SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-16-17, 12:38 PM   #106
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
@ gap : as you're working on the Wildcat's model, could you delete the surface which is hidding the pilot's body ?

... pic ...

Else, would it be possible to create the Hellcat's model, which is very similar to the Wildcat ? Thus, you could create dedicated textures for her !
Hear! Hear! - I vote for a Hellcat airplane, please, and could we "borrow" it for FotRSU in SH4?...

btw, very nice work on the rockets!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 03:32 PM   #107
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Hear! Hear! - I vote for a Hellcat airplane, please, and could we "borrow" it for FotRSU in SH4?...
It seems you have no choice, gap ! (I'm jocking of course )
Old 01-17-17, 05:19 AM   #108
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
@ gap : as you're working on the Wildcat's model, could you delete the surface which is hidding the pilot's body ?

Like this?

This is the model that the_frog pointed us to, and that I started working on. I have already reassenbled its parts in their correct positions, detached the wings from the fuselage (in game, wheels, wheel doors, inner and outer wing sections, guns, ailerons, elevators and rudder will be separate/destroyable parts), corrected some small mistakes and optimized it for use in game. As you know, I am currently creating a set of configurable textures to mimic the various paint schemes applied by USN/USMC and FAA in different war theaters and at various stages of the war. I am almost done with the US versions and I am about to start with the British ones

Quote:
Else, would it be possible to create the Hellcat's model, which is very similar to the Wildcat ? Thus, you could create dedicated textures for her !
Quote:
Quote:
It seems you have no choice, gap ! (I'm jocking of course )
Well, it seems that the Hellcat was not too dissimilar in aspect from its predecessor. At first glance, some of the main differences are the reshaped wing profile, the lower wing position and the different undercarriage configuration

On cgtrader there is a free low-poly model of the aircraft. I didn't look into it yet, buit going by its picture it looks a bit under the standards of the Wildcat model that I am currently working on. On the other hand, Pack 3D got another model, extracted from Damage Inc. Pacific Squadron, but its poly count is a bit too high for our game.

I might overlap the two Hellcat models to the Wildcat one, and modify the latter to look like a Hellcat or I might use the low-poly Hellcat, staright-away or with some detail added, but I wont promise anything at this moment. If in the meanwhile some expert wants to point me to other salient external differences between the two planes, he is the welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
some time ago, Testpilot did a new version of the bomb library; it is included in LSH and CCoM.
Quote:
I don't find the files in my LSH 5.1 installation.
Just in case, here is my version og the 100lb GP US bomb:

And here are the files:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1gfud1...00lb_AN-M30.7z

The model should be ready for importing in game (smoothing groups are removed, faces are triangulated and the model is flipped on its X axis), some edge splitting might be required for it to look god in game though.
You might also want to resize its texture file. Note that I have set the model with two materials: one for the metal fuze, and another for the painted body and fins. Both of them use the same texture. You should set the two materials according to your taste, and add them to the parent node that you want to import the bomb in, before actually importing it... at least this is how you will be prompted by S3d. Dunno if adding the missing material after importing the model will make any difference. Let me know

Quote:
By the way, I can offer Tallboy, Grand Slam and FX1400 3D models ... not of any use, since their characteristics cannot be simulated by SH3/4
Quote:
Why can't the Tallboy, Grand Slam and FX1400 be simulated in SH3 ?
You Migh ask Madox58 a.k.a Privateer, a.k.a Jeff Grooves. He had something like that in the making

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//sho...034#post879034
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 06:44 AM   #109
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon14

@ the_frog : I can no more export the models as .obj files, is it normal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Like this?
....... well... you are just incredible mate !

Quote:
This is the model that the_frog pointed us to, and that I started working on. I have already reassenbled its parts in their correct positions, detached the wings from the fuselage (in game, wheels, wheel doors, inner and outer wing sections, guns, ailerons, elevators and rudder will be separate/destroyable parts), corrected some small mistakes and optimized it for use in game. As you know, I am currently creating a set of configurable textures to mimic the various paint schemes applied by USN/USMC and FAA in different war theaters and at various stages of the war. I am almost done with the US versions and I am about to start with the British ones
Great news !

Quote:
I might overlap the two Hellcat models to the Wildcat one, and modify the latter to look like a Hellcat.
I think it's a good idea. Even if the one of Pack 3D looks really nice. What is the level of detail of the Wildcat model you're working on ?

Quote:
If in the meanwhile some expert wants to point me to other salient external differences between the two planes, he is the welcome
I think this may help you a lot :

Quote:
Just in case, here is my version of the 100lb GP US bomb:

And here are the files:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1gfud1...00lb_AN-M30.7z
I thank you very much for this awesome model, but I won't include it in the first version of this mod. I think it would be better to create a complete library (with labels in pounds and not kilogramms) of well modelled bombs, whereas having several models which are so different between them.

Good work ! Waiting for pics about the Wildcat !

Last edited by Kendras; 01-17-17 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-17-17, 06:48 AM   #110
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Well, it seems that the Hellcat was not too dissimilar in aspect from its predecessor. At first glance, some of the main differences are the reshaped wing profile, the lower wing position and the different undercarriage configuration

On cgtrader there is a free low-poly model of the aircraft. I didn't look into it yet, buit going by its picture it looks a bit under the standards of the Wildcat model that I am currently working on. On the other hand, Pack 3D got another model, extracted from Damage Inc. Pacific Squadron, but its poly count is a bit too high for our game.

I might overlap the two Hellcat models to the Wildcat one, and modify the latter to look like a Hellcat or I might use the low-poly Hellcat, staright-away or with some detail added, but I wont promise anything at this moment. If in the meanwhile some expert wants to point me to other salient external differences between the two planes, he is the welcome
The landing gear of course, retracted into the wings on Hellcat instead of the fuselage, as you noted. The front engine cowling on the Hellcat has an "air scoop", making it more of an oval shape to the Wildcat's round cowling. The Hellcat is "slenderer" through the waist, more "graceful" looking. The Wildcat is "pudgy" looking by comparison, more "round" in the fuselage (like me). The wingspan of the Hellcat is quit a bit wider, if I'm remembering correctly. I used to have models of both hanging from my bedroom ceiling as a kid, and my eyes were always drawn more to the Hellcat. I had visions of becoming a Navy pilot... but alas, I grew too tall - and I was blinded by a lass... - and for some reason, the USN change their planes, and went with jets...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 09:09 AM   #111
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
....... well... you are just incredible mate !
Remember that that model is not mine. It is mostly work of the Air Conflicts - Pacific Carriers developemnt team. I am just "post-producing" it for use in SHIII

Quote:
I think it's a good idea. Even if the one of Pack 3D looks really nice.
See my comment on that model below

Quote:
What is the level of detail of the Wildcat model you're working on ?
I would say very good. Probably over the average of other SHIII planes, both stock and imported, and with a relatively low poly-count. But you can judge yourself:

Here the fighter sports the paint scheme used during Operation Torch: note the yellow rings surrounding the US roundel on the fuselage and under the wings.

Quote:
The landing gear of course, retracted into the wings on Hellcat instead of the fuselage, as you noted. The front engine cowling on the Hellcat has an "air scoop", making it more of an oval shape to the Wildcat's round cowling. The Hellcat is "slenderer" through the waist, more "graceful" looking. The Wildcat is "pudgy" looking by comparison, more "round" in the fuselage (like me). The wingspan of the Hellcat is quit a bit wider, if I'm remembering correctly. I used to have models of both hanging from my bedroom ceiling as a kid, and my eyes were always drawn more to the Hellcat. I had visions of becoming a Navy pilot... but alas, I grew too tall - and I was blinded by a lass... - and for some reason, the USN change their planes, and went with jets...
Quote:
I think this may help you a lot...
Thank you guys, your remarks and drawings are very useful!

After looking at the 3D models that I mentioned in my previous post I noticed the different cowling shape too. Moreover the tailwheel retracted into the fuselage for the Hellcat, the vertical stabilizer was thicker in the latter plane than it was in the Wildcat, and there were many more small differences that one cant spot at first glance.
All in all, the two fighters are only supeficially similar, but they were obviously based on two different projects. Using the Wildcat model as base for the Hellcat might be more work than modelling the latter plane from scratch.
By the way, the gctrader "low poly" model proved more high poly than the one from Pack3D. Another advantage of the Pack 3D model, is that it uses just one texture, which is good if we want the plane to have different paint schemes. I can see if an automatic poly-reduction of it will give good results, otherwise I am afraid we are are left with no other option but drawing a cylinder and starting from there

Quote:
I thank you very much for this awesome model, but I won't include it in the first version of this mod. I think it would be better to create a complete library (with labels in pounds and not kilogramms) of well modelled bombs, whereas having several models which are so different between them.
No problem

A while ago I had planned creating accurate models of the naval/air ordnance used by the main WWII belligerents. Regarding air ordnance, the only models I have worked on so far are the 100lb bomb that you have already seen, and US torpedoes including the FIDO acoustic torpedo. Finding on the web detailed drawings of dismissed US ordnance is relatively easy in these days (not the same for other nation's weaponry).
Modelling the full arsenal of US bombs, together with FAR and HVAR rockets shouldn't take too long. I will let you know when I finish, in case you are interested into having them for your mods
Old 01-17-17, 11:31 AM   #112
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 3

@Gap

Why do you think the polycount is too high?

I just ported a P38 Lighning from Pack3D to SH3 and had no problems at all.
Old 01-17-17, 12:16 PM   #113
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSolo78 View Post
@Gap

I guess you are talking about this model:

http://p3dm.ru/files/5336_amerikansk...ightning-.html

That's a good news, hope to see your work soon
Old 01-17-17, 02:21 PM   #114
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

@ kendras

Tallboys, Grand Slam, FX1400 were guided/precision weapons. I tried to simulate that by "firing" them as gun shells (same as done for the rockets). However, the precision was very poor ...

Here's the bombs library by Testpilot. It is a modified version, with the models partly re-textured. I also replaced the model of the depth charge. And there is the model of the Tallboy as a "normal" bomb.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4aqjfc76rjwp9ys/Bombs.7z
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 02:46 PM   #115
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Tallboys, Grand Slam, FX1400 were guided/precision weapons.
Doh sorry, I mistook Tallboy and Grand Slam for "Little Boy" and "Fat Man". It was to the latter that my previous comment referred to. I should have read more carefully
Old 01-17-17, 03:25 PM   #116
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

... I thought you refered to the explosion of the Grand Slam; that would require some additional materials and particles ....
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 09:36 PM   #117
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I tried your 100lb bomb in my bombs.dat file :

Well, if you modelled it at the proper scale, it seems that you're right :

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap
Looking at the sizes and shapes of stock bomb models, I think devs confused pounds for kilograms, so the 100 kg bomb should be equivalent to the US GP bomb used during WWII.
----

Quote:
Modelling the full arsenal of US bombs, together with FAR and HVAR rockets shouldn't take too long. I will let you know when I finish, in case you are interested into having them for your mods.
Interested. Let me know !
Old 01-17-17, 09:48 PM   #118
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSolo78 View Post

Indeed. I have also a model of Avenger which is very high poly, and there is absolutely no problem in game with it !

The only problem : S3D often makes my computer crash when I work on this plane in S3D. And sometimes, the file gets corrupted ...
Old 01-17-17, 09:52 PM   #119
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon14

Quote:
I would say very good. Probably over the average of other SHIII planes, both stock and imported, and with a relatively low poly-count. But you can judge yourself:

Here the fighter sports the paint scheme used during Operation Torch: note the yellow rings surrounding the US roundel on the fuselage and under the wings.
Indeed, it looks really nice !
Old 01-18-17, 12:10 AM   #120
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I tried your 100lb bomb in my bombs.dat file...

Well, if you modelled it at the proper scale, it seems that you're right
When I have dimensions and scale drawings available (and in the case of American bombs I have plenty of them), I always do. To the millimeter

Quote:
Interested. Let me know !

Quote:
Indeed. I have also a model of Avenger which is very high poly, and there is absolutely no problem in game with it !
This is a wireframe view of the F4F model I am working on:

You see how simple it is by comparison, and why I fell in love with it

The only con I see so far, is that the UV mapping of the fuselage could have been better, but I didnt want to redo it

Quote:
The only problem : S3D often makes my computer crash when I work on this plane in S3D. And sometimes, the file gets corrupted ...
Try re-importing the model without normals and making its textures external. Doing that might help to some degree

Last edited by gap; 01-18-17 at 12:19 AM.