SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-22-11, 04:04 PM   #1261
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 0

i cant even draw a ship from a start:/ help request
chrysanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 08:52 PM   #1262
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

I hate dragging this thread back up, but I'm having problems viewing the model in 3D view. I'm getting things like this

and this

Now, I've discovered that using my screencap tool, it kinda removed this nonsense and gives me a view of the model, but selecting nodes does nothing.
the second screencap shows what happened after i minimized the 3d viewer window and reopened it. another screencap removed it, and the view changed, so its responding to the mouse commands and such, its the view that is broken.

anyone experiencing this?
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 01:35 PM   #1263
polyfiller
Weps

Downloads: 40

Need to report OS version and video card - try sending onfo to Swas and see if he's able to suggest anything. If you don't know how to get hold of him, let me know.
polyfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 02:02 PM   #1264
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

I suggest running a 3D benchmark to test your graphics card and see if the benchmark is generating similar rendering errors because either you just have a driver problem, or your memory or graphics card is about to die...
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 04:14 PM   #1265
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

My GFX card is doing alright actually.

The only thing I have changed since the last time I remember S3D working was adding another gig of RAM to my PC.

I have 4 dual-channel slots, I used to have 2 matching 1 GB in one pair, and a pair of matching 512's in the other.

Now I have 4 all around matching 1 GB chips in all 4 slots.

I'll run a 3d benchmark through DXDIAG, see if somethings up there.

I'm running an ASUS (ATI) HD3450 with 512 VRAM, AGP

EDIT:
ROTFLMAO!
I digress Skwas, it seems its not a problem at all...I have a free download manager, whose "quick download" box sits on the 3d viewer screen. I closed out of the FDM, and lo and behold the view works again!
another edit. its not over yet. Hang on, i got an unhandled exception error, I'll send you a PM with the error report.
so far it's only happened with the king George V class we are working on for the Surface Warfare mod, other ships haven't given me any trouble yet
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!

Last edited by Sledgehammer427; 03-22-11 at 04:47 PM.
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 10:36 AM   #1266
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for this great tool Skywasjer.

just a suggestion, a "recent files" clearance button would be cool.
Old 06-25-11, 03:26 AM   #1267
skwasjer
The Old Man

Thanks.

However, I am not developing S3D anymore. If you really wish to empty the MRU, remove this block

Code:
<setting name="Mru" serializeAs="Xml">
... data for mru
</setting>
from this file:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\skwas\S3D_StrongName_gnaeuc52jjzfy2 lgwyxvotgztlpqs1qe\1.0.0.0\user.config.

Make sure S3D is closed when you do.
Old 06-25-11, 08:16 AM   #1268
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default skywasjer

I watched the video of your band. Very Nice!
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 03:41 AM   #1269
skwasjer
The Old Man

Thanks
Old 06-26-11, 06:10 PM   #1270
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

I recently re-installed SHIV Gold and I used a different install path then before.

Now when using Silent 3ditor to Disable/Enable any MOD, S3D launches another instance of JSGME and can not find any MOD's to Disable/Enable.

Is there a easy way to correct this issue?

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 07:05 AM   #1271
skwasjer
The Old Man

S3D checks the install dir regkeys for JSGME and/or SH. Check if either of these keys are correct. I don't know the exact registrykeys, but try a global search... (and be carefull with regedit )
Old 10-30-11, 04:55 PM   #1272
postalbyke
Chief

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 1

I've been digging for a while, but haven't found the answer yet...
(I haven't stopped looking, I'm just asking while I look)
I can't see textures or ambient occlusions in S3D... I can get the 3D preview box, I can see a black blob for the model, I can make it into a wireframe, I can see vertices, I just can't get the "skin" to show up.
I have re-installed S3D, and ensured that I have the correct video card drivers and DirectX9.0c.

Suggestions?

I will be starting a thread for my project soon in the mods section of SH3 forum.
Old 10-31-11, 06:15 PM   #1273
skwasjer
The Old Man

I have no idea man, does your GPU support pixel shader 2? (although I can't imagine it doesn't since this is quite old technology by now)

If yes, then if it's not a brightness thing (try moving the brightness/contrast sliders in S3D), then it seems like a path issue. Keep in mind that if you open DAT-files outside of the regular game structure S3D will not be able to resolve textures. F.ex. opening a DAT-file copy from the desktop will give you this problem.

The exception is with JSGME, S3D should detect if you edit files under MODS-folder, and adjust paths accordingly (local search in mod first, then in game dir). Perhaps something goes wrong here?
Old 10-31-11, 08:36 PM   #1274
postalbyke
Chief

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer View Post
I have no idea man, does your GPU support pixel shader 2? (although I can't imagine it doesn't since this is quite old technology by now)

If yes, then if it's not a brightness thing (try moving the brightness/contrast sliders in S3D), then it seems like a path issue. Keep in mind that if you open DAT-files outside of the regular game structure S3D will not be able to resolve textures. F.ex. opening a DAT-file copy from the desktop will give you this problem.

The exception is with JSGME, S3D should detect if you edit files under MODS-folder, and adjust paths accordingly (local search in mod first, then in game dir). Perhaps something goes wrong here?
Awesome list of suggestions, will try now!

edit: "I" support pixel shader 3, changed brightness to no avail, and tried opening an "in-game" file... no dice... I can, however, get skins on ship models and exterior parts... just not interiors... beginning to wonder if my computer is really too old to do this :P Christmas is coming, tho!

edit edit: By the way, this is the most amazing bit of "free" (It wasn't free for you, the amount of time you've spent on it is amazing) programming I've ever used! It runs awesomely on my laptop, and all the features make modding and tweaking a breeze! You are truly a "god" among men! Many thanks, my friend!

Last edited by postalbyke; 10-31-11 at 08:59 PM.
postalbyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 06:42 PM   #1275
skwasjer
The Old Man

Thanks, appreciate it.

Perhaps try a cleanup:
  1. Uninstall S3D
  2. Check install path of S3D if it actually is completely removed. If not, do manually. (default: C:\Program Files (x86)\skwas for 64-bit or C:\Program Files\skwas for 32-bit)
  3. Remove all subfolders under %localappdata%\skwas (this is where settings are stored)
  4. Reinstall S3D
Did it previously work on this system? Are you running the last version of S3D (0.9.9)?

Are you running some tools that modify/monitor/control DirectX like Riva tuner, a 3D screen grabber, etc. (try turning off if you do).

Some tools that monitor and hook DirectX (f.ex. to render an overlay) have been reported to cause issues.

On the flip side, some of these tools could actually maybe solve it, by forcing DirectX to 'not' use anisotrophic and/or antialiasing (which S3D does use if your GPU supports it).

Just some idea's...