SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-09-10, 07:07 AM   #1
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0
Default Nautilus Museum

Took a trip here yesterday: http://ussnautilus.org/ Alot to see! Explore the website, and take the virtual tour of the museum, and Nautilus. The Museum is right next door to the US Sub Base. Hopefully my Brother in Law e-mails me the pics he took, so I could post them for everyone.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 11:27 PM   #2
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Yep, I've always wanted to go there, maybe one day, just lil too far for me.

Hope you can post pics later.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 08:57 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WOWSER! I remember the headlines when Nautilus was launched, and when she went under the North Pole, but I never knew about this website!

Thanks!
Old 07-10-10, 09:36 AM   #4
Fish40
The Old Man

No problem Steve. It was really a great experience. The virtual tour on the website could explain the stuff better than I can, but the things that stood out for me, was the WWII era equipment. They had a room that was set up to depict the conning tower of a fleetboat, complete with working periscopes (they looked pretty authentic to me) and a TDC. I played around cranking the dials, and exerything seemed to work. A cut away Mk14 torpedo, 20mm AA gun, an TBT set up on a pedestal, plus some battle flags from various subs added to the collection. And let's not forget the Nautilus! All in all a great day!
Old 07-10-10, 11:10 AM   #5
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

I just discovered that I'm only minutes away from the USS Ling memorial. I'll have to add that to my "To Do" list for this summer's events.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 12:02 PM   #6
Fish40
The Old Man

Hey Werner, you must be in NJ. The Ling is probrably a little over a half hour drive from Yonkers. Except for the traffic horror on the GWB, not far at all. I'd love to hook up with you one day and do the tour. The website says the museum is only open on weekends, with the first tour beginning at 10:00 AM. What sucks is, I work afternoons and weekends to boot. I'm sure I could arrange something though.... uhemm , uhemmm, I feel sick.. uhemm.
Old 07-10-10, 12:12 PM   #7
Talani03
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 2
Default I remember when.......

Back in the day, when i was was in Sub School at New London, she was (sometimes not so fondly) referred to as Building 571 - mainly because she rarely left the docks. That was in 1972.

Adm. Hyman Rickover promised the Navy she'd be in service for at least 20 years, but she spent most of her last 8 tied up at Groton as an "unofficial" museum. During my six weeks at Sub School, Nautilus got under way just once, got as far as the mouth of the Thames and snapped a shaft. When a hurricane came up the east coast later that month, everything that could get underway & out of harm's way did so - except for the Nautilus. They just added extra lines and tied her down real good till it blew over.

But when she was finally retired, her crew put in extra hours to make damn sure her last days at sea were as ship-shape and proud as her first. Adm. Rickover lived just long enough to see it all - and I'm absolutely certain he spent his first week in the hereafter grinning ear to ear and collecting on his bets.
Talani03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 12:28 PM   #8
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish40 View Post
They had a room that was set up to depict the conning tower of a fleetboat, complete with working periscopes (they looked pretty authentic to me) and a TDC. I played around cranking the dials, and exerything seemed to work.
I was there a while back in the winter, and being my usual self, I checked the real functionality of the periscopes, I couldn't find the stadimeter. I think they removed that function, else my stepdad and I would've had a good setup on a passing barge. We must've spent a half hour in that room while I explained to my mother (who bought me the first Silent Hunter back in the mid 90's, I was 6) what the guys on the looped recording were talking about, the targeting setup and everything. I got so into it that when he said "Down periscope" I went to slap the handles up and backed away from the scope X_X
I spent a lot of time on the kiddie scope, crouched really close to the floor like you see when they do a shallow water attack.
I try to go there every year
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 01:37 PM   #9
Fish40
The Old Man

Yea Sledge, you're right about no Stadimeter. Believe me I played around with the thing trying to find it! I did find the focus wheel worked, but couldn't locate the magnification function. Mabey that dosen't work either. I was surprised, unless I was doing something wrong, that if I put my eye directly up to the eyepiece, I couldn't see anything. If I held my eye slightly away, I saw perfectly. The scope was rather clear to my surprise, and there was no prob at all seeing the crosshairs and calibration lines!
Old 07-10-10, 01:54 PM   #10
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

I have a whole bunch of pictures from when I visited this museum last May, and a couple from when I went in 2000 here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2741763...268872/detail/

The museum is part of the official itinerary for the 2010 meet, so don't be afraid to stop by when we go this September!

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 08:07 PM   #11
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

If you haven't already done so, check out the info & pics on Nautilus at my website