SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-08, 12:49 AM   #31
jazman
Commander

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShot
After installing the add-on.

Can you run PE and SH4 1.5 together or not?

I do run PE as a replacement for TM.
No, and if you're running version 10 of PE, even after you stop it the kernel driver is still loaded, so you have to reboot.
Old 03-04-08, 04:08 PM   #32
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default OK guys, it's simple

This post was also completely in error. SecuROM continues to run. It continues to scan for Process Explorer every time SH4UBM starts. It continues to stop SH4UBM from running if it finds Process Explorer processes running. You cannot shut down Process Explorer and play the game. You must reboot.

I recommend not purchasing the U-Boat Missions add-on until Ubi sorts out their SNAFU. I believe Sony misrepresented what SecuROM was doing here, or at least did not fully disclose the nature of their very expensive garbage.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 03-04-08 at 10:30 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 04:36 PM   #33
jazman
Commander

Downloads: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
You don't even have to remove process explorer. Set it not to run on system startup. Reboot. Install the add-on. Start Process Explorer and re-check "replace task manager", set it to run at startup if you wish. SecuROM runs no processes after installation of the add-on so it will not disturb us again.
Yes, SecuROM does something. I installed the AddOn Friday night, yesterday I start PE, and BOOM! I get a SecuROM error message when trying to start SH4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
I am curious about an adverse claim about PE accompanied by no evidence or suggestion of a better alternative. That seems a dubious claim. The correct have no need to be mysterious.
No kidding. I'm not allowed to monitor what's going on in my computer system? I guess not when I'm playing their game.
Old 03-04-08, 06:09 PM   #34
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I prefer TUT over Process Explorer.
It's not free, but the good stuff usually isn't.
Old 03-04-08, 06:13 PM   #35
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Default Workaround

Make Process Explorer take the place of Task Manager and just press ctrl-alt-delete when you want it to appear. That way it isn't resident when you start SH4UBM. I have to play with that and complain to Dan! That is very different from how he explained the situation. If no SecuROM processes ever run after installation, it could not know about Process Explorer.

Methinks Sony (as usual) sold Ubi down the river. I hate companies that have disdain for their customers. Sony is hated company number one. No Sony in my house of any kind, under any circumstances. They even beat out Bank of America.
Old 03-04-08, 06:54 PM   #36
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I agree with you on the
No Sony
and
No Bank of America.
Both have been nothing but trouble for me.
Old 03-04-08, 08:36 PM   #37
Lead Slinger

Downloads: 74

I get the no social notta problemo banco de america, but whats the beef with Sony?

1480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 09:44 PM   #38
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Default Confirmed

Maerean_m is wrong. SecuROM scans the running processes list every time SH4UBM runs. If Mark Russinovich program processes are running it returns:

You want to click the link? Notice from the link that the evil perpetrator is definitely Sony's magnificent SecuROM, telling me what lawful software it will tolerate on my property. That is called conversion and is an actionable offense. Let's click the link and remove all doubt as to what's running here.

But I didn't really have to do that, did I. We all knew what was up.

Maerean_m, you were lied to. Never trust Sony. I take that back. Trust them to screw you and the horse you rode in on and then all the customers that trusted you. Trust Sony to destroy what you have worked so long to accomplish: a game company that can make a difference in the untrusting attitudes that game companies and customers have for each other. I'm really sorry I found this.

I have no doubt that they told you SecuROM wouldn't do anything more than check for a legitimate download. Now you know something about Sony's conception of corporate integrety. This shows it has none.

There are cloakers out there that will hide whatever you want from SecuROM, but you have to be very careful because finding them puts you in some dangerous places for your computer system. Unless you know a lot more than I do, its probably best to make a decision whether this uninvited intrusion is bad enough to prevent you from downloading the add-on. Had I been warned I would not have downloaded it, even for free.

I am a trustworthy person who hates being treated as a criminal by people I pay money to. I am very disappointed the Ubi didn't learn from their first expensive foray with Sony. I won't be purchasing any more Ubi products until I find they are free of Sony garbage.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 03-04-08 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 09:53 PM   #39
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Tut, tut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer
I prefer TUT over Process Explorer.
It's not free, but the good stuff usually isn't.
TUT: The Ultimate Troubleshooter (everybody uses articles in their abbreviations, don't they?). It is not a task manager replacement, but has more analysis tools. It would be really inappropriate to use as a simple task manager, just like using Microsoft Word to edit a text file. But it looks like a really nice program for more in-depth analysis and goes way beyond a simple task manager such as Process Explorer.

Read all about it at http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/technology-and-science/ultimate-troubleshooter-utility.asp.
See, now everybody knows and I didn't have to act mysterious at all. Maybe I'm missing something. I'll just start using acronyms and initials for everything to achieve the desired effect......maybe not.
Old 03-04-08, 10:01 PM   #40
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

As my daughter use to say,
"Whatever!"
Nothing was intended as you took it.
I spend time trying to learn and help.
Not grip.
Whatever!
Old 03-04-08, 10:19 PM   #41
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

Does anyone know if the European CD or DVD version of 1.5 is free of Securom? (I am thinking of having a friend buy it for me and bring it over with him.)

Thanks.
Old 03-04-08, 10:23 PM   #42
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Does anyone know if this problem exists with the Boxed CD version.
Edit: You beat me to it MarkShot!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 10:26 PM   #43
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
Does anyone know if this problem exists with the Boxed CD version.
I believe that some files are there, but are unused.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 10:45 PM   #44
MONOLITH
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

I guess I'm behind the curve or naive, but I had never even heard of Process Explorer before this thread; so I just haven't been having any problems.

I use "end it all" to shut down all running programs before I start SH4. Then I start SH4, and I'm off sailing the oceans and blowing stuff up.

SecureRom and I have never run into each other, and I don't expect to.

That does not mean I don't sympathize with those who are having problems with it; it's just not a problem for me.
Old 03-04-08, 10:57 PM   #45
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

IDA (Interactive Disassembler Pro)
Shows me no problems.
I run it for several reasons from time to time.
Each system may react differently due to the way each user
runs thier system.
There is so much garbage out there,
it's hard to determine where or when sometheings are loaded.
If one or so persons have a problem?
Anomoly.
I run what is generally refered to as the Best of The Best Pirate type software.
Some of it is custom written.
I have no problems.
I'm not saying others don't!!!
I'm just not seeing those problems on my system.

As for the Sony issue?
My hate started years ago with thier 3.5 floppy drives!!!
Everyone I bought failed within 6 months.
And I bought several hundred at that time!
Did they correct the problem?
What do you think?