Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 06-10-09, 02:48 PM   #316
Cameljockey
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I really can't tell you about the US medals as I haven't flown a US campaign yet. I abhor SPADS. I'd rather fly a Fokker!

CJ
Cameljockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 04:11 PM   #317
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameljockey View Post
I really can't tell you about the US medals as I haven't flown a US campaign yet. I abhor SPADS. I'd rather fly a Fokker!

CJ
Actually, I picked a Unit that flys Sopwith Camel's. I never tried the Spad.

I do plan to create a new Pilot and fly for the German's so that I can fly the Fokker Dr.1

I hope the German Campaign's have more than 1 Medal. The Medal of Honor is impressive to earn but 4 is ridiculus and unbelievable.
Old 06-10-09, 09:57 PM   #318
Cameljockey
Watch

The DrI is my favorite except from mid 1918 until the Armistice, when they were too slow to be useful. The DVII is off the chain. A definite SPAD eater.

CJ
Old 06-15-09, 07:47 AM   #319
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Well, I found out the "distributor" never bothered to ship OFF, despite sending me an email that said otherwise. So I'm out $39.00 with nothing to show for it after about 40 days. Way to go.

On a more serious note, at leasr Mark/Winding Man from OFF has been a big help in trying to get this squared away.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 10:03 AM   #320
Cameljockey
Watch

Sorry to hear you're having problems. It happens. WM will get you straight though. I got mine lightning fast. I ordered on 30 January (a Friday) at it was in the mailbox on Monday, 2 February. Over the weekend from California to Carolina. I guess I was lucky.

CJ
Old 06-15-09, 02:19 PM   #321
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpector View Post
The Medal of Honor is impressive to earn but 4 is ridiculus and unbelievable.
I think it's safe to say that even getting one is abit unbelievable.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 06:51 PM   #322
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
I think it's safe to say that even getting one is abit unbelievable.
Agreed. Frank Luke only got one, lol, and that was a posthumus award.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 06:59 PM   #323
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter View Post
Agreed. Frank Luke only got one, lol, and that was a posthumus award.
And even that isnt a clear case according to our beloved friend, Wikipedia.

Quote:
Citation:
After having previously destroyed a number of enemy aircraft within 17 days he voluntarily started on a patrol after German observation balloons. Though pursued by 8 German planes which were protecting the enemy balloon line, he unhesitatingly attacked and shot down in flames 3 German balloons, being himself under heavy fire from ground batteries and the hostile planes. Severely wounded, he descended to within 50 meters of the ground, and flying at this low altitude near the town of Murvaux opened fire upon enemy troops, killing 6 and wounding as many more. Forced to make a landing and surrounded on all sides by the enemy, who called upon him to surrender, he drew his automatic pistol and defended himself gallantly until he fell dead from a wound in the chest.

The citation contained errors attributable to confused accounts from French witnesses to Luke's final flight. He was not intercepted by German fighters; he did not strafe enemy troops before his forced landing; and he was not "surrounded on all sides." [6]
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 07:28 AM   #324
Cameljockey
Watch

They're working to straighten out the medals thing. That part of the sim never has been that great. Hopefully it'll be a lot better once they get through with it.

CJ
Old 06-19-09, 09:42 AM   #325
AngusJS
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 62

I just ordered my copy! The price is now $30.
AngusJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 07:58 PM   #326
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameljockey View Post
They're working to straighten out the medals thing. That part of the sim never has been that great. Hopefully it'll be a lot better once they get through with it.

CJ
Who could I contact to make a few suggestions? I have always had an interest in Military Decorations and not just from the US.

I even managed to create a chart I used with B-17: The Mighty Eighth to figure out how to earn as much as 17 Awards (Medals & Ribbons) of that time frame. 13 were already determined in the Sim. No one ever earned them all (as that would not have been believable) but the potential was there. Most Crewmen earned about 6-8, very few earned a few over that. I just added the POW, and commendations as well as Unit Awards and a few Badges based on skills already listed in the Sim. All 120 Uniforms sure looked impressive and believable at the end of the Campaign.I think it took me 2 hours to update all 120 Records at the end of each flight. I really hated to lose a Crewman and it was not much fun to have to create a new Record to replace a fallen Crewman.

For OFF, I have a chart that has 20 (though several did not exist in WW1), I just used current Air Force Awards for the Chart, not just Army Air Corps Awards since I did not have a good picture of a WW1 Uniform to use for the template, Which I would only suggest WW1 era awards to OBD.

The Purple Heart and POW Medals were not earned during my greatest moments

The Medal of Honor would never have been award based on my chart. I limited it to 50 hours of flight, or 100 confirmed Aerial Victories or 100 confirmed Ground Victories. So far, I only have 24 Confirmed Aerial Victories out of 43 Claimed.

Last edited by GSpector; 06-19-09 at 08:14 PM.
GSpector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 10:02 PM   #327
rabu
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpector View Post
Who could I contact to make a few suggestions? I have always had an interest in Military Decorations and not just from the US.

I even managed to create a chart I used with B-17: The Mighty Eighth to figure out how to earn as much as 17 Awards (Medals & Ribbons) of that time frame. 13 were already determined in the Sim. No one ever earned them all (as that would not have been believable) but the potential was there. Most Crewmen earned about 6-8, very few earned a few over that. I just added the POW, and commendations as well as Unit Awards and a few Badges based on skills already listed in the Sim. All 120 Uniforms sure looked impressive and believable at the end of the Campaign.I think it took me 2 hours to update all 120 Records at the end of each flight. I really hated to lose a Crewman and it was not much fun to have to create a new Record to replace a fallen Crewman.

For OFF, I have a chart that has 20 (though several did not exist in WW1), I just used current Air Force Awards for the Chart, not just Army Air Corps Awards since I did not have a good picture of a WW1 Uniform to use for the template, Which I would only suggest WW1 era awards to OBD.

The Purple Heart and POW Medals were not earned during my greatest moments

The Medal of Honor would never have been award based on my chart. I limited it to 50 hours of flight, or 100 confirmed Aerial Victories or 100 confirmed Ground Victories. So far, I only have 24 Confirmed Aerial Victories out of 43 Claimed.
You can contact Shredward on the OFF Combat Ace forum. He is pretty good about getting back to people and would be interested in anything you have to add historically.
Old 06-20-09, 12:50 AM   #328
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabu View Post
You can contact Shredward on the OFF Combat Ace forum. He is pretty good about getting back to people and would be interested in anything you have to add historically.
Great, thanks for the information. I'd like to suggest the following Awards for WW1:

Medal of Honor (1904-1944 design, already used)
Distinguished Service Cross (after July 9,1918)
Certificate of Merit (same as above but Prior to July 9, 1918)
Distinguished Service Medal (Authorized April 6, 1917)
Silver Star (After July 9, 1918)
Citation Star (same as above but Prior to July 9, 1918)
Purple Heart (Approved for wear after After April 5, 1917)
Prisoner of War Medal (Approved for wear after After April 5, 1917)
World War 1 Victory Medal

So, there were only about 7 Awards back then but at least it's better than just the Medal of Honor.
Old 07-22-09, 12:58 PM   #329
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511
Default OFF Help ?

I just got CFS3 at Target store online for $9.99 sooooo.

I'd like to try OFF phase 1 & 2 to see if I want to order phase 3.

Anyone have a link for 1 & 2 D\L ?

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 01:05 PM   #330
Biggles
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post

Anyone have a link for 1 & 2 D\L ?
Last time I checked, they removed them from their website, so now you have to ask someone about a DVD with it