SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-22-17, 12:59 AM   #16
Wise
Engineer

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Dear colleague!
I will dare to object you.
In SH3, under one diffuse-texture, really, use only of one AO-map. But this map not at all doesn't contradict use of a set of camouflages.

It is your J-class. All screens are made of one loading. I changed nothing but only AO-map has added. As you can see, AO-map presence doesn't influence random and multiple use of camouflages.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 02:53 PM   #17
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17

Hello Wise,

I just noticed that what I wrote is probably easy to misunderstand ... sorry for that.

I know that the single AO map can go also with multiple textues. I have a copy of your re-work of the J class .

What I meant: I can prepare an AO that includes one camouflage scheme, with the shaddow effects fitting the colours. Or I use one AO with mutiple textures as you did. That latter results in a slight overall darkening. The effect is little visible with dark colour schemes under overcast sky. Light colours, especially in bright sunshine, appear more dark, which I do like much. I prefer white to be white and very light grey to be very light grey.

Or in other words, I do not like the dark and gloomy appearance of models having AO maps in SH3. I usually remove all AO maps. I even did with your M04B and MX04B freighters
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 06:15 PM   #18
Wise
Engineer

Downloads: 5

ah, now I understand you.)
Yes, blackout of the AO-map probably insignificant shortcoming. But.. For example, in night-time this nuance, seems to me, has advantage when the ship in the dark of night becomes more imperceptible, as in reality.
Maybe, it would be possible to try to make the AO-map in the Photoshop is slightly lighter, than an automatic render of ambient occlusion. Thereby, white colors won't lose brightness and, at the same time, there will be a some semblance of shadows.
Nevertheless, your ships are fine in any kind. and, undoubtedly, play a huge role in SH improvement.
You have now no right to stop work on new projects. Remember that.
My great respect.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-17, 01:31 PM   #19
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Also , the environment sunlight-sunreflect-ambient colors values are effecting the final look of the ship's colors.For that reason ,at MEP v6, i have setted the sunlight-sunreflect-ambient colors values (during daytime) to zero saturation in order the ship to be appearing with its original colors.

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-17, 03:27 PM   #20
the_frog
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
ah, now I understand you.)
Yes, blackout of the AO-map probably insignificant shortcoming. But.. For example, in night-time this nuance, seems to me, has advantage when the ship in the dark of night becomes more imperceptible, as in reality.
Right, darker appearance might help toning down SH3's unrelalistic night visibilty.

Quote:
Maybe, it would be possible to try to make the AO-map in the Photoshop is slightly lighter, than an automatic render of ambient occlusion. Thereby, white colors won't lose brightness and, at the same time, there will be a some semblance of shadows.
I did some experiments. And unfortunately your assumptions are perfectly right. Fading the AO maps to an extent that they do not affect the original colours anymore results in almost complete loss of shadow effects. I keep on trying; probably I can find some compromise solution

Quote:
You have now no right to stop work on new projects. Remember that.
Thanks. Same goes to you !!!
Old 11-23-17, 03:34 PM   #21
the_frog
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
Also , the environment sunlight-sunreflect-ambient colors values are effecting the final look of the ship's colors.For that reason ,at MEP v6, i have setted the sunlight-sunreflect-ambient colors values (during daytime) to zero saturation in order the ship to be appearing with its original colors.
That's true ... the colours as they appear in the museum picture of HMS Euraylus/Cleopatra are close to the original. With other settings, however, the colours may appear different. Settings of most environments tend to cause greenish tones on sunlight-reflecting surfaces.
Old 12-02-17, 08:59 AM   #22
rowi58
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 56

Hello the_frog,

would you be so kind as to check your PM-InBox. You got a message from me.

Y.s.
rowi58
Old 12-02-17, 02:54 PM   #23
the_frog
Commander

Hello Rowi58,

I answered
Old 12-02-17, 03:46 PM   #24
rowi58