SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-12, 10:33 AM   #1
SubTroll
Watch

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Default British Medium Old Tanker

Am I the only one that has noticed this, but there have been many instances of me firing a torpedo at a British Medium Old Tanker, hitting it and causing a lot of damage, yet not sinking!?! These little crap-boxes are also very resilient against deck gun fire, it seems, considering that they are only about 2800 tons! You would think the ship would get obliterated by a well-aimed torpedo!

Just for record, I've destroyed several of the massive T3 tankers WITH ONE TORPEDO! Is there something wrong here?!
SubTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 06:27 AM   #2
Littica Marek
Watch

Downloads: 38

Never underestimate British Engineering.... for good and ill.

That said i have had the *lighter* ships take huge amounts of damage and seem to just plod on like its nothing
Littica Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 06:00 AM   #3
Hardigen
Sparky

Downloads: 165
Default resilience

I too have had the same effect . put 2 fish in one and she went on her merry way with a slight list to port .(have to get closer ) maybe .
Hardigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 08:07 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

In all the SH games there seem to be certain ships that are just 'wrong'. I'm not sure what, if anything, can be done about it.
Old 06-28-12, 01:30 PM   #5
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

No Subtroll, you're not the only one.

I have had similar experiences. I just attribute it to good emergency reaction by the crew closing all watertight doors, and all. But I have had ships of the same class take one torpedo to sink, and others take half the loadout to sink, and then finish them off with the deckgun at close range hitting below the waterline, raking the entire flank side of the ship before she gave off that telltale explosion that either sets a chain reaction of smaller explosions, or she finally heels over and goes down.

Just the breaks you get with the hand you're dealt, is all.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 05:33 PM   #6
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

I would play with your depth settings.

I too have seen lighter craft use what would seem to be far to many torpedos only to have others sink in one. The most notable difference was my depth settings. Setting way to shallow put the fish to high on the water line. Like spoken of in an earlier reply if it is set with an efficient damage control group they can take care of it quickly.

If the fish are deeper and closer to the keel when struck or using the magnetic detonators actually under the ship then far more damage and flooding is caused.
merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 06:00 PM   #7
SilentOtto
Engineer

Downloads: 71

I am now reading "Silent Victory" (awesome book!) and Clay Blair states clearly that tankers (japanese in this case but should be mostly the same) were really hard to sink IRL, sometimes being able to take in between 4 and 10 (!) torpedos before sinking.

The main reason was, they are already very well divided in compartments which are isolated, have specialized crew and are overall better built. He wrote that they usually sank/were abandoned from uncontrolled fires, but could be really hard to sink with american torps.

My 0.02 eur!
SilentOtto is offline   Reply With Quote