SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-28-15, 02:00 PM   #1
ThatDeafDumbandBlindKidd
Watch

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0
Default Need Playable Ship FYI or Tutorial

!Ahoy There Maties, Now that I have SH4 Gold 1.5 from the UBI Store I'm at last ready to try out some "Playable Ships". However, I'd like someone to explain just how to play a playable ship mod. I'd like someone to point me towards a tutorial if one exists?

Having downloaded the HMS Hood and the Cleveland and installing them with the JSGME thinggy, I don't know what to do next. What game mode, what side (Allies or Axis) or map to use one of these playable ships on?

The playable ship for now does not matter I can download another playable ship that someone suggests. I'd just like to know how to use (play) one in SH4 1.4 or 1.5.
Confussed
ThatDeafDumbandBlindKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-15, 02:40 PM   #2
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

HOW? You do everything you do in a sub except sinking ... sinking bad ... floating good... and your gun is not a pea shooter but one with a range of quiet a few miles.

I'm currently running RFB with RSRD and playing as the Yamato.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157

RFB_2.0
RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010
RSRDC_RFB_V575
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Alternate OM Loading Screen
GE01 Operation Tiger
GFJB_Navigation_Maps
HFJB Color Navigation Map
Kriegsmarine Chart Colour Scheme 2
Living breathing Ocean VS_3 with new lighting and reflection work
LSMALLER SEA PLANTS SMALL
MSMALLER SEABED ROCKS
PWebster's Eliminate Floating Plankton for v1.4 and v1.5
STMO Smoke Mod
QAircraft_reflections
Battleships
KShip pack 1
Yamato
J11 New Ships + Yamato AA Fix by Miner1436

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...e&id=26&page=2

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-15, 04:00 PM   #3
ThatDeafDumbandBlindKidd
Watch

Thank You merc4ulfate, for you quick but un-informative reply. You list a lot of addons or mods but fail to inform me in a simple way just what I need to have and how to use them.
I'm very new to modding SH4 and would like to have a simple and basic step by step tutorial on just what to do to use (play) any kind of playable ship mod.
Old 09-28-15, 06:32 PM   #4
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

welcome to subsim

first off do you even know how to play the game? and im not talking basics but strategy and setting up attacks as well as evasion tactics? if not play the game a few weeks before trying a mod that completely distorts the whole game so you will have some sort of point of reference for asking questions and understanding the answers to those questions.

a good place to start would be to look over the info here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155786
Old 09-29-15, 09:07 AM   #5
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

"Having downloaded the HMS Hood and the Cleveland and installing them with the JSGME thinggy, I don't know what to do next."

Read their directions.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-15, 12:23 PM   #6
ThatDeafDumbandBlindKidd
Watch

I'm sorry for mot making my question a bit more understandable.

First of all I'd like to know when a ship's mod is called a "Playable Ship" does that mean that after it is installed with JSGME or just placing the files in the proper folders, the player will be able to pilot that ship?. Or will the playable ship mod just show up as another ship on the surface with it's pilot being AI?
I did install RFB and it did work. I also installed RSRD but i'm not sure what it does.
I always find it a bit difficult to get a clear understanding when learning to mod a new game at first, SH is no exception.

P.s Also I'm not new to the SH game. I've had SH 2,3,and 4 since they first were released. I'm just new to modding SH that's all. I've modded stuff for many games like Orbiter, bF1942 to BF2142,Killing Floor, L4D1 & L4D2, the Counter Strike game to CSGO and made some missions for the IL2-Stormavik games.
Old 09-30-15, 08:06 PM   #7
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

ohhh ok,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDeafDumbandBlindKidd View Post
First of all I'd like to know when a ship's mod is called a "Playable Ship" does that mean that after it is installed with JSGME or just placing the files in the proper folders, the player will be able to pilot that ship?
yes, that is what it means by "playable ship" your sub is modded into a surface ship and you have helm control but often very limited gun firing positions but you can usually move into a gun position and fire one big and small gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDeafDumbandBlindKidd View Post
I also installed RSRD but i'm not sure what it does.
in short rsrdc adds sa bunch of new ships to the game but mainly it rewrites the game campaign files that tell it how to play your career, where ship do and don't show up and in what areas and times so orders and places you go are modded as well as times and dates will bring you to historical battles which is cool at first but then is too boring because you already know when things are going to happen so it takes away a lot of the "randomness" of the game.
Old 10-01-15, 01:36 AM   #8
cloadmcally
A-ganger

Downloads: 54

Guys I think you missed his point.
To play a surface ship just click on "American Campaign" if your ship historically was of the allies side, while click on German Campaign if your ship was on the axis side.
Remember that in JSGME you should enable the ship mod last in order to make it work.
And once you are in the selection screen of the Campaign (where it asks for the name) just mess around with dates, command base and look for the ship you modded in.
Hope this was clear enough

Uss Trout (ss 243)
cloadmcally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-15, 12:52 PM   #9
ThatDeafDumbandBlindKidd
Watch

Thank's Again, I will experiment a bit with the information I have received from Your replies.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10/05/2015 Subject: SH4 Playable Ship Experiment Results

After removing all mods (with JSGME) I installed the PT-109 playable ship mod. It worked on SH4 1.4 and SH 1.5. I was able to pilot the ship and sink a few Junks. Question:-> How does one fire the torpedo's on the PT boat?
I then added the Battleship Yamato playable ship and a fix for it's AA Guns, but I did not see any Yamato. Then I checked the file folders and found that I had not completely unwrapped it's folder. I unwrapped that extra folder and got it to work for SH4 !.5. I'm gonna have quite a lot of fun with this ship. the question here is: How does one aim the main guns. all I could manage to do was use the red crosshair but I sank 4 ships anyway.
I then found severl folders even some single mission files that were not unwrapped properly so I corrected this and put them in the data/single missions folder.

Conclusion: I must take full responsibility for the install mistakes. And with a bit more practice with these SH4 and SH5 mods I hope to save myself from any more frustration.

Thank's Again for all the support....... TDD&BKidd

Last edited by ThatDeafDumbandBlindKidd; 10-05-15 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-19-19, 05:32 PM   #10
Noverious
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 9

So you have to have a overhaul mod first to use ship mods?
Noverious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-19, 08:19 AM   #11
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Yes, some of the mods are just the "ship" that takes the place of a submarine that you can operate. Some mods have Single Missions for you to check things out in. Very few include Campaign entries, due to the complexity of doing so. A playable ship cannot do any of the SpecOps missions, such as launching a raft for spy insertion. If you download a playable ship, and want to use a Single Mission already in the game, you would have to choose one that the submarine starts the scenario on the surface, else the mission will end rather quickly, due to the ship sinking... - as mentioned above, read the documentation that comes with the mod, and see if you can figure-out what is or is not included in the mod.

btw: "Welcome to SubSim!"

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote