SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-16-15, 01:23 AM   #1
Gunnarr
Helmsman

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default Gramophone modding

Wondering if anyone could help me to figure out how to add music to the gramophone!

I have MP3 files , but they seem different from the ones listed in the gramophone file.

I just cant imagine just dragging and dropping an mp3 will work! Or will it?
Gunnarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-15, 01:51 AM   #2
rowi58
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 56

Hi Gunnarr,

the best way is to create a small MOD for your MP3 files. Let's say it must have the following strucrure:

GramophoneMOD
-> data
---> Sound
------> Gramophone
---------> PlayMe1.MP3
---------> PlayMe2.MP3
---------> and so on.

You can ad Stereo or Mono MP3 files (or OGG files). The name of the MP3 files is irrelevant - just a suggestion. Put this MOD into your MOD folder and enable it with JSGME.

Alternativ you can directly copy and paste your MP3 files into the folder "data/Sound/Gramophone", but the JSGME variant is better because you can chnage the MP3 files very easy - if you want.

Greetings
rowi58
Old 04-16-15, 09:36 AM   #3
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Although MP3 files will play on most computers, you will avoid trouble if you convert all MP3 files to ogg files before placing them into the above mentioned folder. I use format factory to convert files.
Old 04-16-15, 10:15 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnarr View Post
I just cant imagine just dragging and dropping an mp3 will work! Or will it?
Yes, it will. The problem is that the Gramophone, as mentioned above, doesn't seem to like MP3s very much. They tend to skip for some reason. OGG files are the best, and yes, once converted you can just put them in the Gramophone folder.

I use SH3 Commander to organize my German songs by date, so they don't play until the appropriate year.
Old 04-16-15, 02:51 PM   #5
rowi58
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I use SH3 Commander to organize my German songs by date, so they don't play until the appropriate year.
I do it in a similar way - SH3_Cmdr but not by date, by flotillas. At the moment i don't have problems with the MP3 format - i have 30+ min symphonic suites and they will play from beginning to the end.

To convert MP3 into OGG i suggest Audacity, a very mighty tool - and freeware.

Greetings
rowi58
Old 04-25-15, 07:58 PM   #6
Gunnarr
Helmsman

Hey Guys thanks for the replies!

I know how to do it all now :p

By the way, Sailor Steve and rowi58,

do you make your own selections? Or do you have a mod you like to use for it?

I would love to have the same thing you guys are using, same songs and everything. It would save me the work compiling songs for each year :p I really like the idea of that, I do that in other games too, listening to songs brought out for the in-game year. But I have to alt tab and search for songs on wikipedia and stuff like that for each one, takes a long time. And I know alt tabbing is bad for silent hunter 3 :p
Old 04-25-15, 10:44 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowi58 View Post
I do it in a similar way - SH3_Cmdr but not by date, by flotillas.
Does that mean your music is organized by what part of the world you're in? That's pretty cool.

Quote:
do you make your own selections? Or do you have a mod you like to use for it?
Merry Christmas!
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...p?do=cat&id=25
Old 04-26-15, 08:20 PM   #8
Gunnarr
Helmsman

Quote:
Does that mean your music is organized by what part of the world you're in? That's pretty cool.

Merry Christmas!
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...p?do=cat&id=25

Wow!!! Thanks!

One quick question, so do I just put it in the gramophone folder? Do I have to put a copy of the 1940 songs in every folder marked 1940xxxx for example?

Also, would it be wise to remove the default songs from the normal gramophone folder? (putting them in some folder outside, in case I want to listen to some of them... I really like one of them) I imagine if I do not remove them I will be listening to them just as much as the SH3 Commander songs I add?
Old 04-26-15, 09:35 PM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
One quick question, so do I just put it in the gramophone folder? Do I have to put a copy of the 1940 songs in every folder marked 1940xxxx for example?
After you unzip the 7z folder you will find that the 'German Hits 1940' folder just has the songs, no file path. The path needs to be Date/19400101/Data/Sound/Gramophone. You can put it inside any 1940 folder or even make your own. I have mine spread out over several dates each year so they don't all appear at once.

Or you can just go to SH3 and dump them all in the Gramophone folder. It's much easier that way.

Quote:
Also, would it be wise to remove the default songs from the normal gramophone folder?
Whatever you like. I did, because I wanted all my songs to appear by date, but that's just my personal preference.

Quote:
I imagine if I do not remove them I will be listening to them just as much as the SH3 Commander songs I add?
You can never have too much music.
Old 04-26-15, 10:07 PM   #10
Gunnarr
Helmsman

Quote:
After you unzip the 7z folder you will find that the 'German Hits 1940' folder just has the songs, no file path. The path needs to be Date/19400101/Data/Sound/Gramophone. You can put it inside any 1940 folder or even make your own. I have mine spread out over several dates each year so they don't all appear at once.

Or you can just go to SH3 and dump them all in the Gramophone folder. It's much easier that way.

Whatever you like. I did, because I wanted all my songs to appear by date, but that's just my personal preference.

You can never have too much music.
So, if I put the 1940 hits folder contents into the 19400101/data/sound/gramophone folder, will it just play from then on after hitting that date? Or is it for a limited time? I am confused by this, because in some of these folders are news radio, and it would be weird that they repeat the invasion of poland news report in 1942 or something. but is that how it works?

as to music, I suppose you are right :p
by the way, does having a gramophone on increase chance of detection? I scared to listen to it, I usually only do it when far out at sea or heading out of german waters or returning. I remember from some movie a long time ago that I watched of someone hearing singing and such with a hydrophone or something... I don't want to die from using my gramophone!
Old 04-27-15, 12:09 AM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
So, if I put the 1940 hits folder contents into the 19400101/data/sound/gramophone folder, will it just play from then on after hitting that date? Or is it for a limited time? I am confused by this, because in some of these folders are news radio, and it would be weird that they repeat the invasion of poland news report in 1942 or something. but is that how it works?
I'm not sure myself. I think the older ones stop when the newer ones start, but I never got far enough into a campaign to find out.

Quote:
by the way, does having a gramophone on increase chance of detection? I scared to listen to it, I usually only do it when far out at sea or heading out of german waters or returning. I remember from some movie a long time ago that I watched of someone hearing singing and such with a hydrophone or something... I don't want to die from using my gramophone!
No. They can't hear your music play. They also can't here when you use the echelot to ping for depth. They should, but they don't. I act as if they do. As soon as my lookouts sight a ship the first thing I do is turn the music off. For me it's distracting at that point anyway.

[edit] I was just looking at the folders, and I'm pretty sure now the music sticks around forever. The newer files just add to and dilute the older ones. I say this because I realized that the news reports all have the same exact title: Radio.wav. When a new one of those plays it boots the old one out, because they can't both be there. That's not true of the songs, which all have different names.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 04-27-15 at 12:18 AM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-15, 03:14 AM   #12
Gunnarr
Helmsman

Quote:
I'm not sure myself. I think the older ones stop when the newer ones start, but I never got far enough into a campaign to find out.

No. They can't hear your music play. They also can't here when you use the echelot to ping for depth. They should, but they don't. I act as if they do. As soon as my lookouts sight a ship the first thing I do is turn the music off. For me it's distracting at that point anyway.

[edit] I was just looking at the folders, and I'm pretty sure now the music sticks around forever. The newer files just add to and dilute the older ones. I say this because I realized that the news reports all have the same exact title: Radio.wav. When a new one of those plays it boots the old one out, because they can't both be there. That's not true of the songs, which all have different names.
wow that is actually really clever that it works that way for the radio ones

well with all this info I think I will be able to get this all working now :p thank you again, you are extremely helpful!
Old 12-31-23, 12:56 PM   #13
Lil Skies
Nub

Downloads: 21

Very interesting mod. But it is impossible to determine depth of target. On realistic settings, it is near impossible to hit target controlled by human who use 120-220 meters depth
Lil Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-23, 01:01 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Lil Skies back on the surface after 21 months 'silent running'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-24, 09:22 PM   #15
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default Re

While we're at the Gramophone. I have a collection of WW2 era music. 618 ogg's that I have added. Some were mp3's that I converted to ogg's. Sometimes it seems that maybe 100 or so play more then others. Is there a limited amount of music selections that can be added to SH3 ? I actually inquired about this a few years ago, but never really got an answer .... thanx and Happy New Years to all.