SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-16-18, 09:25 AM   #676
ArnoldR
Medic

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Is this thing dead??? I can't see any download link???.....
ArnoldR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-18, 09:53 AM   #677
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnoldR View Post
Is this thing dead??? I can't see any download link???.....

WIP
http://kendras-sh3-modding.forumactif.com/
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-18, 07:47 AM   #678
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 266

Hello Kendras, i wasn't there long time and now i found this mod. I don't know in what state your work is, but if it can help you, you can use my old data for lighthouses. This data are taken from real positions of real lighthouses from whole world. After that i reduced number of lighthouses for some smaller amount (so for example i completely removed lighthouses from west coast of America, because are irelevant for atlantic war...) and fix some positions to corespond to SH map.
Here is my table: http://www.ucw.cz/~jerome/reduced.html

You can see there real coordinates and coordinates counted to SH too.
But be careful, at the bottom of table are aded coordinates of buoys and lightboats from GWX too. They are marked in row groups as GWX_SCR.
JeromeHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-18, 08:08 AM   #679
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Ah yes, and there is Bell Rock lighthouse too. If i good remember, so in SH map there is deep wather in position of Bell Rock lighthouse and i didn't know how to modify terrain. So only think i was able to do was, that i add this lighthouse to game and put it some 2 meters under sea level, so it was not floating in the air, when there was big waves, but in fact you was able dive under that lighthouse. I was not reading this whole thread, so i don't know if you can manage this, so get it just like a note from my memory, which is full of holes like an swiss cheese. :-)
(But i wanted to have this lighthouse in game, because this lighthouse is real legend...)
Old 11-20-18, 12:45 PM   #680
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

I found my old questions and some notes about lighthouses to perfectly fit to terrain. It is in this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=206346&page=2

And some note about lighthouse table: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=172

There is written, that SH coordinates are modified to fit SH map, and real coordinates are real coordinates of real lighthouses. But remember, that when i'm talking about SH3 world, i mean GWX map (there are some modifications - Kiel canal for example, which in vanila SH3 are not... )
Old 12-30-18, 06:43 AM   #681
Seaowl
Sailor man

Downloads: 60

A few days ago I stumbled upon a great website concerning lighthouses and sea marks at the north- and balticsea coasts.
Check for example the information about Kiel and Heligoland.
Hoping that this cool project is still alive and since I know no better place, I will post the link here: www.baken-net.de
Seaowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-18, 10:54 AM   #682
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
@ Kendras

I have noticed that Hitman had created a 20-km environment mod, but unfortunately the link is down
I know, that im answering about a year old post, but im reading this thread from first post...
If you want 20 km environment, install M.E.P. 6 (im not sure, but i think it was in v. 4.2 and later)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=229333&page=4

Last edited by JeromeHeretic; 12-30-18 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-30-18, 12:24 PM   #683
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Hi guys, sorry for the late replies,

unfortunately Kendras can't answer any longer on this thread since, apparently, an infraction by him was sanctioned with what now seems a permanent ban from subsim. You can get in touch with him on his personal forum:

http://kendras-sh3-modding.forumactif.com/

Since our last update here, we have made little progress with this mod: the Ile-de-Sein was added to the SHIII world (though I think Kendras wasn't too happy with its last layout), new lighthouse icons have been created, and together with several unfinished lighthouse models, I have worked on a port light model that I sent to Kendras for him to add it to the French ports. After that, there was a long stand-by caused by real life engagements.

As some of you already know, I have now started a new project for SH5 which deals mostly with therrain/tree textures, but among its features there are also terrain shape improvements, more realistic ports, and the modelling of natural and human-made landmarks, including daymarks and lighthouses. I am in constant touch with Kendras, and be sure that whatever I do will be passed on to Kendras for porting to SHIII

@ Seaowl:

Glad to read your comments on this thread too!

@ JeromeHeretic:

Thank you for your information mate. I will save it for future reference. In the meanwhile you might find interesting the following website gathering information on lighthouses worldwide:

https://www.ibiblio.org/lighthouse/

gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-18, 05:22 PM   #684
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Registration to forum doesn't work to me. E-mail with code never come...

BTW: Also exist 20km unfficial patch for GWX: ftp://Maik:Woelfe@hartmuthaas.no-ip....phere_Unood.7z

Try it too... Im not sure now, but i have strong feeling, that in one, or in second environment is not changed values for visibility in binoculars and so (it's in zones.cfg i think.. not sure when i try remember now).
So... in case of some problems you can diff this files and get correct one, or just change needed values.

And THX for that link, but i already know it. :-) I have ready list with about 2000 lighthouses (but still there are bugs, i know it and slowly repairing) and written scripts for automatic generating of LND.mis, locations.cfg, SCR.mis. (because script recognition lightouses and lightboats)
I'm only waiting if you both will finish some more lighthouses, so i can generate world with different lighthouses on different places. Now i'm using just one lighthouse and GWX lightboats.

When we are talking about this, i have few ideas, but i don't know how to do it. Sure it is possible, but maybe it is needed for every mutation add new dat file to game, so only some reduced amount of variations is possible to add to game.
But if it is possible, i think it will be enough even in this reduced form.

I was looking to previously posted page: http://www.sailingissues.com/navcourse9.html and i got idea, that i like to have:

- Lighthouse with red light (as a marker to port side of route into the ports)
- I think, that "common" lighthouse used in game can be lighthouse which i have, with normal, long blinking white light.
But on the long coastal lines, where are a lot of lighthouses in some distances i want sometimes some specific lighthouse, from
which i can recognize where exactly i am. I know it already from transatlantic travels, that error of my position after transatlantic route is so big, that even if i find a lighthouse on horizont, im never sure which one it is...
So... idea is have few "morse" blinking lighthouses. I think that 4 "bit" table must be enough for everyone.
So when we look into morse code table, there are this possibilities for lighthouses:
B -...

C -.-.

F ..-.

H ....

L .---

Q --.-

V ...-

X -..-

Y -.--

Z --..
With lighthouse which i already have (lets call him "slow blinker") and when can be speed of blinking changed to quick, we have table of 12 unique lights (+ red one)!

So when i get the markings from that page, we can have FL, Q, MoB, MoC, MoF, MoH, MoL, MoQ, MoV, MoX, MoY, MoZ and Iso R.
Now question for you is, if it is possible? (Im sure just only about changing color of light, even if i don't know how to do it.)

EDIT:
Ah yes, i almost forget. In GWX are tugboats near lightboats. This is not looking much realistic, but it is great idea, because when you go on high TC and watch crew see a ship, TC falls to 1, so you know that you are near that lightboat!
Would be nice, if can be implemented, that watch crew reactions on lighthouse is the same as for ship. (Daesn't matter if crew say "ship spotted", it's not important that lighthouse is not a boat, is important, that i know about it and that TC falls to 1)
Is this possible? (Im afraid not... because it is "land unit", but better ask, than be silent and lost this functionality if it is possible)

Last edited by JeromeHeretic; 12-31-18 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-31-18, 03:26 AM   #685
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Yeah I put the tugs near lightships as they are not noticed by crew so saving you collision.

You could make a lighthouse model and class it whatever you like. The icebergs get spotted as a ship so you don't hit them. Not ideal but otherwise at high tc you run the risk of collision

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 01:09 PM   #686
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeHeretic View Post
- Lighthouse with red light (as a marker to port side of route into the ports)
- I think, that "common" lighthouse used in game can be lighthouse which i have, with normal, long blinking white light.
But on the long coastal lines, where are a lot of lighthouses in some distances i want sometimes some specific lighthouse, from
which i can recognize where exactly i am. I know it already from transatlantic travels, that error of my position after transatlantic route is so big, that even if i find a lighthouse on horizont, im never sure which one it is...
So... idea is have few "morse" blinking lighthouses. I think that 4 "bit" table must be enough for everyone.
So when we look into morse code table, there are this possibilities for lighthouses:
B -...

C -.-.

F ..-.

H ....

L .---

Q --.-

V ...-

X -..-

Y -.--

Z --..
With lighthouse which i already have (lets call him "slow blinker") and when can be speed of blinking changed to quick, we have table of 12 unique lights (+ red one)!

So when i get the markings from that page, we can have FL, Q, MoB, MoC, MoF, MoH, MoL, MoQ, MoV, MoX, MoY, MoZ and Iso R.
Now question for you is, if it is possible? (Im sure just only about changing color of light, even if i don't know how to do it.)
You'd need to play with the particles settings on the light houses to try to get the morse code thing.
Each Light house can be done separately so it should be possible.
I'd suggest leaving the rotating white light alone and adding your morse code blinker as a separate light with no rotation.
On top of the Light House perhaps as a red blinking light?

Or maybe a small light near the base to simulate someone on shore sending you a signal?
Danged spies!

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 01-01-19 at 01:31 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 02:52 PM   #687
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
You'd need to play with the particles settings on the light houses to try to get the morse code thing.

Blah... i don't know this stuff. Im glad, that now i realise reverse direction in animation... that's why i was asking for it and not to do it by myself.
But THX for info... now i know it's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Or maybe a small light near the base to simulate someone on shore sending you a signal?
Danged spies!

I mean not as small light, but as main light of lighthouse. It is common, that lighthouses are blinking this codes.
Old 01-01-19, 02:56 PM   #688
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I have a separate light house saved from the Game.
IF I get time amongst all the other stuff I'll play with it and see what I can do. Could come in handy added to other projects I have.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 07:38 PM   #689
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
And THX for that link, but i already know it. :-)

Glad that you know it already. Very few lighthouse are not listed in the Lighthouse Directory, and it also provides general information and pictures of the active lights, as well as verbal and pictorial reference (when possible) of currently inactive or no longer existing lighthouses.

Quote:
When we are talking about this, i have few ideas, but i don't know how to do it. [...]
have few "morse" blinking lighthouses. I think that 4 "bit" table must be enough for everyone.

Is this possible? (Im afraid not... because it is "land unit", but better ask, than be silent and lost this functionality if it is possible)
Yes, it is possible. As said by Jeff, by playing with light particle settings we can mimic even complex flashing schemes. Kendras is a master on this subject, but with some time and the help of a calculator, I can also handle this type of effects. The one lights that we couldn't find a way to reproduce so far, are sector lights: i.e. light beams that can only be seen when looking at them from some angles...

Terrain objects are not configurable, but if lighthouse models are set as land units rather than terrain objects, and if different light halos are stored in a library file, we can then link each lighthouse to any tipe of light effect (or even multiple effects) by use of equipment nodes. There are several advantages in this type of approach:

- Just like air and sea units, land units are handled by the AI; they can see and be seen by other units, attacked, and destroyed.

- they can be made to appear or disappear from the game based on date, simulating the destruction of some of them during the war.

- their lights, set as any other equipment, can be configured by date, simulating the change in usage (or the darkening) of some lights during the war.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 08:31 AM   #690
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post

The one lights that we couldn't find a way to reproduce so far, are sector lights: i.e. light beams that can only be seen when looking at them from some angles...

Can't be way block light emission by some invisible barriers? Lets say, that you create two barriers in L and in the corner of this L you add light.
(But i think this is not so important. We can live without it.)