SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to play a single mission campaign?
Yes. 13 72.22%
No. 4 22.22%
Depends. (Please specify) 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-05, 07:10 PM   #1
Apocal
Navy Dude

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Who's in the for long haul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQueen
You will never find detailed descriptions of these scenarios on the Internet, though.
I stand corrected! This is a report published by RAND detailing the results of a computer model they ran of a hypothetical China-Taiwan scenario.

http://www.rand.org/publications/MR/MR1217/

It looks interesting. It's unclassified, and it has more than enough detail to allow one to start thinking about the military aspects of a "realistic" China-Taiwan invasion scenario.
Hmmm... reading this gives me an idea for a realtime four day mission-campaign.

It would certainly solve any problems with player's being just a bit too proliferate with weapons, as it would be entirely possible to deplete your entire stock of ordnance before the endgame. Imagine actually having to come up every six hours to copy down the submarine broadcast for continuing updates and orders.

I have to ask though, would anyone be willing to play a mission where long stretches of time would have to be taken up by max time accleration with a relatively low percentage spent in active combat?
Apocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 09:48 PM   #2
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0
Default Re: Who's in the for long haul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocal
I have to ask though, would anyone be willing to play a mission where long stretches of time would have to be taken up by max time accleration with a relatively low percentage spent in active combat?
Sounds like a typical Harpoon game. The nice thing about naval wargames is that you can start them running, and go do something else, just checking up on it periodically.

Actually, that's not true in the FFG things tend to happen a lot faster. Cruise missiles make things very different.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 10:55 PM   #3
Apocal
Navy Dude

Default Re: Who's in the for long haul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQueen
Sounds like a typical Harpoon game. The nice thing about naval wargames is that you can start them running, and go do something else, just checking up on it periodically.

Actually, that's not true in the FFG things tend to happen a lot faster. Cruise missiles make things very different.
I'm a new Harpooner.

Cruise missiles do add a degree of reflex action. If only for that reason, if I do go ahead with this, it's going to be a SSN-only. Although I haven't decided if it's going to be a San Juan or Seawolf (or both!) yet. There's going to be some research I need to do, if it's going to be done right, so before I invest my time, I want it to be something people actually want to play.
Old 12-13-05, 05:04 PM   #4
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Lots of people have played Sicilian Wedding, and it's a long, single-mission campaign similar to what you're proposing. I say, go for it!
Old 01-16-06, 01:20 AM   #5
Apocal
Navy Dude

I'm afraid I have to concede defeat on this one. The sheer number of objects, triggers, units and scripts makes this scenario crawl even on my high end for FPS computer but if I cut back the amount of stuff, it leaves the scenario barren.

Unfortunate, but not competely unexpected on my end.
Old 01-16-06, 02:08 AM   #6
Scion
Sailor man

Downloads: 5

Are you using triggers to create objects as the player comes into range of them, and not trying to simultaneously simulate the entire theatre?
Scion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 02:26 AM   #7
Apocal
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion
Are you using triggers to create objects as the player comes into range of them, and not trying to simultaneously simulate the entire theatre?
With some objects yes, but about two-thirds are in there from the beginning. I tried to create the feeling of all-out warfare in the Strait and, when it actually ran worth a damn, it was good. You'd just be trawling along somewhere, 9 kts and about 30ft under your keel and start hearing explosions, miles away. What was it? Who was it? Do I have time to check it out or is my current tasking time critical?

The only objects that were triggered were some convoys that you had to take out when unrestricted submarine warfare was declared inside the maritime exclusion zone. I couldn't get the AI not to bomb them to pieces before the player got a shot at them.