SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-14, 10:44 PM   #16
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

That looks interesting, I do know that the glider was built and even displayed for a period of time after the Americans liberated Colditz and then afterwards when Colditz ended up as part of East Germany the glider vanished, some say the Russians burned it, other say it's still hidden there but who knows. In the game Prisoner of War they got the location of where the glider was constructed but it was launched in the wrong direction.

@Eichhornchen you probably can get Hogan's Heroes on DVD in the UK although I'm really not sure you could get it the Region 2 format, you could change the regions with Windows Media Player but it's limited to 5 times.

Old 08-20-14, 10:47 PM   #17
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhornchen View Post
Years ago, when my second home was the pub, a bunch of like-minded pals and I determined we would get hold of the board game "Escape From Colditz" and immerse ourselves in some regular alcohol-fuelled adventure. The beer-goggles would have proved a hindrance to escape, I'm sure, but then the Germans wouldn't have been able to shoot straight either. I don't think any of us would've got far.

My mate Keith said he would only play if he could be the Germans. Fair enough, but we never got around to it. Has anyone played the game and was it any good? It probably would have still been much more fun than the best pc game, and we might even have finished the evening locked up for real...
I played it with some mates as a kid back in the late '70's. It was a bit of fun. The series Colditz was pretty fun as well. I sat and watched the whole lot a few months ago on youtube. Brought back some good memories of watching it when it was first on TV.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 01:29 AM   #18
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default Tom Jones?

Yes I remember him well, but you got me, Pal: I speak about as much Welsh as your average Berliner. Cariad Bach (and I'm not even sure if THAT'S the correct spelling) means something like "dearest love" and used as a term of endearment. Well, my dad was at the checkout in a supermarket in Pwllheli once and asked the girl if he could have a carrier-bag (this is true, by the way). Well the way he used to speak English, he'd have said something like "currier bug". She gave him what my Mum would call an "Old-Fashioned Look".
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 01:33 AM   #19
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default OOOPS! TOM JONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefour View Post
If the British military had used Welsh or for that matter, Gaelic as a code language and encrypted it, that would have really confounded the hell out of german intelligence. As it was, the B-Dienst was reading almost as much of Allied coms as Bletchley Park was reading Enigma. The problem was that the High Command had their head up their Arsch in insisting that Enigma was unbreakable.

Windtalkers was an excellent movie. By the way, remember The Tom Jones show? Forgive me if I screw up badly with the spelling but... Gwyn eich byd a dymunaf i chwi lawenydd bob amser!
Sorry, Joefour, I didn't realise this had become so popular and we'd turned the page: see above for my reply...
Old 08-21-14, 01:39 AM   #20
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
I can't say 'shibboleth' after two tots myself! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shibboleth
I just read this and I suppose we shouldn't be at all surprised that those Gileadites thought of it first, but the BELGIANS?
Old 08-21-14, 01:44 AM   #21
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako88sb View Post
Talking about Colditz reminds me of a movie I seen ages ago. Must be about 40 yrs since I seen it and like the pow's at Colditz, they decided to build a glider. Unlike the actual facts, they managed to launch it. I can't remember much else about it such as if anybody actually escaped. One thing I do remember is that they were trying to find some way to cover the frame and ended up using their breakfast porridge to help with that. Obviously they were using some type of fabric and I'm not sure what exactly the porridge was supposed to do. I just remember the camp cook saying he didn't understand what was going on because all the prisoners were coming back for seconds when usually they couldn't stand it.

I had searched IMDB about a year ago under pow movies but nothing came up. Just tried under google and found the movie I'm talking about:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066833/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I'll have to see if I can track down a copy.
Yes! Yes! I'd forgotten all about that movie but I did see it too, YEARS AGO. Now I gotta have it! The porridge was supposed to "dope" the fabric and make it taut. Thanks for finding that for me, chum...

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 08-21-14 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-21-14, 01:53 AM   #22
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Hellmut Neuerburg View Post
That looks interesting, I do know that the glider was built and even displayed for a period of time after the Americans liberated Colditz and then afterwards when Colditz ended up as part of East Germany the glider vanished, some say the Russians burned it, other say it's still hidden there but who knows. In the game Prisoner of War they got the location of where the glider was constructed but it was launched in the wrong direction.

@Eichhornchen you probably can get Hogan's Heroes on DVD in the UK although I'm really not sure you could get it the Region 2 format, you could change the regions with Windows Media Player but it's limited to 5 times.

You're right about the glider, but there is a one-third scale replica hanging in a museum at East Kirkby airfield, Lincolnshire. I think the camouflage was a blue Gingham-Check.

I've seen the DVDs on sale and, as you say, I'd have to use that special thingy to switch regions (is that still included in Windows 8?) No matter, since there would probably be too many discs to convert.
Old 08-21-14, 02:01 AM   #23
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarJak View Post
I played it with some mates as a kid back in the late '70's. It was a bit of fun. The series Colditz was pretty fun as well. I sat and watched the whole lot a few months ago on youtube. Brought back some good memories of watching it when it was first on TV.
I got the boxed-set. I remember my Mum (again...) had a thing about the German security officer. Wasn't he about the only German actor in that? He looked the part, though. And in the way that some of these characters were fictionalised for film and TV, I think he was loosely based on a bloke called Reinhold Eggers (are you reading this, Reinhold?) who himself wrote a book.
By all accounts he was a pretty good Eggers, too...
Old 08-21-14, 02:27 AM   #24
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

This is supposed to be a photo of the original glider:

TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 03:13 AM   #25
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Yes, got that photo; you can go up into this roofspace and work on the glider in the pc game, as pointed out by Kptlt. Hellmut above. They did a pretty good rendition of the castle, with lots of places to sneak about in...

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 08-21-14 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-21-14, 04:42 AM   #26
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default Herr Eggers' book

(Published in 1973)

I had a friend who owned a second-hand bookstore and he regarded me through half-closed eyes once as he dropped another "kriegie" volume into my bag and said he thought there must be something deep within my psyche (something wrong, I assume) for me to be collecting all this stuff. "I think it must say something about you" he told me.

He should've got on my wife's case: she's the gentlest soul, with her card-making and all, but she's into zombie slasher movies...

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 09-02-14 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-21-14, 09:03 AM   #27
mako88sb
XO

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Yes! Yes! I'd forgotten all about that movie but I did see it too, YEARS AGO. Now I gotta have it! The porridge was supposed to "dope" the fabric and make it taut. Thanks for finding that for me, chum...
Your welcome. Actually, your thread reminded me to search for it again so I owe you some thanks as well. I ordered it off amazon.ca last night and should have it by Monday. Sounds like about 10 mins has been edited out of it however although it's been so long since I seen it that it shouldn't be a problem.
mako88sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 09:10 AM   #28
Joefour
Engineer

Downloads: 109
Default Shibboleth, Sibboleth

Quote:
I just read this and I suppose we shouldn't be at all surprised that those Gileadites thought of it first, but the BELGIANS?

The man knows his Bible. I looked into the Welsh language quite some time ago because I had come across some recordings of Welsh mens' choruses.
Spectacularly beautiful, they send chills up and down your spine. One I always like to listen to is Cwm Rhondda (pronounced Koom Rhontha, with the th voiced), often called in english "Bread of Heaven".

"I love the smell of burning oil slicks in the morning. It smells like...Victory!"
Joefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 11:00 AM   #29
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Do you know the last time I heard that, I was standing in the Cathedral in 's-Hertogenbosch listening to a Welsh male-voice choir. I'd gone to Holland with my dad on his (as it happens) last veterans' anniversary trip.

It was unbelievable the way even young people outside in the City streets were running up to these old guys with flowers and hugs as they marched by. I really can't see us Brits demonstrating our gratitude in quite such a manner if it'd been us. We'd probably hide indoors until they'd gone.

Aktungbby gets all the credit for providing the historical contexts (see his link above, but I don't know what happened to his original reply)

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 08-21-14 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-21-14, 02:24 PM   #30
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Here's a good one:

Stalag 17

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046359/

Otto Preminger as camp commandant!

This is the movie that inspired the TV show Hogans Heroes. Even has a character named Sgt Schultz (played by Sig Ruman).

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote