SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-19-18, 01:11 PM   #1
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Default Uber halts self-driving car tests after death.

Quote:
Uber said it is suspending self-driving car tests in all North American cities after a fatal accident.

A woman was hit by a car and killed as she crossed the street in Tempe, Arizona.

While self-driving cars have been involved in several accidents, it is thought to be the first time a self-driving car has been involved in a fatal collision.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43459156

Surely something like this was foreseeable

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 01:32 PM   #2
mako88sb
XO

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Not a big fan of the concept but I doubt it's going away. Eventually, once driverless cars are more prevalent, stats will be generated that show traffic accident or road collision deaths declining. Having said that, I don't even want to think about how these things will perform in severe winter driving conditions like what we are still going through here in Calgary. The road clearing has been terrible because our city has always gambled every year and lost this time on the chinook winds we get taking care of it for them. I can't imagine how driverless cars or trucks can be expected to safely navigate such conditions. Same with those winter storms that often hit the American NE.

Last edited by mako88sb; 03-19-18 at 02:03 PM.
mako88sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 02:26 PM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

Yeah, especially since people these days don't look before crossing the street
Old 03-19-18, 06:45 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Not just since this accident I have problems to imagine that autonomous driving will become wide-spread reality outside very well guarded, clearly defined perimeters. There is a lot of hype in this, like in e-mobility for saving climate and good conscience.

Relevant for clearly defined, controlled perimeters, yes. But in the open, chaotic wild? I believe it when I see it. And I will not see it during my lifetime.
Old 03-19-18, 07:07 PM   #5
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Somehow I'm always reminded of this scene.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 07:14 PM   #6
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

The first video of the accident has been released.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 07:23 AM   #7
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Relevant for clearly defined, controlled perimeters, yes. But in the open, chaotic wild? I believe it when I see it. And I will not see it during my lifetime.
I agree... to me, driving a car is often an intuitive activity... machines do not (yet) possess intuition
Old 03-20-18, 07:38 AM   #8
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

I'm left wondering how much of this accident was the fault of the " driver-less car. " The link that you provided mentions the fact that the woman was not crossing in a designated crosswalk. I'm wondering how likely it was that she crossed the street against the light. Further, was she oblivious to the street traffic because she was busy talking or playing with her cell phone. We have all seen people on their cell phones not paying any attention to their surroundings and walking right into traffic. The article doesn't mention if that was a factor in the accident.

A human driver makes allowances for the most part for the negligence of other people. This driver-less vehicle may not.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 08:08 AM   #9
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

What about Uber's self driving truck program ... how long will it last if they hit someone?

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...now-in-service

Quote:
Uber has officially put its self-driving semi-trailer trucks into operation under the new service Uber Freight. In fact, Uber has had the self-driving trucks in service for a few months in the state of Arizona,
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 08:46 AM   #10
mako88sb
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I'm left wondering how much of this accident was the fault of the " driver-less car. " The link that you provided mentions the fact that the woman was not crossing in a designated crosswalk. I'm wondering how likely it was that she crossed the street against the light. Further, was she oblivious to the street traffic because she was busy talking or playing with her cell phone. We have all seen people on their cell phones not paying any attention to their surroundings and walking right into traffic. The article doesn't mention if that was a factor in the accident.

A human driver makes allowances for the most part for the negligence of other people. This driver-less vehicle may not.
Yes, it will be interesting to see if it was something that would have been unavoidable. If not, would the monitor be charged? Seems like he/she should be but maybe that second or two that it takes to override the computer is the difference.
mako88sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 01:18 PM   #11
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts View Post
The first video of the accident has been released.

I'm sure UBER will somehow try to pin the blame on the pedestrian...
Old 03-20-18, 01:48 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon8 $$$$!

Quote:
I'm left wondering how much of this accident was the fault of the " driver-less car. "

Quote:
What about Uber's self driving truck program ... how long will it last if they hit someone?
I'm of the opinion, as a professional patrol driver and ex- interstate trucker, that any taxpayer has an inalienable right not to get killed by a profit motivated....anything! including driverless cars/big rigs that are experimenting innately with innocent lives on my roadway! I pay good gas and registration taxes and don't fancy being in some geek engineer'$ 'laboratory'
Quote:
Arizona officials $aw opportunity when Uber and other companies began testing driverless cars a few years ago. Promising to keep over$ight light, they invited the companies to te$t their robotic vehicles on the $tate’s roads. Then on Sunday night, an autonomous car operated by Uber — and with an emergency backup driver behind the wheel — struck and killed a woman on a street in Tempe, Ariz. It was believed to be the first pedestrian death associated with self-driving technology.... California requires companies to report the number of instances when human drivers are forced to take over for the autonomous vehicle, called “disengagements.”
Waymo, the self-driving car unit of Google’s parent company Alphabet, has been using cars without a human in the driver’s seat to pick up and drop off passengers in Arizona.
Most testing of driverless cars occurs with a safety driver in the front seat who is available to take over if something goes wrong. It can be
challenging, however, to take control of a fast-moving vehicle. Between December 2016 and November 2017, Waymo’s self-driving cars drove about 350,000 miles and human drivers retook the wheel 63 times — an average of about 5,600 miles between every disengagement. Uber has not been testing its self-driving cars long enough in California to be required to release its disengagement numbers.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/uber-driverless-fatality.html

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-20-18 at 01:56 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 03:25 PM   #13
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
I'm of the opinion, as a professional patrol driver and ex- interstate trucker, that any taxpayer has an inalienable right not to get killed by a profit motivated....anything! including driverless cars/big rigs that are experimenting innately with innocent lives on my roadway! I pay good gas and registration taxes and don't fancy being in some geek engineer'$ 'laboratory' https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/uber-driverless-fatality.html

I'm also not in favor of a driver-less car, big truck or anything automated like that. With that being said, the investigators sifting through the evidence have said on record that this accident may not be the fault of UBER or the automated car. The police have said it would have been impossible to stop in time even if the car had been driven by a human.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/585443...down-cops-say/

This would suggest that the behavior of the woman who was unfortunately killed contributed in some way to her untimely demise. The investigation is ongoing so more information should be forthcoming in the days and weeks ahead. It's unfortunate that it took a woman's death to call in to question the desirability or viability of having a self driving vehicle. The technology is there but what about the software packages ? The car that struck the woman was said to be traveling at 38mph in a designated 35mph zone. While police routinely give drivers a 5 mph buffer, the computer controlled car should have been traveling slower as one would expect from a better controlled, computerized car.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 03:44 PM   #14
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:

True that

Old 03-22-18, 06:38 AM   #15
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Video footage of the fatal event.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43497364