SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-17, 07:45 AM   #1
Senf-Man82
Gunner

Downloads: 333
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] Finally someone did it...(IXD2 with Flag)

Hey mates,

I was wondering for years now why there has never been a Flag-mod for german Subs, unless there is a paricular reason...

Well, never mind. Did some canibalizing of TMO and got what I wanted

Linked to stock flag-texture in game

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5149

(PS.: And yes, the flag won't be seen under water, I am only a little bit of a noob...)

Last edited by Senf-Man82; 02-18-17 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Pubishing
Senf-Man82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 10:08 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Yes, Ducimus did the substitution for historical reasons. Whitewashing a problem eliminates discussion and knowledge for anyone who asks the questions resulting from seeing the historically accurate flag. This, in my opinion, risks removing the tough realities from the existence of the war in the first place.

Those who insist on removing all Nazi symbolism promote ignorance, whitewashing the evil that created World War II in the first place. That central fact should never be forgotten. It should be remembered and guarded against for all time so a repeat is less likely to happen.

Those who remove Nazi symbols have a different opinion. They believe the world should go on as if Nazis never were. They believe that the best resolution of the problem is to forget it ever existed. Then those inclined to make heroes of the Nazis and their symbols will have nothing to glorify.

Of course, those who perpetrate such evil in the future will have their own symbols and their own mythology. They won't need Nazi flags. I doubt either opinion has the ability to change the world for the better.

Now watch out for an error Ducimus made in implementing these flags. He messed up the JSGME commands, causing TMO not to properly restore the stock game when it is uninstalled. Let's say he replaced germanflag.dds. Instead of merely supplying his own version of germanflag.dds and letting JSGME replace it, Ducimus couldn't resist using a new feature of the latest JSGME version. Making an empty file named germanflag.dds.-remove, he simultaneously commanded JSGME to remove the german flag and also to replace it. This hopelessly confuses JSGME (because of order of operations). First it removes all record that germanflag.dds existed in the stock game, then it inserts Ducimus' germanflag.dds.

So long as TMO is installed everything works. BUT when you uninstall TMO, or your mod if you faithfully copied Ducimus' methodology, the game lacks any kind of german flags. They have been removed from your underlying stock game! If you're using his flags, don't copy the -remove files!

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 02-13-17 at 10:17 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 11:13 AM   #3
Senf-Man82
Gunner

I am totally with you altough I am german, so I am properly doomed anyway.

But here is what I don't get. There are german flags in the game (the Pocket battleship) and yes they are altered, but why the hell no flag on the sub linked with the stock flag texture???

I sometimes like to use the old imperial flag (it's nicer and more "true"), ok here in Germany this one is also totally evil (legal but evil, again I am doomed for not hating my country anyway, makes me not giving a f... anymore).
So is it an issue to publish such a mod or not? Would somebody even like it, or will I get kicked out of the community (even as recent donor)?

As far as that TMO-issue is concerned, nobody needs to worry. I just took the flagpole model and the mesh animation data to do the rest in S3D by myself. Works fine so far and is easly removable.
Old 02-14-17, 09:39 AM   #4
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senf-Man82 View Post
As far as that TMO-issue is concerned, nobody needs to worry. I just took the flagpole model and the mesh animation data to do the rest in S3D by myself. Works fine so far and is easly removable.
As Double R points out, the "TMO issue" is in the two original stock game flag .dds images being removed from the stock game with TMO. That's a no no! A mod should never permanently remove a stock game file/image...for nothing else but to keep a players stock game intact. Don't get me wrong, you can get the original German flags back by either having a complete duplicate of the two stock flag images and copy/pasting them back in....or.....do a complete reinstall.

Senf-Man82, as long as you didn't follow Ducimus's changes in TMO's Texture/tex/TNormal folder for the two original German.dds files...your addition will be a great mod for the German side of play.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 10:59 AM   #5
Senf-Man82
Gunner

Yea, no problem. As I pointed out, I am not a total noob. Nothing of my mod(s) ever touches any stock files, it brings its own flag texture, which could be anything a potential user wants. Even if I just link it to the stock flag, all file are JSGME ready and remain so.
Old 02-15-17, 11:22 AM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:

But here is what I don't get. There are german flags in the game (the Pocket battleship) and yes they are altered, but why the hell no flag on the sub linked with the stock flag texture???

I sometimes like to use the old imperial flag (it's nicer and more "true"), ok here in Germany this one is also totally evil (legal but evil, again I am doomed for not hating my country anyway, makes me not giving a f... anymore).
So is it an issue to publish such a mod or not? Would somebody even like it, or will I get kicked out of the community (even as recent donor)?
Publish away! That will be a great mod for German players.

It is a shame that those who think that the problem of the world is nationalism, and that nationalism is the root cause of all war are ascendent in Europe now.

The same people who are saying that Genoa salami in order to be marketed honestly must be made in Genoa because there is something unique and valuable about where it comes from, say that you cannot be proud of your country's accomplishments, that your country has nothing of value which makes it worth celebrating. Yes, they are self-contradictory, but people of such political persuasion usually are.

If the rejoining of East and West Germany into a single people, at great expense to individuals, businesses and government, isn't something unique, to be proud of, and a reason to fly the German flag high, then no nation on earth has a claim to greatness. It is possibly the single most noble achievement of mankind in the past fifty years.

Patriotism has nothing to do with the desire and development of power to dominate other territories. Let the liars lie, but don't believe their lies. Germany is a special and exemplary citizen of the world, worthy of patriotism and worthy of celebrating.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 03:44 PM   #7
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:

Senf-Man82,

If you need copies of the flags:

Non-Offensive German Flag Pack

Offensive German Flag Pack

As the guy's said above, this issue was fixed within FOTRSU and I retained the flags for an add-on for FOTRSU when released.

And please, yes release the mod to the community, it will be well received from all the uboat commanders.
Old 02-18-17, 03:35 PM   #8
Senf-Man82
Gunner

Default Published!!

See first post
Old 02-19-17, 07:32 AM   #9
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114