SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-24-16, 01:21 PM   #361
VonDos
Admiral

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 48

I'll save grog rations as soon as possible =) while waiting, an "up to date" general pic, with all progress put togheter in the same unit in musem (as you can see, this is wath you can found choosing different years..).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Yes and no, in theory wood veins and the edges between adjoining planks should be barely visible under the paint coating. As you got it now, it looks like the guys at the RN shipyard had run out of paint and had to thin it down with their precious grog ration

In my opinion the base texture you are using looks a bit too disomogeneous, and too low-res. A quick search on the web gave me many alternatives that are probably better suited

P.S: the new stern island looks
A question for everyone: do someone know rigging configuration between masts in ww2? There was something, 3, 4 cables, antennas or nothing?

edit: Civil \ Military flag added..

Those, others and WIP ships are avaiable in my SHIPYARD here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136508

Last edited by VonDos; 12-24-16 at 02:45 PM.
VonDos is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-16, 03:04 PM   #362
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDos View Post
Amazing work!

I see that the AMC version flies the White Ensign now. Did you use the workaround I had suggested a while back, or how else did you manage doing that?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-16, 05:54 PM   #363
radiator
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Excellent work!
radiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-16, 04:07 PM   #364
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17

Hello,

the masts carried the radio antennas. These are the 6 to 8 cables usually running from the top yardarm of the fore mast to top yardarm of the main mast (= aft mast in this case).

The changing of the flag is nice. Just a comment on the placement of the flag -- the flag is at the aft flagpole only when in (or entering/leaving) harbour; at sea, it is at main mast. That's why the main mast usually has a longitudinal yardarm.

Cheers
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-16, 05:38 PM   #365
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Very good work ! Are the textures changed with SH3 Commander ?

A small thing : the walls under the red funnels are very white compared to the hull, could it be corrected perhaps ?
Old 12-26-16, 08:21 PM   #366
VonDos
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Amazing work!

I see that the AMC version flies the White Ensign now. Did you use the workaround I had suggested a while back, or how else did you manage doing that?
Three solution has been tested for obtain this.
Finally i choose different library object for different years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiator View Post
Excellent work!
Thanks a lot!! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
Hello,

the masts carried the radio antennas. These are the 6 to 8 cables usually running from the top yardarm of the fore mast to top yardarm of the main mast (= aft mast in this case).

The changing of the flag is nice. Just a comment on the placement of the flag -- the flag is at the aft flagpole only when in (or entering/leaving) harbour; at sea, it is at main mast. That's why the main mast usually has a longitudinal yardarm.

Cheers
Huge thanks mate! I'll create different nodes for different main masts in different dates ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Very good work ! Are the textures changed with SH3 Commander ?

A small thing : the walls under the red funnels are very white compared to the hull, could it be corrected perhaps ?
Thanks! No, textures and model details are changed using library objects and eqp file.
White walls are so white just in museum, btw lights problems will be correct soon.

Best regards, Vd

Old 12-27-16, 05:52 AM   #367
the_frog
Commander

Hello,

the light issues result from 3D objects either not edge splitted or imported with vertex normals. I case of imported vertex normals just re-import the 3D object and un-tick the vertex normals in the import dialogue.

Cheers
Old 12-27-16, 08:07 AM   #368
VonDos
Admiral

@the_frog Thanks a lot!!

Here's an up-to-date pic with nw flags position, cables\antennas and a timeline of unit during war's years:

1) Neutral unit: civil livery, lightened windows and red\green signals, unarmed, red civil insigna. PRE WAR

2) Darkened unit: unlightened windows and signals, unarmed, again red insigna. FIRST MONTHS OF WAR

3) Converted AMC: grey livery, unlightened, heavy armed, different model with 2 funnels only, scout plane, island, added small command deck, different masts and pipes... white military insigna. FROM 1940

Old 12-27-16, 08:41 AM   #369
the_frog
Commander

Hello,

this is going to become a model undergoing nice changes over time

The radio cables have even their connections to the transmitter

The flag is now on a mast. However, the main mast (in case of a two-mast ship the aft/rear mast !!) carries the flag not the foremast (whatever the size). Have look a the main mast of the civil version -- it has a small longitudinal yardarm pointing aft and a bit up. This yardarm is no crane. It has just one purpose -- it carries the cable the flag is attachted to.

To give you an idea what I mean:

Pictures of the Queen of Bermuda, showing the flag in position:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/staticarchive/5...c7a6535da3.jpg

Cheers
Old 12-27-16, 01:20 PM   #370
VonDos
Admiral

@the_frog
Hello!
Something like this maybe?

Old 12-27-16, 02:38 PM   #371
the_frog
Commander

Perfetto !!
Old 12-28-16, 01:52 PM   #372
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
the light issues result from 3D objects either not edge splitted...
A quick addition to the tip by the_frog: Silent3ditor spits automatically edges which are contiguous in the 3D mesh, but separated in the UV map (if you don't believe it, just import/export a model to/from S3d and reload it in your 3D editing program), so you don't need to modify your model's geometry directly, i.e. edges which are split in the UV map act anyway as "hard edges"

Quote:
...or imported with vertex normals. I case of imported vertex normals just re-import the 3D object and un-tick the vertex normals in the import dialogue.
...and a question for the_frog: do you mean that unticking "import vertex normals" is always a good measure, or it should only be done in case of weird lighting issues?
Old 01-01-17, 07:56 AM   #373
the_frog
Commander

Hello gap,

I case the S3ditor would split faces separated in the UV map, many parts are contiguous (e.g., superstructures of most ship models) and so no splitting would take place.
I did a quick try -- my ship models have deck and hull often on different maps, so the UV mapping is rather different. Importing the model without edge splitting, followed by export, relaoding into the 3d editing programme, separating the model part -- result: decks not splitted from the hull, still attached to ...

No, unticking "import vertex normals" is not always recommendable. There are original models using vertex models. However, the SH3 graphic engine seems to work better without vertex normals. SH4 is different, I makes use of vertex normals (if well done). The S3ditor is also set up to edit Silent Hunter 4.

Cheers
Old 01-04-17, 03:18 PM   #374
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hello gap,

I case the S3ditor would split faces separated in the UV map, many parts are contiguous (e.g., superstructures of most ship models) and so no splitting would take place.
I did a quick try -- my ship models have deck and hull often on different maps, so the UV mapping is rather different. Importing the model without edge splitting, followed by export, relaoding into the 3d editing programme, separating the model part -- result: decks not splitted from the hull, still attached to ...
My bad.

I know for a fact that GR2 Editor splits edges that are non-contiguous in the UV map.
I discovered it the hard way, when trying to import a model with a secondary UV map (AO channel), and it got corrupted because the two UV maps had different edge splitting* (see note below). I don't know if this was just an extra feature by TDW, or it is imposed by the GR2 format. For some reason I thought I had encountered evidences that the same applied to the S3ditor/dat format, but I probably made confusion between the two editors/formats

* As you know, the number/coordinates of 3D vertices for the two UV channels must be identical, so GR2 Editor tries joining the edges wich are split in the main UV projection but not in the secondary one, and vice-versa, otherwise, for the reason I explained before, the two meshes would have a different number of vertices/edges)

Quote:
No, unticking "import vertex normals" is not always recommendable. There are original models using vertex models. However, the SH3 graphic engine seems to work better without vertex normals. SH4 is different, I makes use of vertex normals (if well done). The S3ditor is also set up to edit Silent Hunter 4.
Roger that, thank you for the clarification
Old 01-05-17, 01:26 AM   #375
VonDos
Admiral

While finishing new dark-wood texture, let's have fun wit a different sil file, where you can choose between liner and cruiser:

Best regards,
Vd

Tags
kriegs marine, ocean liners, regia marina, royal hellenic navy, warships