Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 03-13-14, 06:57 PM   #1
Captain Birdseye
Watch Officer

Location: Sat behind my desk at BdU tapping away on my Enigma machine.
Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0
Default Best WWII Sim

Hi all,
I have dabbled in the past in flight sims, IL2 1946 to be exact, but I found the modding difficult to install and lost interest.

My primary interest is the Battle of Britain from the German perspective. I remember seeing a couple of years ago some screenshots of a BoB sim, was this Cliffs of Dover? wasn't Cliffs of Dover the one that came out on consoles? It seemed very arcadey!

So could you guys recommend the best sim for me, I do like eye candy and any mods which make a game would be great too.

Thanks
Old 03-13-14, 08:57 PM   #2
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

I would very highly recommend BoB II: Wings of Victory. It's got by far the best WWII dynamic campaign , bar none (you can even play it as a pure strategy game and control the whole battle from the base, assembling strikes and giving orders without ever flying), and a great AI / Flight Model as well. Unlike IL-2, it can also handle fights with hundreds of aircraft in the air simultaneously. The only things it lacks compared to IL-2 are multiplayer and variety of settings/planes, but if you want BoB, it's your ticket. The campaign works equally great from both sides (I mostly played the Luftwaffe). Look for the BDG patches, which are basically offically-approved upgrades - they have lots of improved visuals, new planes, and a huge collection of historical aircraft skins. You won't need any other mods for it.

IL-2 CoD is a good one especially if you like MP or want the latest graphics. It is ages ahead of WoV in looks. But you'll be a bit disappointed if you're looking for large-scale dogfights or an immersive dynamic campaign.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 07:05 AM   #3
Flamebatter90
Medic

Downloads: 3

Another vote for BoB II: WoV from me. Patched with the BDG patches, it truly is an awesome sim, especially the BDG patched AI.
Flamebatter90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 09:29 AM   #4
Captain Birdseye
Watch Officer

Location: Sat behind my desk at BdU tapping away on my Enigma machine.
Downloads: 44

Thanks guys, I do own a copy of that but never really played it as I thought the vanilla version was just a tarted up Rowan's BoB. I'll try it again!

Question - Is it possible to just play as a German fighter pilot and be assigned missions rather than playing god and doing the strategy too?
Old 03-14-14, 12:16 PM   #5
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Birdseye View Post
Thanks guys, I do own a copy of that but never really played it as I thought the vanilla version was just a tarted up Rowan's BoB. I'll try it again!

Question - Is it possible to just play as a German fighter pilot and be assigned missions rather than playing god and doing the strategy too?
I think there's a note in the manual somewhere and also on the forums on how to do this - it's doable! As far as I know you can leave the planning to the AI and fly with just one squadron. I've never really tried that since I enjoyed the big campaign too much.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote