SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-11-12, 10:37 AM   #1
redindus
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Yamato easy to sink due to USN's torpedoes?

Just watched this video on youtube and noticed this submarine (player) launched torpedoes, look like six of them and wasnt sure how many hit yamato's side. Then four more on the other side, so there no way the Yamato can sinks like that. She have very think torpedo blisters, if the torpedoes did hit the samn spot over and over, it could breach through.

Is it possible the player is playing on easy settings? And can you set it so the it would be more balance or enemies harder??

Here the video i mention eariler...
redindus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 04:52 PM   #2
Dive! Dive! Dive!
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 50

I am unsure of what you mean but I will try and give you an answer.

In the game, I don't think it takes into account torpedo blisters. I think what makes the Yamato so hard to sink is the amount of water it can take.

I played the mission "Last Targets" to test this. I put all my forward torpedoes into the ship, creating several holes. Even at that rate, the ship managed to stay afloat for about 45 minutes, continuing to look for me. I raised my periscope again and it still shot at me despite the waterline washing it's decks.

Put a hole in a patrol boat and it'll will go down easy. Yamato can take much more water.
Old 11-13-12, 06:37 AM   #3
Karle94
The Old Man

Downloads: 253

IRL Yamato took 11 torpedoes before she capsized.

Find my mods here:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/lzgciodldp58p/SH4_Mods
My SH4 blog here:
http://karle94.blogspot.com/
Karle94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-13, 04:53 PM   #4
Popeye the Salior
Sailor man

Downloads: 89

yep 11 torpedoes and 17 bomb hits to send her to the bottom she was about as tough as a Essex class carrier
Popeye the Salior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-13, 06:12 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Yamato can take a lot of punishment in SH 4. Esp with the longer sinking times mod for TMO, which sinks ships via flooding and bulkhead damage, not just hit points. I have yet to sink the Yamato with this mod but can say I hit it with 6 fish one time, it had a list but sailed on just fine.Six more probably would have done the job but who knows.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-13, 02:50 PM   #6
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Yamato can take a lot of punishment in SH 4. Esp with the longer sinking times mod for TMO, which sinks ships via flooding and bulkhead damage, not just hit points. I have yet to sink the Yamato with this mod but can say I hit it with 6 fish one time, it had a list but sailed on just fine.Six more probably would have done the job but who knows.
I've only sunk her twice with that mod though both times it was during the sibuyan sea.(I used the hydrogen-peroxide torps for the first one and I got a lucky hit on the second ones engine room that stopped her dead in the water.)
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 01:29 PM   #7
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

I have sank the Yamato several times with TMO. 6 well placed fish will do the trick.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 01:40 PM   #8
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Or one if you hit the sweet spot that sets off the forward magazine.
Set torpedo depth 30 feet, contact. The base of the second turret, set the crosshairs just aft of the forward edge of the turret base and fire. Obviously for a moving BB you have a good chance of hitting someplace that doesn't set off secondary explosions, so fire 3 or 4 at the general area of the forward turrets and hope one of them is the magic bullet.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 09:42 PM   #9
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

In the video the submarine hit with 6 fish on the Yamato's port side ... she then went ahead flank went under the ship and fired her 4 aft tubes. One was a dud you can hear and the other three hit making 9 fish hits.

9 fish from both sides should always be enough in the game to sink the battleship. No matter which mod your using. I have done it with many including TMO and RSRD.

The easiest place to find the Yamato is coming down the Bungo Straights ... if I hit her right it only takes 6 spread along her starboard side to sink her. Sometimes 8.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-14, 10:21 PM   #10
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166

Do what I did find the Yamato in Davao harbor south Mindanao at anchor...With a Nippon maru 3 horai maru's 2 kitern maru's several buzen maru's and other support ships..First 2 torps for the Nippon maru the next 2 for a horai maru and 2 torps for a buzen maru...Head sw at 2 knots while those targets are brewing up,line up the stern torp tubes and send 2 into a kitern maru and a runyan maru...When things finally stop exploding you should have racked up about 120,000 tons...Including the Yamato..I love this sim!!!