SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-08-16, 10:09 AM   #1
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Downloads: 164
Uploads: 0
Default Sonar Help for Seawolf Mission 'Arctic Hide & Seek'

Hi

So I'm trying to get into this game more seriously (no sonar autocrew), but on the Seawolf mission mentioned above, I can't find either of then enemy subs EVER, unless I have Show Truth on and basically get right on top of them.

Now I know they're stealthy, and that's the point, but even with autocrew turned on, I get no signals visible on the waterfall, and despite trying to use the Narrowband in favour of the Broadband (as per youtube tutorials) I can't see any freq lines, no matter how slowly I drag the cursor

If I leave it to autocrew, I never get any contacts.

Please, can someone shed some light on where I'm going wrong?

It's an un-modded install (from steam) except for the DX8 .dll fix

Thanks
Elphaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 10:37 AM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
Hi

So I'm trying to get into this game more seriously (no sonar autocrew), but on the Seawolf mission mentioned above, I can't find either of then enemy subs EVER, unless I have Show Truth on and basically get right on top of them.

Now I know they're stealthy, and that's the point, but even with autocrew turned on, I get no signals visible on the waterfall, and despite trying to use the Narrowband in favour of the Broadband (as per youtube tutorials) I can't see any freq lines, no matter how slowly I drag the cursor

If I leave it to autocrew, I never get any contacts.

Please, can someone shed some light on where I'm going wrong?

It's an un-modded install (from steam) except for the DX8 .dll fix

Thanks
1) What platforms are you up against?

2) What sensors are you using?

3) How close are you having to get before you see them on your sonar (verified by Show Truth)?

4) How deep are you?

5) How much of the towed array is deployed, if you're using it?

6) WHICH towed are you using? This is important. The starboard towed array (TB-26?) is more sensitive than the port towed array (TB-16). (Starboard is usually the default one so you're probably fine here but it needs to be asked)

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 02:20 PM   #3
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Downloads: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
1) What platforms are you up against?

2) What sensors are you using?

3) How close are you having to get before you see them on your sonar (verified by Show Truth)?

4) How deep are you?

5) How much of the towed array is deployed, if you're using it?

6) WHICH towed are you using? This is important. The starboard towed array (TB-26?) is more sensitive than the port towed array (TB-16). (Starboard is usually the default one so you're probably fine here but it needs to be asked)
Hi.

Wow, I was watching your videos on youtube last night - I feel like I'm talking to someone famous! lol.

Thanks for responding so quickly. Here are the answers to your questions.

1. I believe in the mission it's an Akula 1 and a Typhoon
2. Narrow and Broadband from the Starboard towed array and spherical arrays.
3. If I cheat and use Show Truth then I might get a thin line on the broadband within 2 nm.
4.The targets are around 150ft, but because of the ice, I'm around 300. the SSP shows no layers. (manually launched at 100ft)
5. All of it.
6. Stbd only.

I can sit and replay this mission over and over and never find either sub unless I cheat. And I really don't get any enjoyment from this sim if I have to cheat.

Thanks again for taking the time to try and help.
Elphaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 03:05 PM   #4
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
Hi.

Wow, I was watching your videos on youtube last night - I feel like I'm talking to someone famous! lol.

Thanks for responding so quickly. Here are the answers to your questions.

1. I believe in the mission it's an Akula 1 and a Typhoon
2. Narrow and Broadband from the Starboard towed array and spherical arrays.
3. If I cheat and use Show Truth then I might get a thin line on the broadband within 2 nm.
4.The targets are around 150ft, but because of the ice, I'm around 300. the SSP shows no layers. (manually launched at 100ft)
5. All of it.
6. Stbd only.

I can sit and replay this mission over and over and never find either sub unless I cheat. And I really don't get any enjoyment from this sim if I have to cheat.

Thanks again for taking the time to try and help.
Haha, aww shucks

I remember this mission now. Isn't the Typhoon trying to hide out at one of two polynyas? If they're not trying to be found then, yeah, it's going to be hard to find them. I tried this mission somewhat recently and I believe the Typhoon hit an iceburg and I got the mission complete

This mission is a doozy. I would try other missions to get your manual sonar up to snuff, honestly. 4000 yards (2 nm) is so close in. You might have to go active in this situations. If nothing else to freak them out and get them to launch so you at least have a bearing to snapshot on.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-22, 08:37 AM   #5
emanuelepulcidoria
Swabbie

Downloads: 13

I have just completed this mission after 2 attempts where I needed to check the "show truth".
First thing first is best to surface, get the radio message that tells you which polynya the boomer is heading to. Then dive and reach the area sailing at 9-10 knots. If you spend too much time going to the wrong polynya or going too slow the boomer just moves away from the indicated area and becomes even harder to find.
Once you are at the designated area start the search using mainly your towed array (in this simulator the sphere array is basically almost useless). With some patience the contact will appear on your "intermediate time screen" very very faint but they will be definitely there.
emanuelepulcidoria is offline   Reply With Quote