SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-15, 08:18 AM   #61
tmccarthy
Admiral

Downloads: 270
Uploads: 16

2nd Video: simulator operations

Old 07-08-15, 11:42 AM   #62
Kessner
Helmsman

Downloads: 174
Uploads: 0

I would be wondering about the status that lead to all this, but considering it is Silent Hunter build, got me to thinking how would I do it.. Got me Looking at the pics, wondering what would I improve..
Old 07-08-15, 08:36 PM   #63
tmccarthy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessner View Post
I would be wondering about the status that lead to all this, but considering it is Silent Hunter build, got me to thinking how would I do it.. Got me Looking at the pics, wondering what would I improve..
The first idea a few years ago while playing SH3 was to make a Coroplast cubicle connected with Velcro to place around my computer desk. It was to be non permanent and could be set up or taken down as necessary.

From there it evolved into a full simulator pretty much one idea at a time and was not completely planned out from the beginning.

I recommend:

-not using plastic sheets-Coroplast. Sheets of light wood would be better

-make a design from the bottom up. Use some non permanent 1 inch tape and "blue print" the side and front of your design against a wall to get the simulator sizes and distances right to what you want.(I thought of this idea too late!)

-plan on plenty of ventilation. At least two fans going in and one out at the top.

-go to Electrical Surplus Supply & Arm-Navy Surplus Supply stores when designing for ideas.

-consider the standing control room/ conning tower. I think that would be better and more realistic.

What ideas do you have?
Old 07-09-15, 08:48 AM   #64
Kessner
Helmsman

I would paint it grey, or metal grey, This is available as interior paint (pending which sub your trying to reflect). then use PVC piping also painted grey. Its Light weight, can be attached to the walls, and can be placed in a manner to look functional. And there are different sizes and valves available for it, so it can show water piping to wire routing. There is decorative house trim, I think its like a plastic, can be cut to fit to show internal structure build. Then Something like a fuse box, but it it just looks like one, it plugs into the main house power, and anything inside will work off this. Example; If you work off one outlet with a surge switch board and a extension cord, then the fuse box will only have one socket and one plug to the wall, no different than a extension cord just more decorative... Then the main lay out build such as monitors and controls, very much like what you got going on after I had set up the "sub build" look. That is what I am thinking on..
Old 07-09-15, 08:59 AM   #65
tomoose
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 23
Default Larger screens

tm;
you need a much larger screen for your bridge. I think that would provide better immersion. Perhaps even project onto the wall? It would be extremely cool if you could take the monitor out of the picture (pun intended) completely. Seeing as how you have a blank wall in front of you on the bridge it begs for a "projection" instead of a monitor.
Having said that, I'm not sure how you could pull it off.

Very geeky, but still very cool. Keep it up.
tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-15, 12:07 AM   #66
tmccarthy
Admiral

Kessner,

I can see the PVC piping, fuse box/ electric features and structural elements making the interiot better. If the entrance hatch is on the back of the simulator then both sides of the interior could be planned to have a more organized and realistic sub interior appearence.

Good luck with your design and I hope to see pictures when you finish!
Old 07-10-15, 12:21 AM   #67
tmccarthy
Admiral

tomoose,

I agree on need for bigger monitor for bridge. I hope someday to upgrade to a 50 inch tv or bigger to cover the full 48 inch width of the front. I think the "scale" of the view of the bow will improve also. I will have to look into if a projection tv can create an image with this kind of space or even focus on a surface only 6 feet away?

Thank you for your ideas and opinions, all appreciated.
Old 07-10-15, 07:52 AM   #68
Kessner
Helmsman

I forgot bilges, the air intake and exhaust can use this, pending how it sits on the floor raised or not..
Old 07-11-15, 04:21 AM   #69
tmccarthy
Admiral

Quote:
I forgot bilges, the air intake and exhaust can use this, pending how it sits on the floor raised or not..
Good stuff

What submarine sim are you thinking of for your simulator design? And what model type submarine and do you have any particular submarine in mind?

Maybe consider a round interior for the hull construction.

Old 07-11-15, 09:50 PM   #70
Kessner
Helmsman

The sub I ever been in, type 9. Way back when I was a kid, talking black and white instant Polaroid days. I was a little one, we went to the science and industry museum in Chicago, Il. And I see this big long giant grey thing. My aunt tells me that is a sub, its use to attack boats. I was so marveled by it. Because I was understanding this huge heavy thing is put in water and can run under it. When I was inside I look at all the stuff in it. I didn't understand it, but it all look cool to touch, feel walk around, I wanted to take it for a ride in Lake Michigan it was so cool to me. Then and there, type 9 was always a me boat.

So I would try to do something in this manner if I had a chance. Now, I had been unable to do so. But it is always in the back of my mind. Even when I visit a friend and saw his simple trailer. I was thinking if I could lay out the game model interior. I try a replicate it in the trailer home, and live in it. Still always in the back of my mind. So I see this post, and it brings back all sorts of ideals I had and wanted to do... Because here some one did it. And it makes me feel kind of good, you know..
Old 07-11-15, 10:03 PM   #71
Kessner
Helmsman

Sorry didn't mean to side track.. rounded hull look, yeah, that is what I was referring to. Some stores like manards maybe, sell decor trim, and I saw some that was curved from the top and begins to straighten out mid way. Maybe able to cut it in half and have two, one side up and one side down. a buy of two should make a total of 4 to use. I would first build a hull, then lay out the floor because of the bilge and setting up air ducts for intake and exhaust. Thinking of the bilge with the use of something like those long window planters..

Then when done paint it the inside with regular inside house paint, me it be grey like the u-boats. Then add the PVC piping for looks, set large ones for water flow so they have valves, and smaller ones to rep electrical routing. Maybe a control valve system for air flow control to the tanks. Then do the build for the control console, I saw some light fixtures at one of these places that are similar to work lights, probably put 1 or 2 attached to the wall. Maybe use a florescent bulb. I would set it so I can enter in from the back. if you had the room to make it long enough, lol can even place a forward hold for sleeping area! It really depends on how far you want to go to get the look and feel really. Me I just take it as far as I could for "to see how good I can get it".
Old 07-11-15, 10:32 PM   #72
Kessner
Helmsman

Maybe you be interested in "just a look" at this. Below the pic is the lay out of this sub.. In the list below they have the operators Manuel for it.. Just a share, May need to copy and paste into the explore bar..

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570.htm
Old 07-12-15, 03:25 AM   #73
tmccarthy
Admiral

Quote:
Maybe you be interested in "just a look" at this. Below the pic is the lay out of this sub.. In the list below they have the operators Manuel for it.. Just a share, May need to copy and paste into the explore bar..

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570.htm
Thanks.

I hope to visit the U-505 in Chicago some day. It looks like a very impressive display. So far I've only made it to the USS Pampanito in San Franciso.

It sounds like you have a good plan for making a highly detailed simulator. I hope that you are able to achieve it. I think you will find that it's worth the effort.

I enjoyed designing and constructing this simulator even though there were some frustrating times and failures along the way. It's nice to have a sense of "ownership" on a "boat" that you built and can sail around the world and take into battle. It's nice to have physical elements like the periscope and tasks that tie into SH4. And of course there's the added sense of immersion when in a simulator.
Old 07-12-15, 03:37 AM   #74
tmccarthy
Admiral

I think it's worth mentioning that the current design of this SH4 simulator is a result of having not fully committed to this being a 100% submarine simulator only. The original idea was to have interchangeable interior features and the option to convert this simulator for use with other Naval simulations, surface ships, like Destroyer Command and Dangerous Waters. It's a compromise that resulted in somewhat random and generic features.

For example by changing the periscope to a gun sight the simulator could be the Main Battery Director on a Fletcher class destroyer. Or, the CIC on a modern frigate in Dangerous Waters.

Old 07-12-15, 08:26 AM   #75
Boffingham
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Default Nice Work

It is a very nice, well thought out design, congrats! I was wondering if anyone has used a MAME controller to use some special keys like torpedo firing and create an external box with toggles or special switches. This might make the SIM seem more realistic.

Cheers
Boffingham is offline   Reply With Quote