SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-17-12, 12:29 AM   #1
IonicRipper
Engineer

Downloads: 103
Uploads: 0
Default What kind of U-Boat is this?

I was watching The Cruel Sea (1953) and towards the end this U-Boat appears:

I never saw this kind of U-Boat before. Can someone identify what type it is?
Old 12-17-12, 01:34 AM   #2
captgeo
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 105

I think that that is a RN type T boat,from the look of the diving planes ,and overall "look" of that boat, try the website list.

I found this site http://www.naval-history.net/WW2Camp...ritishSubs.htm

If you look at the second picture from the top of page,it is almost the same boat
Old 12-17-12, 01:51 AM   #3
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The shots at the end of the film are actual file scenes taken after the surrender and you can identify a number of real U-Boats. However, the RN had a hand in assisting in filming, providing technical support, the frigate that played HMS Saltash and the target submarines.

Some of the air attack footage during the Arctic convoy was actually USN file footage from the Pacific. Still one of the greatest war at sea movies of all times though.

You cannot go wrong with the book either.
Old 12-17-12, 01:45 PM   #4
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
You cannot go wrong with the book either.
+1

Never seen the movie though.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 02:16 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbit View Post
Never seen the movie though.
The movie is a very good and very faithful adaptation of about 2/3 of the book. It has the advantage of being made soon enough after the war that they still had a 'Flower' to film on.

If you like the book I would recommend his big book Monsarrat At Sea.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...9&postcount=90
Old 12-17-12, 03:15 PM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonicRipper View Post
I was watching The Cruel Sea (1953) and towards the end this U-Boat appears:

I never saw this kind of U-Boat before. Can someone identify what type it is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by captgeo View Post
I think that that is a RN type T boat,from the look of the diving planes ,and overall "look" of that boat, try the website list.

I found this site http://www.naval-history.net/WW2Camp...ritishSubs.htm

If you look at the second picture from the top of page,it is almost the same boat
She is a RN S Class

http://freespace.virgin.net/metcalf....ngs/Sclass.htm

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 07:41 PM   #7
captgeo
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Thank you ,I knew it was an RN sub,.....and you beat me too the actual class.......I will be quicker next time..LOL
Old 12-17-12, 08:01 PM   #8
IonicRipper
Engineer

Downloads: 103

That's strange considering they called it a u-boat and started shooting at it after it surfaced. Was it a movie mistake?
Old 12-17-12, 08:16 PM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonicRipper View Post
That's strange considering they called it a u-boat and started shooting at it after it surfaced. Was it a movie mistake?
The movie people probably didn't have access to a real u-boat. I saw a WW2 fighter movie a long time ago with P-47s playing themselves and P-51s playing Messerschmitts. And then there was The Hunters, about the Korean War, with F-84Fs playing MiG-15. And don't forget Top Gun, in which Northrop F-5s played modern "MiGs".

Movie folks go with what's handy.
Old 12-17-12, 08:22 PM   #10
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
The movie people probably didn't have access to a real u-boat. I saw a WW2 fighter movie a long time ago with P-47s playing themselves and P-51s playing Messerschmitts. And then there was The Hunters, about the Korean War, with F-84Fs playing MiG-15. And don't forget Top Gun, in which Northrop F-5s played modern "MiGs".

Movie folks go with what's handy.
That reminds me: in the 60's war movie epic The Battle of Britain, they used Rolls-Royce engined Bf109Gs and adjusted them to look like Bf109Es, and in one scene used them to stand in for Hawker Hurricanes! They also used Rolls-Royce engined He111's. All of them were donated by the Spanish. And they made the Stukas from modern civilian planes, I believe. And in Tora! Tora! Tora!, they used American training planes from WWII as Aichi D3A1s. And the film Midway used scenes from both movies!
Old 12-17-12, 09:13 PM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Close, but not quite. The 'Messerschmitts' were indeed Rolls-Royce powered, but they were Spanish-built Ha-1112s, built under license duing the 1950s.

No, they didn't stand in for Hurricanes. Though the Hurricane bore the brunt of the battle, in 1966 there were only three flyable airframes in the world. They used all three in the movie.

The bombers were also built in Spain under license, CASA 2.111s.

The sturzkampflugeugs ("Stukas") were radio-controlled models.

You might as well also complain about the Spitfires, which were mostly late-war models that weren't around in 1940.

As for Tora! Tora! Tora!, again not quite. All the planes were made from American trainers, and all were seriously modified to look very much like the originals. The Mitsubishi A6M2 'Zeroes' were built from AT-6 Texans (what the Brits call the 'Harvard'). Except for the join lines where the outer wing pieces meet the center section they are almost indistinguishable from the original.

The Aichi D3Y 'Vals' and Nakajima B5N 'Kates' were reconstucted from Vultee BT-13 trainers, so extensively that former Lt. Cmdr. Zenji Abe, who flew a Kate at Pearl Harbor, said "... it was an exact copy of the real Val in every detail."
http://www.toratoratora.com/historyrebuilt.html

So you're laughing at the most exact replicas possible at the time. As for Midway, the less said about that piece of garbage the better. Yes, they did use a scene from Battle Of Britain in the movie. They also used one in Das Boot. And the attacking British planes in that movie were indeed surplus Harvards, not modified at all.
Old 12-17-12, 09:20 PM   #12
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Quote:
No, they didn't stand in for Hurricanes. Though the Hurricane bore the brunt of the battle, in 1966 there were only three flyable airframes in the world. They used all three in the movie.
Have you got a copy of the movie? Put it in, and watch the first scene with the Polish squadron. Pause it at the scene which clearly shows all five of the Hurricanes, and you'll notice that the two at the back have struts on the tail, a feature sported by only one fighter in that theater at the time... the Bf109E.

Like the 4-bladed Bf109 propeller, it's pretty difficult to notice, I only saw it on my fifth viewing.

And I wasn't laughing at the awesome replicas, I'm quite impressed. I'm just laughing at the fact that a movie used clips from both movies.
Old 12-17-12, 11:28 PM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
Have you got a copy of the movie? Put it in, and watch the first scene with the Polish squadron. Pause it at the scene which clearly shows all five of the Hurricanes, and you'll notice that the two at the back have struts on the tail, a feature sported by only one fighter in that theater at the time... the Bf109E.
I have watched it every September 15 for the last 20 years or so, with a couple of exceptions. If you'll notice, several of the "all five" Hurricanes are bombed and blown up. They built a bunch of full-size models just for that purpose, and they had to use struts to support the fiberglass stabilizers. Do you really believe they would completely rebuild a Bf-109 to look like a Hurricane?

Quote:
Like the 4-bladed Bf109 propeller, it's pretty difficult to notice, I only saw it on my fifth viewing.
Then you probably haven't noticed the biggest glaring error of the movie. On several occasions fighters explode. The Spitfires invariably have the wings come off, whereas the real Spitfire's wing was a single piece. The 109s, on the other hand, have the fuselage disintigrate while the 'wing' tumbles down. The real Bf-109 had separate bolt-on wings.

Quote:
And I wasn't laughing at the awesome replicas, I'm quite impressed. I'm just laughing at the fact that a movie used clips from both movies.
Fair enough. Midway has to be the worst movie of the type ever made.
Old 12-17-12, 11:40 PM   #14
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Quote:
Do you really believe they would completely rebuild a Bf-109 to look like a Hurricane?
No, but I would believe that they would repaint a Ha-1112 in a RAF fighter colour scheme from 1940, send it up with 3 Hurricanes, and make sure the only time it's obvious is when they bank to attack, when it's almost square wing tips are obvious. Watch that bit, and you'll see it.
Also, the 4-bladed Bf109 propeller is seen in the background when Föhn is walking to his 109 on Adler-Tag.
Old 12-17-12, 11:44 PM   #15
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
No, but I would believe that they would repaint a Ha-1112 in a RAF fighter colour scheme from 1940, send it up with 3 Hurricanes, and make sure the only time it's obvious is when they bank to attack, when it's almost square wing tips are obvious. Watch that bit, and you'll see it.
I've just rewatched the entire opening sequence, and I don't see any struts at all.
Quote:
Also, the 4-bladed Bf109 propeller is seen in the background when Föhn is walking to his 109 on Adler-Tag.
At what minute of the film is this?