Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 10-03-10, 03:59 PM   #1
O_Smiladon
Mate

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0
Default Multiplayer Tank sim

Hi Guys and Salute,
Well some of you know my new found love in tank simming, I am wondering and I am sure it is down in the thousands of treads and replies down here, So I will ask the Question again and sorry if it has been asked before.
Apart from Steel beast (which is not WW2) what is the best Multiplayer Tank sim out there at the moment?
Alas TvT is there but no support.
Thanks for your time guys
O_Smiladon

Old 10-03-10, 04:08 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I think you already have run out of reasonable options if you already scratched SBP and TvT off your list. SF has no multiplayer.
Old 10-03-10, 04:19 PM   #3
O_Smiladon
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I think you already have run out of reasonable options if you already scratched SBP and TvT off your list. SF has no multiplayer.

Really ! wow well that tells me that there is a whole in that market that needs to be filled,

But by who ? and what ? Is the next big question ..Any ideas if you guys know of anything?

Once again thanks for your replys.

O_Smiladon
O_Smiladon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10, 06:47 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

I think I will never understand why people are so obsessed with WWII tank sims if a superb and one of the best simulations in general that ever hit the market, is easily available, SBP.

Check the SBP resources sticky, there is a link to a long essay I wrote on how to set up SBP with Leopard-1 and switched off high tech so that you fight with visual sights only like they did in WWII. And if MP is what you want - one can say that SBP is OPTIMISED for MP, for that is it's original primary market with the military.

If you favour the looks of WWII, then there is npothing I can point you at what you do not already know. If you do not know SBP and have no idea what it is capable of, I can help you. It stands apart from all other tank games, and that is for a reason. The latest version even has - although non crewable - T-55s, T-64, anmd M60s now. There are two - crewable - versions of the Leopard-1, though, one of which comes without thermal sights by default (the Australian).

Finally, there is a series of fully modelled IFVs as well. You could set up your scenarios to use them only, and also strip them off all hightech gadgets so that you must aim and gun all manually without laser, thermals, dynamic lead etc.

Check the SBP resources for the WWII essay, the links are there.

Edit:

Bah, here it is:

How to simulate WWII-like battles with SBP:

part 1 http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...3&postcount=53

part 2 http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...5&postcount=54

part 3 http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...6&postcount=55

Last edited by Skybird; 10-03-10 at 06:59 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10, 07:07 PM   #5
O_Smiladon
Mate

Hay Skybird,

Thanks for your replys much appreciated.

Mate I have to say the The MP thing for me it is the human factor that you just dont get with single based mission platfroms AI is ok but nothing like the human oppent and knowing you are up against a real person not a computer. Plus not to mention the fact the you can team up with a mate from the other part of the world and rumble off on a mission together to get the bad guys..

You just cant get that feeling through single based missions

Sorry I have missed your point re Steel beast pro.. Umm it is very nice but whats a tank sim without the most 2nd important thing to a tank??? Its suspension.. Mate I turn on out side views when playing Tvt and love to watch the suspension moving up and down its great and even then i think it could be a little better, Plus no shadows. And I know that for the military thats not a issues hence we dont tsee it there.

O_Smialdon

Last edited by O_Smiladon; 10-03-10 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-03-10, 07:23 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

If suspension is what tank sims are about for you, then I cannot say anything on that. The military obviously does not miss it. To me it is not even something worth to note.

I think some of the arguments against SBP that some people bring up, are strange, really. Some stay away because it has no crewable T-72. Some because it has no animated suspension. One guy some days ago complained because the latest upgrade with 20 new vehicles, many of them crewable, were not good enough for him. I play SBP since 4.5 years, even much longer if countring SB1 as well. I never have missed suspension even for a second when playing. Nor have I ever missed shadows. You simply do not have the attention span left to care for these things if you play. They are minor, cosmetical. By focussing on one or two minor single things, they miss and ignore the huge and immense wealth of details and options it offers. That is not - economical.

On MP, you seem to have missed my point. SBP is the sim of choice if you want MP: stable, and described by players to be a blast. I take their word for it, I do not play MP myself. Whether or not you play MP in WWII style like described or not, is to be negotiated between you and the other players.

However, before people think I am again missionising for SBP, I leave it here.
Old 10-03-10, 07:40 PM   #7
O_Smiladon
Mate

Thanks Skybird,

Yes I get your point...SBP may well be my best option..And I dont think you are missionising for SBP, You enjoy the sim that is clear and your remarks on the sim are very good.
O_Smiladon

If I do get it I will try and convincfe you to have a MP with me...

Cheers Skybird

Regards

O_Smiladon
Old 10-04-10, 12:26 AM   #8
Gary Owen
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Smiladon View Post
..Any ideas if you guys know of anything?

Once again thanks for your replys.

O_Smiladon
Red Orchestra and Darkest Hour have tanks.

1st US Volunteer Cav
Gary Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 03:11 AM   #9
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default MP Games

Red orchestra is the WWII MP game by excellence however it's first and foremost a First Person Shooter more than a sim.SP is virtually inexistent and the MP community is very numerous and active.

Otherwise there are duds like Panzer Elite Action Fields of Glory and Dunes of War which have MP.But they 're really hard core arcade games and not for those craving a bit of realism and authenticity.

Panzer Elite is otherwise the only other WWII tanksim with active MP.Not a bad one at all rejuvenated by many mods and improvements but it's still a 12 year-old game.Lots of tanks, mods and campaigns/maps though.

WWII-wise there are lots of RTS which offer MP; Men of war, Company of Heroes, Soldiers Heroes of WWII, Codename Panzers etc...
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 09:34 AM   #10
ReM
Commodore

Downloads: 19

Although I wouldn't call it sim, the Wii has a nice multiplayer tank game:

Seriously: world of tanks should be nice and it is free. You might want to check their website: http://www.worldoftanks.com/
Old 10-04-10, 10:35 AM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

I just watched the gameplay video (nopt the trailor) of World of Tanks, at their website. A pure arcade action shooter. If that is what one is looking for, okay. But nothing in it is a sim, obviously. It is not even close to a simulation.

Remindeds me more of something the like of Destruction Derby.
Old 10-04-10, 03:17 PM   #12
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

True Skybird, WOT is not a sim to be certain. It is a MMO and created to be just that. I do enjoy playing WOT but I'm uncertain if the game has a very long replay value. However, for MMO I think WOT is about all we have to play at the moment. What kind of stinks is the paying month to month for a premium account. I figure after 12 months I could have purchased the basic SB tank simulator for $120.00.
Old 10-04-10, 04:24 PM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
What kind of stinks is the paying month to month for a premium account.
Oh, I did not check it long enough to even notice this, just watched that video, and scratched my head. Well, if that leasing-model is the way they "sell" it, then this is what would have killed the whole thing for me at the latest.

Thats the great thing if you have followed computer gaming for the past 25 years, get slowly tired of it and lose interest in much stuff of it: you can leave the latest supermodern imo questionable sales policies and game designs behind and fold on them from beginning on - without feeling remorse or regret to have "missed something".
Old 10-04-10, 05:46 PM   #14
O_Smiladon
Mate

Well Skybird I did it, As its my birthday next week I ordered my copy of Steel Beast pro PE today.

Might have to pick your brain for some pointers..

I see a Skybird03 on the forums is that you ?

Anyway looking forward to getting it and giving it ago.

O_Smiladon
Old 10-04-10, 06:22 PM   #15
Lieste
Soundman

I might chime in too, as I know the software pretty well... Not on every day but I do run SB regularly for fun as well as for testing.
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote