Default Knuckles?

Is it possible to create them in DW?
Manic Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 09:09 AM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

No, they are not modeled in Dangerous Waters. Side note: I'm imagining what it would be like to do that since Dangerous Waters models ship dynamics and momentum very well, it would take a while for full rudder left to become full rudder right in terms of which direction the ship is actually going.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 10:57 AM   #3
Manic Fred
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

But when knuckles are possible in RL than it means that there can be put full rudder real fast...ergo it's not modelled in a realistic way in DW
Old 01-26-18, 02:06 PM   #4
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Well I've heard full rudder at speed isn't usually what's done. Maybe Mr. ET2SN can chime in if he sees this.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 06:33 PM   #5
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

The fact that you can make knuckles in reality, doesn't mean they are effective against active homing torpedoes. In my opinion it's main reason why DW don't simulate knuckles.

Its like evading hits by rolling in games like witcher - effective in game but totaly unpractical in reality
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 05:57 AM   #6
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Maybe Mr. ET2SN can chime in if he sees this.
Huh? What..?

Look, I'll be honest. The first time I heard about knuckles as submarine canon was in the docs of the PC version of Red Storm Rising, which I played before I read the book. This happened about four years into my six year enlistment, when I finally had enough free time to buy a PC.

In the Navy I did hear about broken knuckles, pig's knuckles, and knuckle sandwiches but that was about it.

The other thing I would point out about DW is to look at its history, its basically a follow-on title of the Jane's sims which were a follow-on to the PC version of Harpoon which was a sanitized version of a tactics trainer for midshipmen.

At the end of the day, if you HAVE to use ninja moves in order to save your bacon- you aren't much of a ninja.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-18, 10:32 AM   #7
C-Wolf
Watch

Downloads: 2

Knuckles were explained to us in sonar school, followed by an explanation of white knuckles -as in fear.

Knuckles are a by-product of flank speed, hard-over rudder orders, and intense prayer fed by imminent fear of death when a torpedo is in one's baffles. At that point, screw/blade cavitation is larger than a knuckle.

While knuckles might be of some use, (probably more psychological than tactical) noisemakers and decoys were much more effective and were the goto tactical choice when our sphincters were clenched so tight you couldn't drive a tack in with a sledgehammer. And prayer, lots of fervent prayer!

Sagire, Classis, Destructum!
C-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-18, 01:30 PM   #8
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

This thread and replies contained here explain pretty well fundamental and philosophical difference of approach to simulations between Microprose and Jane's.

Playability vs. realism in the nutshell.

This philosophical difference of styles still persists in a way in the latest and recent incarnations and trends ....
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 01:26 AM   #9
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Wolf View Post
Knuckles were explained to us in sonar school, followed by an explanation of white knuckles -as in fear.

Knuckles are a by-product of flank speed, hard-over rudder orders, and intense prayer fed by imminent fear of death when a torpedo is in one's baffles. At that point, screw/blade cavitation is larger than a knuckle.

While knuckles might be of some use, (probably more psychological than tactical) noisemakers and decoys were much more effective and were the goto tactical choice when our sphincters were clenched so tight you couldn't drive a tack in with a sledgehammer. And prayer, lots of fervent prayer!
Yeah, but you guys took a lot of showers..

(former (reformed?) Mainer, btw )

I started out on the Barbel, the lead ship of three (also Bonefish and Blueback) in her class. The Barbel class could be thought of as prototypes (kinda) after the USS Albacore. See, the the Navy wasn't 100% sold on Rickover's nuclear Navy in the mid 1950's, they wanted a fall-back just in case. What was neat about the B-Girls was that we could go pretty much as fast as a 637 if we set up the main motors and batteries just right, we just couldn't do it for very long. This was the main reason the class ran two main motors on a single shaft, two large battery wells, and three diesels.
That "high speed dash" capability was used as a part of the main mission for the B-girl class. They were to be used as "radar pickets" for the original SSGN's. This makes more sense if you dig around for videos of the old Snark missle. It needed someone to guide it to its target after it was launched.

There was a price for that kind of speed, however. The hulls became rated as Hydrodynamically UNstable for high speed.
As I understand it, Barbel set the record in this dept. when she snap rolled 89 degrees during a high speed turn.

Think about that for a minute. What used to be tanks for water, fuel, and umm, waste suddenly turned into wall art.
The record stood at 89 degrees because it was later proven that if she had rolled 90 degrees or more there was no way she could have come back.

So, the whole point is this: If you want to induce a snap roll, go fast and then throw lots of rudder at it. Kinda the same definition as a "knuckle".

Last edited by ET2SN; 01-29-18 at 01:59 AM.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 05:15 AM   #10
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
That "high speed dash" capability was used as a part of the main mission for the B-girl class. They were to be used as "radar pickets" for the original SSGN's. This makes more sense if you dig around for videos of the old Snark missle. It needed someone to guide it to its target after it was launched.
I didn't know about it. I just thought only USS Triton had this role in USN.
Old 02-20-18, 03:13 AM   #11
Manic Fred
Swabbie

Downloads: 14

Sorry but i still don't understand if knuckles are now a real thing which DW doesn't simulate because of its engine limitations.
And in terms of rudder effect it looks to me that it doesn't react as quick as it should be.
Old 02-20-18, 08:03 AM   #12
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

In my opinion its not matter of engine limitation. Its matter that "knuckles" have mythic opinion as effective remedium against any torpedo attack. Probably Sonalysts (as a professionals) just resigned from this feature.

Rudder in DW can be turned manualy - quite fast.
Old 02-20-18, 08:12 AM   #13
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

Quote:
Sorry but i still don't understand if knuckles are now a real thing which DW doesn't simulate because of its engine limitations.
First of all not sure this was ever stated here if "high speed dashes" were creating knuckles as portrayed in Microprose's "Red Storm Rising"
Second knuckles in RSR generated acoustical disturbance aka. noise which attracted/spooked torps.
In DW this is accomplished by means of deploying active and passive countermeasures and I think this is how it is done in RL.

Last edited by Polak2; 02-20-18 at 08:22 AM.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote