SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-27-17, 04:04 PM   #1
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default Have to rebuild my computer.

Rebuilding my computer.

My Gigabyte motherboard took a dump. So, since I build my own computers I never have to buy a new one again!

Out will go the Gigabyte GA-970UD3, Athlon X3 455 and 16 GB of ddr3 memory.

Looks like in will go an MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon, Ryzen 3 1200 processor and 16 GB of DDR4 memory--$378.97 from Newegg. I'll be checking Amazon prices before the order if final. Later I'll be replacing my EVGA GTS 250 with a GTX 1050ti graphics card and I should be good to go.

I believe in getting yesterday's killer components at a sizable discount rather that paying three times more to be an unpaid beta tester for the trendiest products. I picked all the components for Linux compatibility and it looks great.

Wish me luck. Surprises lurk when you build new stuff...... Not all the surprises are necessarily good.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 04:20 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

... like things fitting inside the existing case... - happened to me once with a build, when the hard drive cage was too close to the cooler for the chipset, and the RAM slots sat behind the power supply. Talk about "tweaking" things... I was close to taking a hammer to it... - my previous motherboard had been 1 1/4" shorter, and was an "odd" size, compared to most others.

Good luck with the build RR. I love doing that. Do you have plans for your old video card? cpu? ram? I might be tempted to take them off of your hands for a small fee... me paying you, of course... - unless you think it might have been a power surge that took out your mother board??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-17, 02:14 AM   #3
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post

I believe in getting yesterday's killer components at a sizable discount rather that paying three times more to be an unpaid beta tester for the trendiest products. I picked all the components for Linux compatibility and it looks great.

Wish me luck. Surprises lurk when you build new stuff...... Not all the surprises are necessarily good.

Even though I looked at the new stuff, I'm waiting on it to get passed the "testing" phase...

I usually buy things that are 2nd on the list, i.e. a HD2600XT instead of a HD2900XT. or a HD4850, instead of a HD4870...

Most recently I went with a R7 370X instead of a R9, but this was primarily due to budget. Later I upgraded to a R9 380 (R9 285, Tonga) as the cards had been out for a few years at that point. And it allowed me to use the "old" driver until the "new" drivers were functional.

The fastest cards at the time were $400-600, I usually ended up spending about $150-200 for the cards (although, I go the 2600 on sale for $50... ).

Processors I usually bought the same way... I got a 5600x2 when I was planning on a 6000x2 (budget concerns, 2.8ghz and 3.0ghz respectively), the fastest at the time was 3.2ghz, I think...

Other than that I go "bottom of the barrel". Such as a Sound Blaster 16, been around forever, and reliable too. Everything worked on it... So it was worth the, usually, $20.
(I had other Sound Blaster cards, never a 16, but based on the SB16... the 16 was the best example I could think of at the moment.)

Although this is getting more difficult recently...

Motherboards are now either:
"Base" models with nothing really good for a game machine.
'Mid-range' variations with none of the frills, but none of the really good parts either.
Or they are the "high-end" boards with the "good stuff", but also all of the junk that I don't need or -more importantly- don't want, such as WIFI.

So you end up with 4 (or more) versions of the same board, one each from Gigabyte, ASUS, Asrock, MSI, etc.

Threadrippers were available before the "initial" batch (based on info I've read various places) of Ryzen 7 were gone. So I'm considering a Ryzen 7 now, but I'm also watching the Threadripper closely as well... a price drop usually (but not always) signifies a new run of cards/boards/chips.

So I'm watching, and waiting.

Good to know that you found what you were looking for RR.

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-17, 11:23 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

@propbeanie: I'll test out the video card when I get my new components. I'll not be getting the GTX 1050 ti card right away unless the GTS 250 is toast. I don't think it's been affected.

I have 16 GB of DDR3 RAM in the computer and about 12 GB not in the computer. I'll test that too to see what's good.

I don't have another AM3 motherboard to verify the CPU.

I looked up my purchase and my GA 970-UD3 motherboard, CPU and memory were purchased in 2012. They've had a good run. After five years I was still happy with performance.

@BarracudaUAK: Watch out with the Threadrippers. They are really designed for extreme multithread video editing and similar use. For games Threadrippers aren't as great. They're respectable, just not as good as you might believe looking at all those cores. Game mode turns off half of the cores just for starters.

If your primary reason for the computer is gaming, stepping down a notch or two from Threadripper could cut your cost in half without any cost at all in gaming performance. And that's always a good thing!
Old 09-28-17, 02:31 PM   #5
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post

@BarracudaUAK: Watch out with the Threadrippers. They are really designed for extreme multithread video editing and similar use. For games Threadrippers aren't as great. They're respectable, just not as good as you might believe looking at all those cores. Game mode turns off half of the cores just for starters.

If your primary reason for the computer is gaming, stepping down a notch or two from Threadripper could cut your cost in half without any cost at all in gaming performance. And that's always a good thing!

I know, I've been keeping a close eye on several benchmark/reviews (in particular Linux based) for a while...

However, your comment is the same comment I heard before dual-core CPUs were the norm.
I mentioned, years ago, about wanting to get a Dual CPU motherboard, and the statement at the time was "games won't use the 2nd CPU because they aren't coded for it".
However: setting program affinity (on an old Dual-CPU or a dual-core CPU) to use CPU-0 for the game, and CPU-1 for everything else, you will end up with a net GAIN in the end.
I used to do this before the AMD patches that allowed games such as BF1942 to run with out the need to manually set program affinity...

I went to a local computer store when I built an AM3 Athlon II 2.8ghz for a family member, and told them I wanted a 4GB stick of DDR3... 1666hmz.

Store: "You don't need 4GB for games...."

They built a new FX-8350 before that AM3 got any upgrades...

Now a dual-core with 4GB won't run most games. Even if the game is OK with 4GB, the processor isn't enough...

So while current games may not make use of it, future games quite possibly will.
Also, the fact that I usually have multiple programs running at the same time will more than make up for it, with the Linux scheduler (wrong name, the program that evens the load on the CPU's Cores).

If I'm modding SH3/4, I usually have S3d open in a prefix, graphics/paint program running, 3d modeling program running, JSGME running to install the mod, then I have SH3/4 running to test changes.

If I'm modding Fallout 3/NV, then add Steam and the Fallout Mod Manager to that, in additional Wine Prefixes...

All the while, never affecting the speed of the game, and I don't have to close and re-open a program... So if I decide I don't like a change that I've made in an editor, it's as simple as "Ctrl-Z" to undo the change. Save>Import to game files>Refresh mod>start game (or maybe just reload the save file).

I appreciate the attempt to help me save a several hundred $$$, but I've been here before! (last "over-built" PC lasted me about 9 years.)

On the other side, some friends and I used to have a little "competition" to see, using Newegg or similar sites, who could build the least expensive PC to play a certain game.

Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005), Crysis, etc. The game that was the "benchmark" changed as time went on. Now it might be something like Overwatch... Kinda like build a running 4x4 or hot-rod for as little as possible. But it must do "X".

We put this constant "arm-chair building" to use on a few occasions when some elderly friends needed a PC on a fixed income. We spec'd the PC based on their needs, then built it within budget.

Also would build "money is no object" systems... On Newegg built a Dual-socket system, SCSI drives, RAID, High-end AGP Video card (Radeon 9000 series or earlier), etc....

Total: $30,000.

Later we doubled the specs for $10,000... after that the prices just kept falling.
No matter what we did, we couldn't get the prices up that high, things were just too cheap!
Which was great for our budgets.

Hmm, I think I know what I'll be doing later, Build the Cheapest PC possible.
Then challenge that group of friends again...

Again, good info, and always good for those that don't know.
I'm still not dropping $1,000 on a CPU...

Barracuda
Old 09-28-17, 03:59 PM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post
Again, good info, and always good for those that don't know.
I'm still not dropping $1,000 on a CPU...

Barracuda
The crazy thing is that compared to Intel, the $1000 CPU is an absolute bargain. You can't have all those cores hanging out there without somebody finding a way to use them........Hehehehehehehehe! No. Can't make myself spend $1000 for a CPU.
Old 10-25-17, 02:15 PM   #7
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post
I went to a local computer store when I built an AM3 Athlon II 2.8ghz for a family member, and told them I wanted a 4GB stick of DDR3... 1666hmz.

Store: "You don't need 4GB for games...."

Barracuda

Amazing what these computer "experts" know. Maybe at the time you could get away with less RAM, but one thing you should never cut corners on when building a new rig is memory. Get as much as you can because it will eventually be needed and it will always help a game or application run better and more stable. And even more important....buy QUALITY RAM! Don't buy the half price marked down no name stuff because it never performs as well as the brand name stuff like Corsair, Kingston, G-Skill, etc. A lot of them have to dial back the timings just to keep the RAM running close to stable and not crashing your rig. Or they have to turn up the voltage powering the RAM to help it run stable with tighter RAM timings and the stuff ends up running HOT and cuts its life in half. Personally I usually buy Corsair most of the time. Great compatibility, stability and performance for the price.
I know trying to spend your money wisely and not buy the latest "bleeding edge" component is hard sometimes, but you have to balance that with buying quality and performance, not just low price. Remember....you always get what you pay for!! I had a blast building my own rigs and its a rush when you power that bad boy up for the first time!!

G'luck and have fun.
"CC"
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-17, 09:21 AM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCruise View Post
Remember....you always get what you pay for!! I had a blast building my own rigs and its a rush when you power that bad boy up for the first time!!

G'luck and have fun.
"CC"
Well, I won't go along with "you always get what you pay for." I'll say you seldom get a lot more than you pay for and often get a lot less than you paid for. Finding great value is not always easy. But that 's why we build.

And there is no shot of endorphins like popping in the back panel bezel into a computer case, screwing down the motherboard, plugging in new RAM and all your peripheral cards, connecting the disk drives, keyboard, speakers, mouse, other various gizmos and firing up your new desktop computer for the first time.

Buy laptops and buy one every other year. Build a desktop and never buy a new computer again! Plus you have complete control of all components. It's a totally addictive process.
Old 10-26-17, 01:20 PM   #9
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 337

Default Pc builds

Biggest waste of cash Expensive Motherboards - Poor Bang per Buck

Even mid Ageing ( 7 years ) mid range ASUS P7LXVI Handles GTX980ti no problem

Who needs four lanes of Pci GPU slots ? most of the Claims of "PRO" " Deluxe" Etc Etc Meaningless Little real impact on performance

Go Cheap spend on other components

RAM Memory Cheap $/per Performance good

SSD's getting cheaper all the time

Intel CPU's all day long, Processor Speeds only on paper comparison . Run cool , low power, superior architecture.

Gap between NVidea and AMD closing all the time finally AMD viable option difficult choice

Just bought ASRock Motherboard ( Needed the Z170 Chip to unlock i3 ) for budget build. Surprisingly good value other brands just out of price range some useful features ,even looks nice !

ASUS Mobo has slogging along 7 years faultless

Simon

Windows 10
Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz ( OC with Stock Fan )
Nvidia Zotac GTX980ti 6Gb VRAM
ASUS P7LXVLI
16Gb HyperX Memory @ 1600mhz ( Plenty enough for Gaming )
3 x HHD 3.5 TB + 250GB Kingston HyperX SSD
Cyborg322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-17, 06:59 PM   #10
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

My strategy has always been to go with last year's finest. I'm going to violate that this time and go for AMD Ryzen processor. It's killing the present generation of Intel chips and will even beat the next unless Intel makes huge changes. They're overpriced anyway.

I've been AMD since 2004 and never regretted it. Saved about 50% and got 90% of the performance. I'm always willing to give up a little quality for a honking good price.

But with Ryzen, that's out the window. Now you can have better for less than Intel. Probably won't last long but who cares. I love to support the underdog.

I had problems with my ASUS motherboard, but it wasn't the fault of ASUS. There was a catalytic capacitor scam going on at the time where the company who sold most of the worlds' supply was the victim of industrial espionage. The guy who stole the blueprints took them to another manufacturer, who proceeded to steal the market.

But what the thief and other company didn't know was that the formula for the electrolyte that was stolen lacked the chemical that preserved the formula. All over the world television sets, phones, radio control equipment, computers, microwaves........failed a year after manufacture. My ASUS motherboard and an EVGA graphics card both died from popped electrolytic capacitors. Today I'd fire up my soldering iron and replace the caps. Then I wasn't up to the task.

I think there are a lot of great motherboard manufacturers now. I chose the MSI because it was more Linux compatible, but ASUS, MSI, Asrock, and others are all good right now. And you're right, RAM is the biggest bang for the buck out there.

Personally SSDs don't blow my skirt up because I don't care how fast my computer boots once a week. If they get a lot more reliable and cost a quarter of what they do now I'll probably get interested.
Old 10-26-17, 07:54 PM   #11
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

RR

Not sure where you get your CPU info from but don't want to get into whats best arguement its personal preference

Benchmarks
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...00X/3647vs3916

Electrolytic Capacitor thing interesting are we talking about the Jap Caps or the lesser quality stuff from China and the rest
There was a big deal about leakage one time too
At least blown Capacitors are easy to spot if you can be bothered to swap them

SSD has a few more benefits than just boot up, helps gaming but its only minimal, had mine a few years only invested a relatively small amount on a 250Gb for that reason, No problems so far . Spindle HDD's do the Job adequately for the rest of storage, SSD's Still expensive I agree !!

Problems with EVGA popped up just after I bought a EVGA PSU GS650w had me a little concerned but its been very good for about 3 years now performance really solid. There was also the Bursting into flames saga with GPU's very embarrassing for them for a really dumb mistake

Keep buying AMD's good man it helps keeping Intel in check with their Prices for me

Simon
Old 10-26-17, 09:05 PM   #12
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344

Gotta admit I like AMD CPU's as well. One of my fav's from a build long ago was the AthlonXP 2500. Barton core, extremely overclockable.

With GPU's I was a RADEON guy, though now I'll probably buy either. I still have a 9700PRO brand new in the box from ages ago. Also have a old A-BIT mobo brand new in the box based on the nVidia2 chipset. My fav was the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe NVidia 2 chipset. At the time was the best. Another overclockers dream board.

"CC"
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-17, 06:42 AM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg322 View Post
RR

Problems with EVGA popped up just after I bought a EVGA PSU GS650w had me a little concerned but its been very good for about 3 years now performance really solid. There was also the Bursting into flames saga with GPU's very embarrassing for them for a really dumb mistake

Keep buying AMD's good man it helps keeping Intel in check with their Prices for me

Simon
I've had nothing but EVGA graphics cards since 2007. They're BLAZING FAST!!!
Never heard about the ones that really blazed though....

And CPU competition is good. I've been AMD since 2004 and it's been a price/benefits thing. I'll gladly give up 20% in speed for half price. But now it looks like that's no longer necessary, for the time being. Good to see AMD pushing the speed envelope again even though they didn't need to do that. Power users with top hardware are a small part of the market. AMD's Ryzen move makes top level processors cheaper and juices the development cycle all around!
Old 10-27-17, 04:57 PM   #14
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

RR

Yeah I Agree nothing wrong with EVGA that's why I went for their PSU.

There was tho a Big deal about the 1070 and 1080 overheating VRM's

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 VRM Catches Fire Caught On Camera

An easy fix by adding thermal Pads ( In their wisdom they had decided not to fit any saving of 0.10 Euro )

Cost them $$$$$ to put right and Damaged there Reputation for a While till Subject "Cooled" over

Went for A Zotac GTX980ti prior to this , Its Cheaper than most of the other options Replaced a Zotac GTX660 I'd had for years. Made in Germany Super reliable

It's outstanding, its also Huuuuggge ( 3 Fans ) had to remove part of my case to get it in ( where the 2.5 trays fit )

1 area that AMD are striving to give you more for your hard earned $ is More VRAM even on low/mid end cards. A Luxury Nvidea makes you pay an Arm and a Leg for. AMD are very Strong in this respect.

Simon

All Competition Is A Good Thing

Last edited by Cyborg322; 10-27-17 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-30-17, 01:07 AM   #15
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCruise View Post
Gotta admit I like AMD CPU's as well. One of my fav's from a build long ago was the AthlonXP 2500. Barton core, extremely overclockable.

With GPU's I was a RADEON guy, though now I'll probably buy either. I still have a 9700PRO brand new in the box from ages ago. Also have a old A-BIT mobo brand new in the box based on the nVidia2 chipset. My fav was the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe NVidia 2 chipset. At the time was the best. Another overclockers dream board.

"CC"

It's still in the box I packed it in, but I have a 2500XP Barton core on a Mach-speed mother board, with 1GB DDR RAM (2x512).

I got it second hand from a friend after he got a Socket 764 64bit, after my 1.4ghz Athlon (Thunderbird) got knocked off the desk and cracked the socket "tab" that the heat sink clamp clipped onto.

Still need to grab a small HDD and get it running with WIN98 for some of my really old stuff (No online activation on 98).

I used to buy ATI cards, always cards that had "built by ATI" on the box, and I never had a bad card.
Starting with a K6-2 500mhz (in 99?) with a Rage IIC, then a Rage 128, then a Radeon 8500. Got a 9700XT from that same friend and it was a Saphire built card.
Worked great until my cat "marked" the system.

Replaced it with a Visiontek 2400 Pro. Worked good.
With my dual core about 10 years ago I stayed with Visiontek until I couldn't find them any more. I had 2 X1650, 1 HD 2600XT, 1 HD 4850 (70FPS in a heavy firefight on Crysis with this one), then when I couldn't find Visiontek I got a XFX 6750, followed by a 2nd a few months later.
Visiontek cards were 256bit memory interface, XFX was 128. Took both 6750s to best that 4850.

I got factory overclocked XFX R7 370X, then Gigabyte R9 380....

So far all manufacturers have been really good.

As far as Nvidia, Last one I tried was a FX5200 (?, might have been a step up from that model, got it after XP scrambled the colors on my Radeon 8500), it played the intro movie to the 2005 NFS Most Wanted better than my old 128MB Radeon 8500, but did NOTHING else better. That Saphire 9600XT replaced it.
A friend got a 980Ti from his wife as an anniversary present, he sold it about a year later, and got a 1080Ti. His main complaint so far has been drivers. He upgrades, and nothing runs good, so he has to downgrade, and wait for the next update to try again...
He noted he never had that when running his AMD cards.

Other than that Mach-speed (to replace a SOYO with a failed AGP slot), I've run nothing but ASUS and Gigabyte.
K6-2 500 had a Gigabyte, 1.4 Athlon was on a Gigabyte (with a hardware Sound Blaster 128 sound card!), Athlon 5600 x2 was a Asus M2R32-MVP, still funtional, sitting on the desk next to me, and lastly my FX8350 is a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3.

Built a few systems for friends with Asrock... Last time I tried MSI, they were about like Shuttle, and PC chips motherboards.

When the Phenom was released there were a few Computer stores/retailers that were giving away the MSI motherboard FREE with the Phenom.

When I checked back with the guy that actually knew what he was doing, most of them had to be replaced.

But if they have improved (heard several reports of this lately), then that gives another option when choosing a motherboard, which is never a bad thing!

One of the main reasons now that I stick with AMD/ATI cards is that they are supported "out-of-the-box" on Linux, as the "official" AMD driver is in the kernel.
So no more "iffy" detection unless running in VESA mode, and I don't have to install or wait on updated drivers when the new Kernels are released.

I'm waiting on the sales that will inevitably start soon, I'm trying to decide on a RX 580, or a Vega 64...
Decisions, decisions!

Barracuda