SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-10, 10:15 AM   #1156
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Does it matter? I have no idea how much time is involved but my controller parser can't deal with SH5 right now properly because some controllers that exist in SH3/SH4 have been updated and some new ones are introduced. I need to add new controller definitions without interfering with the older definitions much like you see two menu's now in S3D for both SH3/SH4. The controller definitions themselfs aren't the problem, but updating my parser is. This alone takes at least a few days. Then there's other problems that would need to be resolved as well, it isn't just with the controllers. You may think it fully supports dats, but how can you be so sure? For all I know it has some new bits and bytes in some places that S3D doesn't understand, saving the file causing it to go corrupt or worse, make a file work but unstable. THen there's the obvious lack of support for 3D files (gr2), which is a huge problem. So I need to test many files, then I need to update my installer, website, etc. And I don't like doing half work anyway, so it isn't going to happen.

You could try changing the controller definitions yourself. Check out \controllers folder. Make a mod for S3D...

Donations are always welcome btw, but please don't use it as an incentive to 'get me to do more stuff'. I find that a bit of an insult.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 10:27 AM   #1157
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0

thanks a lot for this answer...

this is promising, as long facing the facts. i simply do not have any coding skills and just looked into the controller files. thought: you must be kidding...meaning ME to change it. i sincere would love to be able to!!!

cause then:

i wouldnt have to crouch around on my knees to bag for some help on the new dats here and could do everything on myself.

now, i guess. you take your time...and maybe rethink this in a quite, calm moment. maybe you can change your tool or maybe not. i can just ask for help, nothing else.

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 08:35 PM   #1158
VonHesse
Sailor Man

Downloads: 43

I just wanted to say thank you , Skwasjer. That's it. Thanks for S3D.

I got it about a month ago, and have been trying to learn how to use it, and all the cool things it does. I have to admit that when I first got it, I was so excited to get to modding that I ignored the "donation" popup with the intention of donating later (no internet on my gaming computer, anyways). Then I got so busy modding that donating slipped my mind entirely.

Seeing your recent posts, and realising that I too had neglected to donate made me ashamed of myself. Well, donation sent. You've earned every penny, and if I had more to give, you would have earned that too.

Thanks again, and sorry it took so long.
VonHesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 09:15 AM   #1159
skwasjer
The Old Man

Hey thanks VonHesse, appreciate it.

Urfisch, I hope you see it's not that I don't want to support SH5 or that I don't want to help you. I like the game, and would like to help if I could. But supporting SH5 is just too much work. I will be more of a player, and will support Luke's to-be-made mod (and obviously I will help other's where I can), but that takes not as much time as developing S3D further. I'll be in the backseat this time around... Now, let's put this to rest.

Regarding the controller-templates. They are not that difficult. Just open goblined, take a look at the controllers in there, and translate that to a template. For a ParticleGenerator you can compare it to S3D's included template, and update it to work with SH5. In most cases for existing controllers, just few new entries need to be added. The only thing to keep in mind is that it will no longer work with SH4/SH3 then (you'll get the byte[xx] data), because you can't define seperate templates for SH5, like I have for SH3/SH4. You can work around this by copying S3D's install folder, and change the controllers in this copy (just know you can't run two S3D's at the same time).
Old 03-11-10, 09:50 AM   #1160
urfisch
Sea Lord

yes, skwasjer...thanks for the answer.

appearently i managed to modify the templates a bit - you where right its not that complicated. but i just can add a new top layer entry (e.g. new "depthtestbias" under the "depthbias") for sh5, but what if the new entry needs a sub entry? e.g. there is a new entry called "timetostart" and it needs 2 sub-entries - delay and variation, etc.

?

and there are so called "entry" labels for the single bitmaps you define...which where former called 0, 1, 2, etc. can i just leave them the way they are in s3d?

thanks a lot!

Old 03-11-10, 01:54 PM   #1161
skwasjer
The Old Man

The 'entry' labels are the same as the indexes in S3D [0], [1], etc.

For delay and variation you would create a new class, adorned with a SHType-attribute and then just dump in the two floats. Look at the rest of the controller templates for examples. It's all in there...
Old 03-11-10, 09:27 PM   #1162
ensign bob
Swabbie

Downloads: 16

I REALLY appreciate all the hard work you put into S3D, without it the game would be collecting dust on the shelf somewhere. Thank you to all who worked on this great program.
ensign bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 03:59 AM   #1163
urfisch
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer View Post
The 'entry' labels are the same as the indexes in S3D [0], [1], etc.

For delay and variation you would create a new class, adorned with a SHType-attribute and then just dump in the two floats. Look at the rest of the controller templates for examples. It's all in there...
really? i looked yesterday...and cannot find these classes defined somewhere. any specific file i would have to look into?

thanks!

Old 03-12-10, 02:18 PM   #1164
slestat
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 30
Default Thanks skwasjer

skwasjer, i'm a progammer with lot of years behind me, i have a kid too and I can understand you in a very perfect way.

Years go away, time escapes with them,
but our passion is alive until the last day of our lifes.

Thank you very much indeed,
S3D was by far a very helpfull friend to me.

Good luck.
(sorry if i make english grammar mistakes, i usually speak another languaje)
slestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 07:06 PM   #1165
skwasjer
The Old Man

Understood perfectly fine, thanks
Old 03-14-10, 06:57 AM   #1166
Royale-Adio
Officer

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 5

Hi. I just want to know how to add INTERNAL torpedo reserves on a sub that hasn't got any.

Thanks
Old 03-15-10, 02:56 PM   #1167
urfisch
Sea Lord

i felt free to build a beta release for new particle templates in the sh5 mod section.

but what really annyoing is, to replace all existing particle controllers by hand. the parser needs an update...but this is definitely nothing i can do...

Old 03-19-10, 12:51 AM   #1168
Royale-Adio
Officer

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 5

anyone care to answer?
Old 06-09-10, 08:34 PM   #1169
Nbjackso
Navy Dude

Downloads: 448
Uploads: 18
Default Camera ???

In the cameras.dat file, which camera, (node) is used for the US sub control room when the game first loads? I want to change the starting viewpoint.

Just get me within 1000 yards,
and I'll d
o the rest
Nbjackso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 11:44 PM   #1170
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

So I would like to use this tool to fix a few things in SH 4/TMO such as making magnetic detonators even less reliable, and changing some other things. Any tutorials? Where is the latest version? using vista.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote