Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 12-08-07, 01:55 PM   #1
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Default Reality or IL-2?

Some of the footage is sad I guess, when you think of the bomber crews inside. I have seen all of this in Il-2. man is that game realistic
Old 12-08-07, 04:10 PM   #2
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

I think I'd have preferred it if it would have been a tribute to the Allied flyers who were trying to stop those b*st*rds in the first place, rather than the other way around. I realise that the German flyers were just 'doing their job' so to speak, and they may not all have been ardent Nazis, but unfortunately, their job involved keeping a regime that killed six million people in concentration camps in power, not to mention an estimated 90 million people killed in stopping them, the Italians and the Japanese during WW2, and I don't really think that's worth a tribute to the aggressors, particularly one which seems to revel in showing lots of Allied flyers getting killed. To be honest the film comes over like some Nazi lover's wet dream to me, rather than a tribute of any sort, and if it is meant to be a tribute, it's one done in rather poor taste. Why not a tribute to all flyers if that's what it is trying to be?

I'm very interested in WW2 aviation of course so it is interesting to see gun camera footage, but I don't want to watch it as entertainment with someone's favourite music track plonked over it like some sort of MTV pop video.

Chock
Old 12-08-07, 06:56 PM   #3
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

One thing it does confirm is that A) I am not such a bad shot and B) It seems harder in IL-2 to do damage to a bomber than in real life.
Old 12-08-07, 08:00 PM   #4
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus
B) It seems harder in IL-2 to do damage to a bomber than in real life.
You need to remember that's 190s in the vids. Bomber-Killers that pack quite a punch both in RL and in IL2.

And what comes to the vid, it's saddening to watch those planes go down. Not just the Allied airmen, but anyone, must be an horrible death.

Most disturbing scene of this particular video must be at 02:55, where the fighter peppers the ballturret, which, of course is and wise thing to do when attacking enemy bomber, but still.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-07, 11:08 PM   #5
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

[quote=Dowly]
Quote:
B)
Most disturbing scene of this particular video must be at 02:55, where the fighter peppers the ballturret, which, of course is and wise thing to do when attacking enemy bomber, but still.
I think we are thinking of the same footage. That whole crew must be dead, I kept wondering why they (the B-17) wasn't shooting back!?? It was sad to see those areas of the bomber be hit and you know there are crewmen in there. (such as the tail gunner and ball gunner). The FW-190 seemed to totally have its way with the B-17. I wonder if it was a straggler or a "tail-end charlie?"
Old 12-08-07, 11:51 PM   #6
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock
I think I'd have preferred it if it would have been a tribute to the Allied flyers who were trying to stop those b*st*rds in the first place, rather than the other way around. I realise that the German flyers were just 'doing their job' so to speak, and they may not all have been ardent Nazis, but unfortunately, their job involved keeping a regime that killed six million people in concentration camps in power, not to mention an estimated 90 million people killed in stopping them, the Italians and the Japanese during WW2, and I don't really think that's worth a tribute to the aggressors, particularly one which seems to revel in showing lots of Allied flyers getting killed. To be honest the film comes over like some Nazi lover's wet dream to me, rather than a tribute of any sort, and if it is meant to be a tribute, it's one done in rather poor taste. Why not a tribute to all flyers if that's what it is trying to be?

I'm very interested in WW2 aviation of course so it is interesting to see gun camera footage, but I don't want to watch it as entertainment with someone's favourite music track plonked over it like some sort of MTV pop video.

Chock
Totally agree with you, Chock. That's what sometimes kept me from playing SH3. I had a WWII class last year (man, I must sound like a little kid to you guys...I'm only a senior in High School) and I didn't play SH3 for a month after watching Schindler's list. Of course I knew of the atrocities before that, but man, that movie really put it into perspective for me....
Old 12-09-07, 10:40 AM   #7
Biggles
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 5

Schindlers List is the only movie I've cried too. Seriously.

Must say it is in poor taste to make a video of this kind and then add this kind of music to it...

Also disturbed over the comments to it over at Youtube...some guy thought it was a propaganda movie, and people started to harass him and mark his post as bad!
Old 12-09-07, 02:36 PM   #8
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

Quote:
It seems harder in IL-2 to do damage to a bomber than in real life.
Without real life experiance of shooting bombers down, you cant really claim that.

In IL2 I mainly fly bombers and I would cvertinaly claim that they are too fragile. Especialy the A20.
Old 12-09-07, 05:29 PM   #9
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum
Quote:
Without real life experiance of shooting bombers down, you cant really claim that.

In IL2 I mainly fly bombers and I would cvertinaly claim that they are too fragile. Especialy the A20.
Well it could actually be a case of BOTH in IL-2, easily explained by the fact that AI is perhaps a little too good at shooting in the game, both in terms of fighters and bomber gunners (fair criticism, I think).

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07, 05:45 PM   #10
Letum
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum
Quote:

Well it could actually be a case of BOTH in IL-2, easily explained by the fact that AI is perhaps a little too good at shooting in the game, both in terms of fighters and bomber gunners (fair criticism, I think).

hehe, you think the AI gunners are good?
you should a' been there when we did a 6 plane He111 formation with human gunners.

The AI gunners are only any good when people attack from the wrong angles.

If you take time to line up and attack from the high 1 or 11 o'clock, you will never take a bullet.

I see people all the time tryinmg to attach he111s or B25s from the 6, 9 and 3. Usualy at co-alt.
Old 12-10-07, 06:21 PM   #11
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

As german fighter I find bomber killing rather easy,

the ME109 is great in a dive and a couple of shots aimed at the wings righter between the engine and the fuselage and it snaps off like that, if done right the AI gunners dont even hit you.

Liked the footage in that video.

thought its a sad view knowing what was going on the inside of that bomber.
Old 12-10-07, 07:18 PM   #12
Letum
Navy Seal

yer, I have not seen think link. I can't bear to watch guncam footage.
Old 12-11-07, 04:00 PM   #13
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

[quote=nikimcbee]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Quote:
B)
I think we are thinking of the same footage. That whole crew must be dead, I kept wondering why they (the B-17) wasn't shooting back!?? It was sad to see those areas of the bomber be hit and you know there are crewmen in there. (such as the tail gunner and ball gunner). The FW-190 seemed to totally have its way with the B-17. I wonder if it was a straggler or a "tail-end charlie?"
Okay, the one I'm thinking of is #10 the BF-110 vs B-17. The ball gunner gets worked over. If you watch closely, they start lowering the landing gear.

The other plane that gets worked over was the Russian one, at the very end the fuselage takes a number of hits, man that had to have hit/killed the pilot.
Old 12-11-07, 04:28 PM   #14
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

If you pause on the shot at 2:55, when the bullets hit the turret, you can see the crewman is dead (that black piece flying out is in fact his body; side of the turret was blown, and he was sucked out, probably dead already from the killer's strafe).

War's a terrible thing. I think the worst footage I've ever seen of a bomber killer was when a man jumped out of a B-17 --ON FIRE-- without a parachute. He was the only one that made it out seconds before it blew to pieces, killing everyone inside.

Marseille's body was also a sad sight to behold. Poor wretch slain due to his crash into the tail of his BF-109, plunging hundreds of feet to his death on the sands below.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote