SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-18, 10:08 AM   #16
Red_88
Sailor man

Downloads: 250
Uploads: 6

Sorry if somebody else already posted it, but look what I found in the subsim download section: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5081
It is already a year there, and yesterday I just noticed it. What is the story on that? Honestly I am surprised finding abondonware here.
Red_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-18, 01:13 PM   #17
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_88 View Post
Sorry if somebody else already posted it, but look what I found in the subsim download section: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5081
It is already a year there, and yesterday I just noticed it. What is the story on that? Honestly I am surprised finding abondonware here.
Thank you for bumping this topic or I would never have seen it.

Thank you Onkel Neal for going through the gymnastics to acquire & host this easy to install, compatible version of this game.

Happy Hunting!
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-18, 09:39 PM   #18
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_88 View Post

I don't blame you, 15 years ago abandonware was not allowed here. But as the years roll by, that has changed...some of the games are older than many members.

Quote:
Abandonware: games that are 8~10+ years old and are no longer available for sale commercially by the IP owner will be exempted on a case by case basis. An inquiry may be made about the status of a particular game in the Classic Subsims forum. Subsim will make a good faith effort to clear the use of the game with the last known copyright holders. If we were to receive an objection or legal challenge, we would reverse our position is regards to the game in question.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/faq....ules2_faq_item

Discussion thread
Old 03-22-18, 12:28 PM   #19
Red_88
Sailor man

Thanks Onkel Neal for clarification. It is great to find these old gems here.
Old 03-29-18, 10:01 AM   #20
akosela
Nub

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

This is IMHO the best modern submarine game EVER. Even better than DW. In real life you would not be able to see your submarine "in 3d". Sailors inside submarines are essentially blind -- they can only rely on sensors like sonar, etc., to know what is going on around them.

But do yourself a favor and don't play this simulator on modern PC with LCD monitor with high resolution. You need to have an old CRT monitor (like on real 80's submarine) and real DOS to have a correct resolution. Then it's a thing of beauty just to watch sonar... looks exactly just like in "Hunt for Red October" movie on USS Dallas.

By the way, do you know of any other mods besides those found here?

Last edited by akosela; 03-29-18 at 07:17 PM.
akosela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 12:31 AM   #21
Red_88
Sailor man

Well it depends. Surely Fast Attack is better than stock 688i, Sub Command or DW. Fast Attack has the better campaigns and the interface and sounds are more immersive.

However it also lacks at some points. The Sonar station is not as good as in DW lacking Narrowband and Demon display. Also in Fast Attack when deployed towed array the contacts are displayed in the same display as the Bow Sonar the contacts will only get clearer but no mirror contacts for TA and no possibility to switch between Bow Sonar and Towed Array. Also Fire Control settings are always set automatically.
No choice to set torpedo in active or passive mode. Also there are no mobile mines mk67 and no special forces in Fast Attack.

Compared to DW with Reinforce Alert the AI is not aggressive enough. RA also excels in Fire Control many choices of weapons and decoys and many settings for weapons.

Still Fast Attack is a Blast from the Past and I still like it very much. To put it short Fast Attack is more a TMA and tactics simulator while DWX excels on Sonar and Fire Control.

P.S. The Mods for Fast Attack on subsim are AFAIK the only ones.

Last edited by Red_88; 04-11-18 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-15-18, 12:02 AM   #22
akosela
Nub

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Anyone got "Fast Attack Strategy Guide" book written by Ed Dille? Even Amazon doesn't know too much about it...

https://www.amazon.com/Fast-Attack-O...cm_wl_huc_item
akosela is offline   Reply With Quote