SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-08-11, 09:54 AM   #31
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

If you attach an invisible 3D model (liferaft that is 10X wider and longer) to the lifeboat you will make it more stable in water. The game engine will use the resultant bounding box for the entire object (visible and not visible) to determine physics affects (pitch and roll from waves)

Attach a Collisionable object controller to the lifeboats and you should be able to shoot them and destroy them (sink them) also.

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 05-08-11 at 10:05 AM.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 10:19 AM   #32
Budds
Bosun

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Attach a Collisionable object controller to the lifeboats and you should be able to shoot them and destroy them (sink them) also.
Would suggest caution in adding/edit of the Spec.ops boat collision effects.
IIRC it can cause problems when inserting spy missions are called for.
The Spec.Ops boat bumps into your Sub and you end up sinking it, and therefore are unable to complete those missions.

Just a Thought...............
Budds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 11:04 AM   #33
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174

Quote:
If you attach an invisible 3D model (liferaft that is 10X wider and longer) to the lifeboat you will make it more stable in water. The game engine will use the resultant bounding box for the entire object (visible and not visible) to determine physics affects (pitch and roll from waves)

If I destroy a life boat, will it spawn another one?

The first issue is beyond my skills, and I think it's good to keep this simple. If you want to try it...

Quote:
Would suggest caution in adding/edit of the Spec.ops boat collision effects.
IIRC it can cause problems when inserting spy missions are called for.
The Spec.Ops boat bumps into your Sub and you end up sinking it, and therefore are unable to complete those missions.
The Spec ops boats aren't been changed in anyway, these lifeboats are basically two completely new ships who just use Spec ops boat model.
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 08:17 AM   #34
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongel View Post
Got the lifeboat sound FX playing! It adds a nice touch, when you sail past the lifeboats and hear their cries... grim. Not sure however if it makes the game unstable if there are many lifeboats in the water, the wav-file is quite large.

And does anybody know who made the sound effect to the SH 3 Wooden lifeboats mod? Iambecomelife? I should get the permission before I can use it. Anyway I'm going to make the sound optional, so many people have so different SH.sdl-files, it's impossible to make all the compatibility versions.

So the next WIP version will have roster entries for all countries, modified floating effect by Stoainm, and hopefully optional sound effect.
If you are refering at Wooden_Lifeboats_Mod_1.1 mod wav sound .. i saw in description:

''June 12, 2010
Modified Version of LifeBoats&Debris for Sh3 V2A. By Iambecomelife.
================================================
Compatible with stock game and any big mod.
Description: Modified version of static Lifeboats & Debris mod. Contains wooden lifeboats, liferafts, crewmen clinging to debris, and improved skins by myself and DKruger. Special thanks to Rubini, Privateer, Racerboy, and the other creators of the original lifeboat mod, plus various other effects mods.''... so maybe you need to ask him who made the sound to give credits if you want to use that one

About the sh file in your place i will take the one made by stormy in the Stormys DBSM SH5 v1.3 additional crew sounds beta6 ... i will add the new entries that will be available soon in zedi mod for dolphins, iceberg, buoys and whales... and i wll add the entry from your life boats mod... than your sh file will be compatible with all sh files from subsim... so no need to make like optional
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 09:53 AM   #35
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoianm View Post
If you are refering at Wooden_Lifeboats_Mod_1.1 mod wav sound .. i saw in description:

''June 12, 2010
Modified Version of LifeBoats&Debris for Sh3 V2A. By Iambecomelife.
Compatible with stock game and any big mod.
Description: Modified version of static Lifeboats & Debris mod. Contains wooden lifeboats, liferafts, crewmen clinging to debris, and improved skins by myself and DKruger. Special thanks to Rubini, Privateer, Racerboy, and the other creators of the original lifeboat mod, plus various other effects mods.''... so maybe you need to ask him who made the sound to give credits if you want to use that one

About the sh file in your place i will take the one made by stormy in the Stormys DBSM SH5 v1.3 additional crew sounds beta6 ... i will add the new entries that will be available soon in zedi mod for dolphins, iceberg, buoys and whales... and i wll add the entry from your life boats mod... than your sh file will be compatible with all sh files from subsim... so no need to make like optional
Just got the permission, thanks again Rubini! Will add you to credits! Yes Stoainm, it sounds like a good idea to use Stormys DBSM beta6 sh.sdl file, but I might still put it in optional, because I'm not sure if it will cause something bad if there is lot of lifeboats. I haven't decided yet... But thanks for your offer! So I'll make soon the new WIP version with sound, and if it works well, I'll make REL version.
Old 05-09-11, 10:05 AM   #36
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

Will this work as stand alone? Im about to release very soon a test version of the new campaign with mines &stuff + the new ships and I try to avoid conflicting files.
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 10:08 AM   #37
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

the only problem I see (and is probably why the devs left these out) is that they are a unit (a ship to be exact) and the game engine has a hard time dealing with many units at once (your system will be brought to it's knees with too many units - saw this happen with spawned mines). So if you sink many ships in a convoy and they all spawn lifeboats your system will probably start crawling. You can see this happen in convoys that contain many units as is.
The lifeboats being a ship will not disappear. They follow the same 'rules' as the other ships in the game as far as de-spawning.
I'll dig through the exe file and see if I can't find a way to limit the number of lifeboats being spawned per ship. If we can cut this number down to say max 3-4 per ship I think we'll be ok.

@Zedi: there will be no conflicts with your campaign work
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 10:22 AM   #38
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Downloads: 366
or we use the shark, he also spawns with a little delay destroying some lifeboats by ramming them, he maybe need to be declared as an axis DD, the liveboats have to be declared allied sub`s unable to dive ?

Stormfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 01:41 PM   #39
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Quote:
the only problem I see (and is probably why the devs left these out) is that they are a unit (a ship to be exact) and the game engine has a hard time dealing with many units at once (your system will be brought to it's knees with too many units - saw this happen with spawned mines). So if you sink many ships in a convoy and they all spawn lifeboats your system will probably start crawling. You can see this happen in convoys that contain many units as is.
The lifeboats being a ship will not disappear. They follow the same 'rules' as the other ships in the game as far as de-spawning.
I'll dig through the exe file and see if I can't find a way to limit the number of lifeboats being spawned per ship. If we can cut this number down to say max 3-4 per ship I think we'll be ok.

@Zedi: there will be no conflicts with your campaign work
I think there should be no problem with the numbers of the lifeboats. What I have seen, most ships spawn 0-1 boats, larger ones 1-2. Even Large Liner spawned only two lifeboats (which is too little in my opinion). Exception seems to be Huge European Liner which spawned 10-15 lifeboats. And yes, this works as a standalone mod and shouldn't overwrite anything. I also tested the collision model with these boats, but I think it didn't work that well, boats keep ugly metal scratch noise when colliding to something, and spawn metal debris when fired upon or maybe even explode... And no one could be that sick that he/she wants to shoot a lifeboat, right ?
Old 05-09-11, 02:13 PM   #40
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
And no one could be that sick that he/she wants to shoot a lifeboat, right ?
you can never be sure of this... there are a lot of bad people outside there
Old 05-10-11, 10:02 AM   #41
Rongel
Grey Wolf

New 1.0 version update! Contains roster entries to all nations, Stoainm's floating tweaks and optional sounds. Feedback is more than welcome.
Old 05-10-11, 10:04 AM   #42
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Feedback is more than welcome.
be sure of this... tnx
Old 05-10-11, 11:17 AM   #43
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

...just tested them, looks good with that new balancing, man the sounds are great ecspecially together with this new additional sample THX guys

Old 05-11-11, 09:53 AM   #44
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfly View Post
...just tested them, looks good with that new balancing, man the sounds are great ecspecially together with this new additional sample THX guys
I'm glad you like the new sample too! So how is it working for you? No nasty side effects? Especially if there is lot of boats, have you had any freezes or crashes?

And does somebody know what these actually mean in the cfg file:

SurvivalRate=0
SurvivalPercentage=10

These are the values for my lifeboats, not very nice positive numbers. But is it somehow linked to despawning?

There is also coming a new version later, fine tuned and tweaked with help from friends...
Old 05-11-11, 12:01 PM   #45
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Quote:
I'm glad you like the new sample too! So how is it working for you? No nasty side effects? Especially if there is lot of boats, have you had any freezes or crashes?

And does somebody know what these actually mean in the cfg file:

SurvivalRate=0
SurvivalPercentage=10

These are the values for my lifeboats, not very nice positive numbers. But is it somehow linked to despawning?

There is also coming a new version later, fine tuned and tweaked with help from friends...

ohh just had a nice party with over 20 of them after a big liner went down, i decided to navigate directly in the middle of the group... sounds great, no lags or anoying things happened

Last edited by Stormfly; 05-11-11 at 03:24 PM.