SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-18-08, 05:26 PM   #31
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF
Hello, earth to reality here! There would be no reason for people to buy the expansion if they put out a 1.5 patch.
well how about the entire added u-boat content and new missions that makes up 90% of the expansion?

i must assume you didnt buy the uboat add-on or you would know that it is mostly new content with u-boats added and some game fixes. these game fixes is what i refering to as patch 1.5.

many of the game fixes are added to correct existing flaws in the game itself and not just for the newly added content. yes some of the new content caused glitches that required tweaking but overall they had a set of needed game fixes that would solve issues with the stock game. they made a decission not to allow us these fixes unless we bought the add-on in which case it was a free bonus.
Old 04-19-08, 03:24 AM   #32
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER
i must assume you didnt buy the uboat add-on or you would know that it is mostly new content with u-boats added and some game fixes. these game fixes is what i refering to as patch 1.5.

many of the game fixes are added to correct existing flaws in the game itself and not just for the newly added content. yes some of the new content caused glitches that required tweaking but overall they had a set of needed game fixes that would solve issues with the stock game. they made a decission not to allow us these fixes unless we bought the add-on in which case it was a free bonus.
First off, yes, I did buy the add-on.

Secondly, please do name for us all of these game fixes that came with 1.5. Only one I know of that has ever come to light is the fix for the missing dial textures in the Gato conning tower. While I am strongly against the idea that it's entirely up to modders to correct bugs with the game, there was a fix for this bug way before 1.5 was released.

So, do tell us, what other fixes came with 1.5 that those who have not purchased the add-on are being deprived of?

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-08, 12:41 PM   #33
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Privateer said it best.
Quote:
100% with you there Tater.
I didn't buy the 1.5 patch.
I bought the U-Boat expansion.
The 1.5 patch just came with it.
I'd poke my eyes out if we don't see a 1.5 aside from the expansion
sooner or later.
From a purely business aspect?
What I see makes perfect sense.
Heck, I'd do the same thing!!
Get a few bucks for the expansion (Patch included)
Once sales go down, release the patch.
Covers costs, increases interest in the expansion,
get better feed back on both.
Your not going anywhere.
You'll still be around for the 1.5 patch release.
And when it's free?
You'll grab it.
I said it before, I'll say it again.
(And NO! I'm not saying you Guys are putting out bad stuff!! )
Ubi should think about the
Field of Dreams thing.
If We build it?
The Modders will come!!
Thanks to all the Dev's!
You gave me a whole 4 months of things to play with.
If Ubi has no income stream it can no longer maintain the product. If you are not willing to support that, stay out of the way of those of us who understand the process. Developers need to eat. Game companies need income. Money is the only honest way to vote on what value we attach to a product. Stealing shows that you find it valueless. Expecting to be catered to for free is naive. We should be glad to pay for the support we are getting for the sim franchise we love.

The add-on was a fabulous value for $10 in the USA and for more than that in Europe. Of course patches relate only to the latest products. Let's see you download patches for Windows 98ME. You expect not to pay for Vista? This is life. You seldom get more than you pay for. SH4UBM is one of the rare examples where the value exceeds the price. My $10 was very well-spent.

Just one improvement in the Fleet Boat side was losing the "All stop" when you load a saved game. Another was much quicker game loading as a result of rewritten game architecture that no amount of modding could achieve.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 01:27 PM   #34
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

i especially like the way they sell you a u-boat expansion but it contains no missions for you to play, has numerous bugs and glitches, and as a result of the changes they made, it makes the game no longer compatable with most game mods used for 1.4 yet i see no overall improvement in the game beyond some new content. if the whole purpose was just to add some fantasy german campaign then thats fine but you would hope they could have done that while still making it compatable with 1.4 so other mods would still work. i am all for improving things but if the change will cause more problems than you solve, whats the point?

to be honest i think ubi missed a great chance to repackage sh3 with the great new graffics of sh4 by simply using sh4 environmental graffics files to bring sh3 on par with sh4 visually and calling it sh5 and combining all the improvements done by modders to start with a finished bug free game from the start.

i own sh3 but i would definately buy a new version if it had all the newest graffics and effects along with the bugs ironed out in advance. hell its still not too late, so ubi if your listening, put together a 1.5 for sh3 like i described and you can count on my $$$
Old 05-12-08, 02:02 PM   #35
akdavis
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
i especially like the way they sell you a u-boat expansion but it contains no missions for you to play, has numerous bugs and glitches, and as a result of the changes they made, it makes the game no longer compatable with most game mods used for 1.4 yet i see no overall improvement in the game beyond some new content. if the whole purpose was just to add some fantasy german campaign then thats fine but you would hope they could have done that while still making it compatable with 1.4 so other mods would still work. i am all for improving things but if the change will cause more problems than you solve, whats the point?
1.5 is the current version of the game and it contains more than just content, as has been explained above.
Old 05-12-08, 02:20 PM   #36
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdavis
1.5 is the current version of the game and it contains more than just content, as has been explained above.
i understand the point you wish to make but i wish to point out that according to ubisoft 1.5 is not the current version of the game, according to ubisoft the latest patched version of the sh4 game is 1.4 but you can buy an additional u-boat mission pack that converts the game to 1.5 and will add additional content along with game enhancements.

this is from ubisoft website:

Experience the thrill of the hunt! Prowl the waters as the captain of a German submarine in a never-before-seen theatre of operations – the Indian Ocean. Take part in the war against British supply lines off the coast of North Africa and support the Japanese war against the U.S. Navy.
Developed by Ubisoft Romania, Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific U-Boat Missions is an add-on that extends the gameplay experience by focusing on the historically accurate but largely unknown German U-boat campaign in the Indian Ocean during World War II.

Key Features:
  • German Campaign in the Indian Ocean: The new campaign spans from July 1943 until the end of the war for Germany in May 1945. Operate from such far-off Japanese naval bases as Penang, Singapore, Jakarta and Surabaya.
  • Strategic Warfare: Rise in rank and experience, gaining access to new strategic resources, such as recon aircrafts that track down enemy shipping, and battle groups that can help wipe out superior enemy forces.
  • New Playable Submarines: Take to the seas in new German submarines, including the long-range Type IX-D2 U-boat and the revolutionary Walther propulsion type XVIII U-boat. Learn the strengths and weaknesses of these boats and how you can overcome even elite, late-war allied destroyers with high-speed hit-and-run attacks.
  • Heroes: Based on actual historical figures, these new crew members add a number of special abilities that can change the fate of battles and save the ship when the time is right, as well as adding historical color to the game.
  • Better Accessibility: New and improved features such as intelligence information, navigation maps and upgrade systems ensure that U-Boat Missions will give players the expansion they’ve been waiting for.

Last edited by Webster; 05-12-08 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-12-08, 02:27 PM   #37
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

It's pretty annoying with the amount of people who are whining over an expansion that only costs a few bucks. Besides that the 1.5 patch is so the expansion can work with the game. It doesn't address any issues that may be with v1.4, period. If the game needed to be fixed, they would be making the patch available for free. It's not good business to charge people for your own screwups.
Snaptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 02:39 PM   #38
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I have to come down with Privateer and Haplo. This is an update, worthy of a new version number. Patches change the version number. New versions, like SH4UBM do too. There's no conflict there, just confusion! I'm happy I spent my $10 even though my frame rates are a bit squirrely now. I keep finding more and better ways to die in the Bay of Biscay!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 02:47 PM   #39
akdavis
Samurai Navy

Quote:
and as a result of the changes they made, it makes the game no longer compatable with most game mods used for 1.4 yet i see no overall improvement in the game beyond some new content.
Here is the real crux. You complain that because of the worthless and problematic 1.5 version, you can't use mods with 1.4, but if 1.5 were that worthless and problematic, why would anyone make mods for 1.5?

The problem here is that many have become so terribly spoiled by the quality and content of community mods, that anything other than free is going to raise an outcry of "cheats!" and "bloodsuckers!" If the add-on were priced at $1.00, or even .50 cents, the complaints would be exactly the same. Value is not the issue.

If a real world dollar value were to be placed on many of the mods we get for free, it would probably greatly exceed the pocket change cost of 1.5. Just because we get such incredible value for free does not mean it is a good business model.
Old 05-12-08, 03:15 PM   #40
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Here is the real crux. You complain that because of the worthless and problematic 1.5 version, you can't use mods with 1.4, but if 1.5 were that worthless and problematic, why would anyone make mods for 1.5?

The problem here is that many have become so terribly spoiled by the quality and content of community mods, that anything other than free is going to raise an outcry of "cheats!" and "bloodsuckers!" If the add-on were priced at $1.00, or even .50 cents, the complaints would be exactly the same. Value is not the issue.

If a real world dollar value were to be placed on many of the mods we get for free, it would probably greatly exceed the pocket change cost of 1.5. Just because we get such incredible value for free does not mean it is a good business model.
That's because many people don't understand that we don't make a living from creating these programs/mods, they do. It's their job. The company has to charge for a product so these workers can get paid. What if McDonalds or Burger King decided to give away free food? They wouldn't make any money and many of these fricking kids wouldn't get paid. Heck, with all the complaining about the U-Boat Expansion, I should complain that the happy meal is too expensive and that the bloodsucking workers should take a pay cut so I don't have to pay so much for something I feel should be free.
Snaptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 04:16 PM   #41
Monica Lewinsky
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaptrap
I should complain that the happy meal is too expensive and that the bloodsucking workers should take a pay cut so I don't have to pay so much for something I feel should be free.
No compliants here. Broke down this past Sunday, yesterday, got version 1.5 @ $9.95.

BEST ten bucks I ever spent in the last year - It's real nice. I have ZERO interest in the U-Boat stuff - NONE - the rest of it is GREAT! Have loved what $10 got me for hundreds of hours of future enjoyment.

So if you want it for free, dream-on living in the past.

It's a high quality upgrade and DIRT cheap.

Sink them all!
Monica Lewinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 05:27 PM   #42
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Quote:
and as a result of the changes they made, it makes the game no longer compatable with most game mods used for 1.4 yet i see no overall improvement in the game beyond some new content.

close but not quite,

first, the mods - what is happening is that most mods are now being made for 1.5 because it changes the game so much that most mods will not work for both 1.4 or 1.5 but instead must be created in a seperate version to work in one or the other. this will result in us being "forced" to buy 1.5 to use the new mods and the community will see a drastic reduction in any mods available for 1.4.

next point - "If the add-on were priced at $1.00, or even .50 cents, the complaints would be exactly the same. Value is not the issue." - i agree with this.

last point - i stated in an earlier post that the misunderstanding about the "patch" vs an expansion only, was cleared up and that my main "gripe" was the misrepresentation by ubi that there was a 1.5 "patch" and that it would be released soon after the ubm came out, it never happened and IMO it never will because it takes too much work.
Old 05-12-08, 06:18 PM   #43
Monica Lewinsky
Grey Wolf

Quote:
If the add-on were priced at $1.00, or even .50 cents, the complaints would be exactly the same. Value is not the issue.
You are so dead on right. People think the update/patch/add-on is the FINAL fix to all the prior problems - not gonna happen.

Got 1.5, found real TINY annoyances here and there, but I feel I got my money's worth and more and feel no need to complain.

These gripper's are annoying, egh?

Sink them all!
Old 05-12-08, 06:21 PM   #44
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

in order to understand the context in which this thread was originally created, please read below:

you must understand that at the time i posted this thread ubisoft was saying that there was a stand alone patch 1.5 that was built into the new u-boat missions expansion pack and it would be released soon as a stand alone patch but then they started acting like it never existed to begin with.

this thread was to protest about ubisoft not wanting to offer the patch for free download as long as they were making money selling it as part of the u-boat expansion. (thats just smart buisness sense)

my intention is not to imply you shouldnt buy the u-boat expansion but rather i just wanted everyone to hold off on purchasing it in protest just untill ubisoft relented and released the stand alone patch version. (this was a misunderstanding on my part about what UBM was all about)

as time has gone by it has become much missunderstood what my intentions were in making this thread so hopefully this helps to clarify my opinion.
Old 05-12-08, 09:33 PM   #45
Monica Lewinsky
Grey Wolf

Quote:
as time has gone by it has become much missunderstood what my intentions were in making this thread so hopefully this helps to clarify my opinion.
We HEAR you. At least I understand your intensions. Hang in there, then we will really beat the crap out of you, thrice over ... and then some ... and put you in an iron coffin with spikes on the inside and roll it down the hill with you in it, twice, to make sure you are dead.

You hang in there, man, complain! I enjoy your posts. I enjoy reading your negative points of view. You hang in there and GO!

Sink them all!

Last edited by Monica Lewinsky; 05-12-08 at 09:47 PM.