SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-19-14, 06:15 AM   #16
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1
I'm sorry, I didn't understand your post.
What are you writing?
Who is Nut Job?
What do you want? create a new tool for SH3 or SH5?
The problem is not relevant today... i think.
Long ago you wrote about the opportunities improve source code and realize not finished functions to S3D..? Do you got consent to this from the author (skwasjer)?

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-14, 02:03 PM   #17
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't understand your post.
What are you writing?
Who is Nut Job?
What do you want? create a new tool for SH3 or SH5?
The problem is not relevant today... i think.
Long ago you wrote about the opportunities improve source code and realize not finished functions to S3D..? Do you got consent to this from the author (skwasjer)?
I am the Nut Job. Remember 1st Exporter for SH5?
New tool for SH3/4. I have no interest in SH5.
I've started a C++ project to transplant the 3D nodes into a location dat.
That could then be edited in S3D.
Reverse the process to get a corrected location dat for in Game.
One would still need to launch the Game to test but it's still far better then what is out there now.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-14, 09:24 PM   #18
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1
Excellent, Jeff.
Now my dull head understood you.
I remember swasjer wrote if anyone would did 3D viewer/editor better he would was happy add it to the S3D.

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...

Last edited by Anvart; 09-20-14 at 11:40 PM.
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 03:00 AM   #19
Alfred Keitzer
Kapitän zur See

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 0

Like so many, I just have not been happy with Lorient as implemented in SH3. Took a little doing but I now have a new Lorient located in its more proper location. With the help of Silent 3ditor, SH3MissionEditor, pencil and paper, and my knowledge of 3D graphics, I set to work on hacking the existing Lorient files. Took the original base and pretty much deleted half of it not related to the bunkers, leaving the equivalent of Keroman I, II and III (K1, K2 and K3 in the images). It all involved six basic files ...

The bad news is making a base involves changing two of the Campaign Mission files as described below, and since every version of SH3 (NYGM, GWX, LSH3, etc.) and even some MODs can have their own version(s) of the campaign files, making this available to everyone might take some doing.

This current implementation was made using the GWX3 Basic Campaign with the "GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V7[/i]" MOD installed.

The file changes necessary were ...

-- data\Terrain\Locations\Lorient.dat -- this file actually defines the base in terms of individual components. I had to determine what needed to go and delete from this file. Not an easy task given limited tools and Ubisoft's format.
-- data\Terrain\Locations\Lorient.tga -- update the 2D base footprint shown on maps.
-- data\Terrain\Locations.cfg -- this file actually defines where the base is located.
-- data\cfg\Flotilla.cfg -- had to change the location start point and heading for Lorient. Very surprised to learn that this does NOT actually define the starting location of the U-Boat; that is done in the next file.
-- data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_LND.mis -- this file includes a marker that determines where the U-Boat actually departs from.
-- data\Campaigns\Campaign\Campaign_SCR.mis -- had to reposition the AA guns and searchlights that sit on top of the bunkers as they are not part of the actual Lorient.dat file. Also had to move some anchored ships out of the way for the base and moved one of the Green channel buoys from further east to mark the center of the channel for departures and returns at night.

The base is certainly not perfect or flashy, but is totally functional for its intended use as a better Lorient.

Keroman III (K3) is the ready bunker used for departure and returns at Lorient.

Keroman I and II (K1 and K2) are land-based bunkers used for inspecting the U-Boats once hauled out of the water. At center is the bunker of Keroman I where U-Boats were placed on a cradle and hoisted up to the rail system that moved the U-Boat into one of the land-based bunkers for dry-dock inspection.

A decent video on the Keroman bunkers and how it all worked -- -- starting about 20 minutes into the video.

Unfortunately, I do not have the 3D software to actually finish this section of the base without a lot of time-consuming hit-or-miss guesswork. Karoman I and II should be closer together. In between was a elaborate rail system where the U-Boat (in its cradle) could be moved down the rails in front of a selected bunker and then rolled into that bunker for dry-dock inspection. As it is, I just transposed the dock people and U-Boat construction from that portion of the old Lorient base I deleted. In the old base, this section was in the water.

Looking South from behind the new Lorient base, you can see how much closer it is to the harbor entrance.

A look at the base from the west looking east.

A successful departure in a Type IXB from the new Lorient base starting in Keroman III, bunker K20.

I hope to have a version of this supporting all mission variants of GWX3 in a few weeks and one that supports GWX3 with "GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V7" shortly thereafter.

Last edited by Alfred Keitzer; 10-20-14 at 12:37 PM.
Alfred Keitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 01:51 PM   #20
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nice work

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote