Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 11-26-08, 01:25 PM   #1
Loud_Silence
Planesman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Deviated VORs, ILSs and Airways in FSX

As you may know, an airway that starts from a VOR in the heading 080, for example, will go over the radial 080 of that VOR. But almost all airways i've used in FSX are way off course! For example, if i fly over the radial 080 of some VOR, with no wind or anything that could change my course, in reality im flying heading 083 or something like that!
Also, ive found some ILSs with a deviation up to 4 degrees. For example, if the runway is headed at 090, the ILS makes you fly at 094 and things like that. I also've found more ILSs wich go paralell with the runway...
These things are totally messing up my IFR flights. Anyone knows something about this bug or if there is a patch to fix it? Thanks.
Loud_Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 06:44 PM   #2
Ubergeek87
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 15

I can't say I've experienced/noticed this. Are you taking the magnetic variation between true north and magnetic north into account?

As for the ILS, some runways actual courses are a bit different than their names suggest. For example KORD (<--pdf link) runway 4R's course is 44.3 degrees, not 40.

I'm not sure why an ILS would guide you in parallel to a runway unless the runway course is entered into the autopilot incorrectly or the scenery doesn't match up right.

If none of the above is the case, could you list the add-ons you're using and/or some more specific examples(airports, runways, planes)?

I hope this helped.
Ubergeek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 07:30 AM   #3
Loud_Silence
Planesman

Try the VOR LAX at Los Angeles Intl. If you're over its radial 100 and then you fly straight to the vor, you will be flying heading 102. Check in in an AC with a glass cockpit for better precission.
Old 11-27-08, 08:38 AM   #4
Rilder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Wait, I don't understand, I thought the only point of Non-Combat flight simulators was to do stunts in Jumbo jets? :p

Last edited by Rilder; 11-27-08 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-27-08, 05:54 PM   #5
Ubergeek87
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 15

Hmm, you're right. I checked LAX with several planes on several radials and they all were off by 2 degrees to the right. X-Plane doesn't seem to do that, so it's not a problem with our flying...I dunno then, anyone else have some input?

Quote:
Wait, I don't understand, I thought the only point of Non-Combat flight simulators was to do stunts in Jumbo jets? :p
It is, but being 2 degrees off could really fubar an A380's back flip in the grand canyon.
Ubergeek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-08, 08:20 AM   #6
Loud_Silence
Planesman

There's also a ILS in KSFO (san francisco intl) going nowhere. If you follow it you will end right into one of the hangars.
In LEMD (madrid, spain) the runway 33L ILS is slightly deviated to the left, it ends at the runway but the beginning is offcentered.
Old 12-20-08, 10:54 AM   #7
Loud_Silence
Planesman

According to the map, runway 22 ILS IN KEDW (Edwards AFB) has a heading of 224º, but in reality its closer to 225º . I think this is because the true heading of the ILS is something like 224.8º, but the maps doesn't show decimals (something that X-Plane did, one of the few good things it had).

Seriously, i've been looking around for some way to solve all these problems, but i can't find nothing anywhere!! X-Plane just sucks, so the only non-combat flight sim left is FSX, but this problem with the VORs and the ILSs is screwing it deep. PLEASE, HELP!

One degree might not look a big difference, but with fog and crosswind (why oh why my airplane always ends to the left of the centerline even if there's no crosswinds!?!?) that degree can be de difference between landing and becoming a crater next to the runway...

Last edited by Loud_Silence; 12-20-08 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-29-08, 02:15 PM   #8
Loud_Silence
Planesman

Take a look at Honolulu Intl's Runway 26L ILS

EDIT: I don't believe it... accordin to my charts, that ILS is correct! Its an LDA... never heared about it before, but it looks like the wayward ILS on KSFO... they may exist in the real world

Last edited by Loud_Silence; 12-29-08 at 02:32 PM.