SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-19, 02:29 PM   #16
jimbob
Ensign

Downloads: 365
Uploads: 6

Here's my take on this, and a funny tip in the end:

The trend these days for games is that they publish half-a-game as early access , some even as a "full-game" (X4-Foundations for example) and they still suck at the launch, bigtime...

If we get lucky there's going to be enough patches to make these games playable/enjoyable later.

However, frustration is what folks will get, me included.

My tip is, just wait about a half a year after the game is available before buying, or even more and get a nice price on sales.
And check out reviews on Steam or here in subsim, you get the picture...

But then again, I did not heed my own advice, haha, jokes on me etc.
I was backin' Uboat and bought X4 when it was released, uBoat is early access and X4 was very lame/broken at the launch, now it's gettin better thought.

Took some time to get use to this U-Boat game and I'm starting to like it, sort of,
it will need a lot of patching and modding tools and I hope they keep coming.

Meanwhile, take a look at those *.xlxs files on \UBOAT_Data\Data Sheets folder, I've been able to mod some values and see the effect in game.
Also, I don't really know what I'm doing but it's fun and kill's the time as any other game...

For example, in Sandbox.xlxs and in the Reputation Purchases tab,
change the cost to 0 and you get free reputation purchases from leading officer at port, here's a link to a pic I just made to illustrate my point:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZPd...ew?usp=sharing

Changes made with Libre Office
https://www.libreoffice.org/

Excuse me but now I'm going to edit those xlxs files even more, the fun is that
when the game farts, I dunno if it really was because of my editing or just a bug.
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-19, 04:26 PM   #17
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Welcome aboard!

falcon1823!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-19, 04:39 PM   #18
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Anyone expecting a silent hunter six type game needs to head back to grammar school and learn to read.

this game is epic in my opinion, even in its alpha phase... and the modding potential is off the charts.
Old 05-09-19, 06:03 PM   #19
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Downloads: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
I see a lot of negative posts about this game, and I think that a part of the reason for that is that many people were expecting Silent Hunter 6.
Anyone with a working brain, eyes and a computer knew this was never going to be SH6 and to say otherwise shows an utter lack of a grasp on reality, as well as a belief system built on nothing but your own imagination.

This *always* was a micro-management sim, that just happened to be on a uboat.

What, I think, is causing some blow back, is that recent videos from the dev team in the months prior to early access showed a lot more polish and a lot more focus on the traditional silent hunter type combat, than the game actually - in its current state - has.

This might be deception in their part, a change in direction not properly communicated, or - much more likely - that they’ve bitten off more than they can chew.

It’s quite true 80% of features in software take 80% of the time, but the last 20% takes much longer. Add to this the small and relatively new team, little funding and very lofty goals and I don’t think that this game will ever be a fully functioning polished game.

I see this falling by the wayside like a lot of other early access games.

There is no polish, very poor design decisions in terms of UI/UX and overall game loop cohesiveness; it’s a *very* ambitious project, and I wish them well, but it’s a mammoth task and they don’t have the demonstrable skill sets or personnel to ensure it’s done correctly, on-time and on-budget.

To say it’s mediocre response is mainly based on false expectations from the community is a falsehood and naive at best; we’re mostly all grown ups here; expectation was set from the dev pre release videos and their blog posts.

What entered early access was mostly what they told us it would be, just woefully buggy, incoherent, poorly quality controlled and shallow.

Seems some people here just like to tantrum that every sub game released isn’t SH6 even when the developers never they would be and made that fact abundantly clear.

Again, perhaps only to those with eyes, a brain and ability to read.

TL;DR - there is no SH6. No one is making SH6. Get over it already. How many more imperfect versions of a WW2 game do we need? If SH3 post mods is the gold standard, nothing even on paper is coming down the line to replace that. Build a bridge and get over it.
Elphaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-19, 07:05 PM   #20
bmaxa
Swabbie

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
Anyone with a working brain, eyes and a computer knew this was never going to be SH6 and to say otherwise shows an utter lack of a grasp on reality, as well as a belief system built on nothing but your own imagination.

This *always* was a micro-management sim, that just happened to be on a uboat.

What, I think, is causing some blow back, is that recent videos from the dev team in the months prior to early access showed a lot more polish and a lot more focus on the traditional silent hunter type combat, than the game actually - in its current state - has.

This might be deception in their part, a change in direction not properly communicated, or - much more likely - that they’ve bitten off more than they can chew.

It’s quite true 80% of features in software take 80% of the time, but the last 20% takes much longer. Add to this the small and relatively new team, little funding and very lofty goals and I don’t think that this game will ever be a fully functioning polished game.

I see this falling by the wayside like a lot of other early access games.

There is no polish, very poor design decisions in terms of UI/UX and overall game loop cohesiveness; it’s a *very* ambitious project, and I wish them well, but it’s a mammoth task and they don’t have the demonstrable skill sets or personnel to ensure it’s done correctly, on-time and on-budget.

To say it’s mediocre response is mainly based on false expectations from the community is a falsehood and naive at best; we’re mostly all grown ups here; expectation was set from the dev pre release videos and their blog posts.

What entered early access was mostly what they told us it would be, just woefully buggy, incoherent, poorly quality controlled and shallow.

Seems some people here just like to tantrum that every sub game released isn’t SH6 even when the developers never they would be and made that fact abundantly clear.

Again, perhaps only to those with eyes, a brain and ability to read.

TL;DR - there is no SH6. No one is making SH6. Get over it already. How many more imperfect versions of a WW2 game do we need? If SH3 post mods is the gold standard, nothing even on paper is coming down the line to replace that. Build a bridge and get over it.

I think that they fix bugs fast now as we are beta testers. Obviously they lacked that.
Game is more fun to me then SH5, but obviously not finished yet. First they have to iron out bugs and that would be done within 2-3 months I think because sheer number of testers.
bmaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 08:00 AM   #21
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

It'll be worth revisiting this game in about six months. That's my plan anyway.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 10:40 AM   #22
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120

I honestly don't get the desire for an SH6 or clone. Last night I played some sh4(modded) as I am much more interested in fleet boats and honestly it's a few torpedo solutions and mostly staring at the map screen 95% of the time. Other than these torpedo solutions and navigational decisions including fuel management there isn't a whole lot going on. Damage control is super simple, crew concerns basically boil down to if they are in the right compartment and mostly everything else is automatic.

I understand everybody has their preferences in what they find fun in a game. I personally like the idea of taking a green crew and over time and experience building them into a veteran crew while improving my sub with evolving technology. I also find it interesting to manage my damage control efforts as well as simple tasks like worrying about the bilge levels. This gives me something to think about while cutting search patterns in the sea. I personally wouldn't call a game a simulation where you on a multi person platform as the captain man every station, but that is my opinion.

People saying that this game is like the sims, obviously have never played the sims because the micromanagement aspect of that game is this x 1000. I also agree that this was never going to be SH6 and the information from the backers, and guys streaming this game for a month made this abundantly clear. Yes it has some issues as every piece of software in alpha does. I have no idea why anyone would mod a game that is not feature complete to be honest. They didn't stop making the silent hunter games because they were great games that sold well, they stopped making them because they delivered a drm riddled turd and turned off the niche market that even knew their product existed. I hope this game never resembles SH in any way.
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote