Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 08-12-07, 04:54 PM   #1
HMCS
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 186
Uploads: 0
Default WW I flight sims?

I've been away from PC games for a bit. Is there anything good happening in this genre?

I used to like RB3d, it had a few flaws but overall a pretty good sim.

Mods Loaded:TMO 2.2, RSRDC, MaxOptics, Strategic Map Symbols, Stop The Shouting
OR:
RFB, RSRDC, Maxoptics, SCAF, Strategic Map Symbols and the sanity-saving "stop the shouting".
HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 05:20 PM   #2
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Right now you have two choices: First Eagles - The Great Air War, and Over Flanders Fields (a multi-part free add-on for Combat Flight Simulator 3).

First Eagles is good fun, and it will run well on pretty much any computer, but it is somewhat generic in that it is developed with the Third Wire flight sim engine which is used for Wings Over Europe and Wings Over Vietnam, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as it is a reasonably good flight sim engine, just don't expect to be wowed by the ground detail, as it is only 'adequate' rather than 'amazing'. If you want the world's most accurate flight model, this is not it, although you do have to get pretty extreme for the flaws to start showing up, and it is generally good fun. TrackIR is a bit of a pain in the ass to set up for First Eagles, but there is very good support for it on the Third Wire forums, and there are tons of repaints and mods available for it too. I would say it is worth having.

Over Flanders Fields is kind of like the GWX for Combat Flight Simulator 3, it's more like a completely new sim than just an add-on. Remarkable when you consider that it is free. Modeling, terrain and campaigns are all good, and it's kind of hard to believe it is based on CFS3, as it takes that sim into a new league. Shove all the detail sliders up on it and you will need a fairly decent computer, but if you have TrackIR and a reasonable fast computer, it really does take some beating. and if you have CFS3 (available for about 7 quid), then you can't argue with the price of Over flanders Fields, because it is free.

There are a couple of WW1 flight sims in the development pipeline, but don't hold your breath waiting for them, as ventures like that fail more often than they succeed, so they may never materialise.

Here is a link to a couple of vids I made on Youtube, one was made with First Eagles, the other with OFF in CFS3.

Made with First Eagles:

Made with OFF in CFS3:

Here are a couple of screengrabs of a plane in First Eagles, this is one of my repaints for it:

Chock
Old 08-12-07, 06:06 PM   #3
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18

Which one would you say has the best campaign?
Old 08-12-07, 11:27 PM   #4
Chock
Sea Lord

O.F.F. defintitely has the better campaign. First Eagles is more fun for a quick, uncomplicated blast.

Beware of First Eagles if you want lots of multiplayer action too, M/P options in Third Wire titles are severely limited, O.F.F. is definitely better on that score.

Chock
Old 08-14-07, 08:01 PM   #5
Sir Big Jugs
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 43

KOTS will be amazing once it's released, be sure.

Sir Big Jugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-07, 12:09 PM   #6
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Word of warning about Over Flanders Fields: be ready for a lot of reworking files, uninstalls, reinstalls, and downloads. For some reason, it's a huge pain in the ass, as it doesn't want to run without any flaws on the second day after installing (as was my case all 2 dozen times...).

Basically, it's inevitable for it to have a problem, even if you didn't modify anything on it. I'd buy First Eagles if I were you and wait for Knights of the Sky to be released.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 02:12 AM   #7
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Thx Chock for the great vids. Makes me want CFS3 and OFF even more now. That flying by the seat of your pants is for me.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 05:11 AM   #8
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter
Word of warning about Over Flanders Fields: be ready for a lot of reworking files, uninstalls, reinstalls, and downloads. For some reason, it's a huge pain in the ass, as it doesn't want to run without any flaws on the second day after installing (as was my case all 2 dozen times...).

Basically, it's inevitable for it to have a problem, even if you didn't modify anything on it.
Meh. I d/l and was up and running within five minutes. Just followed the instructions and all was sweet.

So there are two extremes to it.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 09:31 PM   #9
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
Quote:

Basically, it's inevitable for it to have a problem, even if you didn't modify anything on it.
Meh. I d/l and was up and running within five minutes. Just followed the instructions and all was sweet.

So there are two extremes to it.
Give it time, and everything won't be peachy.
Old 08-20-07, 09:34 PM   #10
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Give it time, and everything won't be peachy.
No, can't say I share your pessimism. Had it going since June...perfect. Likewise MAW and Korea.

Perhaps your problem is user related?
Old 08-20-07, 10:23 PM   #11
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Pessimism isn't exactly what describes me. More of: "I expect it to be created properly." describes me. Every user on their forum has had a problem with it somewhere along the line.

I had tons of problems with it. I did everything correctly (install order, patch upgrades, fly the P-47's to create several files, and fixes for the mod) and I had problems with it. My computer's just fine. Went on their forums and constantly asked, oh near 75 questions in about 5 threads. Worked fine for a few days and then (I hadn't done A THING to my system [no upgrades, no downloads, no mods for CFS3, NO NOTHING {I sh** you not}]) and then I get a problem in reading files and skins not found and in-game crashes and glitches. More or less, perhaps it's just Microsoft's crappy ability at creating a flawless game (*cough* CFS2 *cough*). Who knows. CFS3 on it's own was slopped together and hardly anything was fixed in the 3.1 patch. Either way, I've given up and moved to IL-2 and her expansions/mods.

I'm fine. Just wanted to clear that up. More over, it's probably something they've done or something Microsoft did (I'll blame Microsoft on this run). My system is perfect as of right now.

May I advise you, for future reference, that you mind your smart little tongue here and the world over. This is the Internet.
Old 08-20-07, 10:44 PM   #12
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
May I advise you, for future reference, that you mind your smart little tongue here and the world over. This is the Internet.
Ah the internet police now are we? I love people that blame everyone and everything else other than themselves when things go wrong. I mean, you say your system is "perfect", I know mine is, so all things being equal the only difference is the user. Fact, not accusation, fact. No need to get so defensive when someone suggests it.

BTW, I'm on their forum and I haven't had any problems, so your claim that "every user has had a problem" is false. Perhaps every user that has posted a "I have a problem" thread has a problem, but unless you've polled players that haven't posted anything (I can't recall you contacting me), I think your claim is a tad bit exaggerated, perhaps moreso borne out of *your* frustration. I agree, the game's certainly far from perfect (I am in no way a fanboy or anything), but it's certainly playable.

But thanks for the advice "sir", duly filed. Although one would be best to look at one's own actions first... http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...72&postcount=3 and http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...6&postcount=72. :hmm:

Anyway, back to the original q, I'm quite looking forward to KOTS (recent review here). Sounds like it could be a winner, but note the dev's comments re dynamic campaign. In the meantime, don't let Stealth Hunter put you off - OFF is definately worth a try; a vast improvement over stock CFS3.

Last edited by JScones; 08-21-07 at 04:06 AM. Reason: To answer original q and get back on topic
Old 08-22-07, 05:26 PM   #13
silentrunner
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock
Right now you have two choices: First Eagles - The Great Air War, and Over Flanders Fields (a multi-part free add-on for Combat Flight Simulator 3).

First Eagles is good fun, and it will run well on pretty much any computer, but it is somewhat generic in that it is developed with the Third Wire flight sim engine which is used for Wings Over Europe and Wings Over Vietnam, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as it is a reasonably good flight sim engine, just don't expect to be wowed by the ground detail, as it is only 'adequate' rather than 'amazing'. If you want the world's most accurate flight model, this is not it, although you do have to get pretty extreme for the flaws to start showing up, and it is generally good fun. TrackIR is a bit of a pain in the ass to set up for First Eagles, but there is very good support for it on the Third Wire forums, and there are tons of repaints and mods available for it too. I would say it is worth having.

Over Flanders Fields is kind of like the GWX for Combat Flight Simulator 3, it's more like a completely new sim than just an add-on. Remarkable when you consider that it is free. Modeling, terrain and campaigns are all good, and it's kind of hard to believe it is based on CFS3, as it takes that sim into a new league. Shove all the detail sliders up on it and you will need a fairly decent computer, but if you have TrackIR and a reasonable fast computer, it really does take some beating. and if you have CFS3 (available for about 7 quid), then you can't argue with the price of Over flanders Fields, because it is free.

There are a couple of WW1 flight sims in the development pipeline, but don't hold your breath waiting for them, as ventures like that fail more often than they succeed, so they may never materialise.

Here is a link to a couple of vids I made on Youtube, one was made with First Eagles, the other with OFF in CFS3.

Made with First Eagles:

Made with OFF in CFS3:

Here are a couple of screengrabs of a plane in First Eagles, this is one of my repaints for it:

Chock
The graphics on the pics look kinda bad I must say.

silentrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 01:31 PM   #14
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Got to agree with JScones. I've never once had a problem with it either, and I've been playing it for a long time now.

Couple of (Slightly edited,) OFF screenies for you HMCS:

It's my favorite flight sim by quite a big margin and has been for a while. Never played the First Eagles one but from what I can gather it's pretty moddable.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 11:17 PM   #15
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

All on its own, FE is a mod that is meant to have additions made. By that, I mean you just need to add aircraft, maps, skins, etc.