SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-01-17, 05:02 PM   #166
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Look in Zones.cfg for zones defintions assigned to damage boxes of playable subs. For each zone, there are two parameters dealing with fllooding and floatation.
  • Floatability: how much the flooding of each zone affects the floatability of the unit it belongs to (i.e. the volume of the compartment with that zone)
  • FloodingTime: the rate at which water will flow in the compartment, when it is damaged
Yes, I already know this, but it can't solve the problem.

The flooding time is always the same, however the boxe is damaged ?
Old 08-01-17, 05:19 PM   #167
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Yes, I already know this, but it can't solve the problem.

The flooding time is always the same, however the boxe is damaged ?
My suggestion? Ask vdr1981: before working on The Wolves of Steel he messed a lot with SH5 submarine damage (see his mod "Reworked Submarine Damage), and SHIII uses more or less the same files and parameters as SH5.
I have read on his TWoS thread that he is currently changing house though, so he might not reply your questions right away. Maybe keep an eye of thatv thread and wait for him to be back before you get in touch with him, otherwise your query might get lost
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-17, 02:55 PM   #168
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Why ???

Old 08-27-17, 04:05 PM   #169
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

what happened?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-17, 04:58 AM   #170
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I destroyed the P51 with my flak guns, he fell down in the water, then went out of water to crash again in it ... All parameters of the .sim file are the same of the other airplanes which don't have this strange behaviour ....

Maybe an ID conflict again ? ....
Old 08-28-17, 11:15 AM   #171
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I've found how to avoid this problem, by limiting the max speed of aircrafts to 350 kts (even if the real max speed of P51 was 380 ...)
Old 08-28-17, 03:20 PM   #172
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I've found how to avoid this problem, by limiting the max speed of aircrafts to 350 kts (even if the real max speed of P51 was 380 ...)
Maybe the plane is ricochetting on the sea surface? Try resetting its max speed to 380 kts and reduce the rebound coefficient (in CollisionableObject controller) instead
Old 08-28-17, 07:19 PM   #173
propbeanie

so instead of skipping stones on the water, Kendras is skipping planes... - now to just do that with some bombs...

Old 08-29-17, 04:00 AM   #174
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
so instead of skipping stones on the water, Kendras is skipping planes... - now to just do that with some bombs...
That's not a joke lol: airborne depth charges, air torpedoes and ASW bombs ricochetting on the sea surface was a factor that the Allies had to deal with. There are even records of bombs jumping back and exploding against the low-altitude patrol craft that had dropped them. For minimizing/avoiding that risk, pilots were instructed to drop their explosives only at certain speeds/altitudes/angles of attack, and in the course of WWII air ordnance was fitted with a variety of weird-looking appendices whose function was to increase water penetration

I think that could be mimicked in game by making air bombs collisionable and by playing with their rebound coeffcients, but a lot of testing and fine-tunig would be required if we wanted to simulate the different water penetrations of the many bomb marks/mods used during the war
Old 08-29-17, 04:35 AM   #175
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Maybe the plane is ricochetting on the sea surface? Try resetting its max speed to 380 kts and reduce the rebound coefficient (in CollisionableObject controller) instead
It looks like ricochetting, but it's not : the airplane crashes, sinks a few meters below the surface, and rise again to the surface without loosing speed. But I will try to change this setting (rebound coefficient), thanks for the advise. I saw it too, but it's only 0,05, so I decided to not try to change it. But, we never know with this strange hardcode ...

Quote:
That's not a joke lol: airborne depth charges, air torpedoes and ASW bombs ricochetting on the sea surface was a factor that the Allies had to deal with. There are even records of bombs jumping back and exploding against the low-altitude patrol craft that had dropped them. For minimizing/avoiding that risk, pilots were instructed to drop their explosives only at certain speeds/altitudes/angles of attack, and in the course of WWII air ordnance was fitted with a variety of weird-looking appendices whose function was to increase water penetration
Exactly ! I was watching an allied training film dealing with that problem a few months ago.

Quote:
The Allies destroyed a German dam at the end of the war, with a special ricochetting bomb.

Quote:
I think that could be mimicked in game by making air bombs collisionable and by playing with their rebound coeffcients, but a lot of testing and fine-tunig would be required if we wanted to simulate the different water penetrations of the many bomb marks/mods used during the war
Now, I'm more looking towards air dropped torpedoes ...

Old 08-29-17, 05:48 AM   #176
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
It looks like ricochetting, but it's not : the airplane crashes, sinks a few meters below the surface, and rise again to the surface without loosing speed.
That might explain why devs made destroyed planes to always explode in the air in SH5. That limitation was removed by TheDarkWraith with one of his hardcoded patches, but I wonder if anyone has ever made extensive tests on aircraft sinking dynamics since the release of that patch

Quote:
But I will try to change this setting (rebound coefficient), thanks for the advise. I saw it too, but it's only 0,05, so I decided to not try to change it. But, we never know with this strange hardcode ...

Try both to reduce and increase it please, and see if it makes any difference.

Quote:
Exactly ! I was watching an allied training film dealing with that problem a few months ago.
If you are talking about a wartime US training film on air torpedoes, then we have probably watched the same video

Quote:
The Allies destroyed a German dam at the end of the war, with a special ricochetting bomb.
You must be talking about bouncing bombs

Quote:
Now, I'm more looking towards air dropped torpedoes ...
Air torpedoes were subject to the same problem. I don't think they could bounce back against their dropper, but IIRC their tendency to ricochet once they touched the sea surface, affected negatively their depth control system.

[/QUOTE]

Nice screenie, but I think that Swordfish has missed the right timing to release his fish
Old 08-29-17, 07:12 AM   #177
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon7

Quote:
You must be talking about bouncing bombs
Yes, that's their name.

Quote:
Nice screenie, but I think that Swordfish has missed the right timing to release his fish
Yes, indeed, the torpedo can't be launched, it's just an eye candy addition (for now ... ;-)). I was just testing several things at the same time : swordfish flying very low above sea, with new smoke effect for engine failure, and new texture (camo and marks).

I'm interested in loonking closer how to create a working air torpedo attack, but I have not enough time right now (even if already several ideas ). I know that someone (I think it was Rubini) has already created something like that for SH3 but with serious limitations.
Old 08-29-17, 09:46 AM   #178
propbeanie

Rubini has already done the air torpedo. This vid is the homing torp:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...74#post1923374

... but you might want to make changes?...

Old 08-29-17, 12:24 PM   #179
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Rubini has already done the air torpedo ... but you might want to make changes?...
Yes ... if possible.
Old 08-29-17, 04:02 PM   #180
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Rubini has already done the air torpedo. This vid is the homing torp:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...74#post1923374

... but you might want to make changes?...
Quote:
Yes ... if possible.
How do you want to improve it?
IIRC SHIV and 5 have a special controller for air torpedoes (and even with that controller, vanilla air torpedoes are buggy), but it doen's work in SHIII