SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-19, 08:10 AM   #46
Nordmann
Commodore

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub187 View Post
Come on, with the SH games Ubisoft delivered a series of buggy, unfinished products that were DRM'ed to death. The backlash was, and still is, completely justified. I know the current standard is to accept any and all half-finished shovelware publishers throw at the public, under the calling "support the devs, it's better than nothing!", but with that attitude the situation will never change and consumers will be kept being put over a barrel.

Ubisoft should've known that a mediocre effort leads to mediocre sales.
So instead we get nothing instead of something, in a niche where virtually nothing is the norm. Yes, such an improvement!
Old 05-09-19, 08:16 AM   #47
Sub187
Watch

Downloads: 10

I'd rather play an old working game, than a new broken game any day. In my leisure time, I like to keep frustrations to a minimum and just want to enjoy myself. And looking at the Steam scores, i'm not alone in that.
Sub187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-19, 08:23 AM   #48
Nordmann
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub187 View Post
I'd rather play an old working game, than a new broken game any day. In my leisure time, I like to keep frustrations to a minimum and just want to enjoy myself. And looking at the Steam scores, i'm not alone in that.
Working for now. Also, consider this, no new games means new players are unlikely to join the community, which in turn results in stagnation. Last time I checked, stagnation tends to result in the eventual demise of group, organisation, company etc.
Old 05-09-19, 04:02 PM   #49
Taboo
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 31

Keeping the company financially stable so that they can stomp these bugs and start adding new content is why I bought it, not everyday you see a sub game like this. I've dealt with constant crashing but its still a joy to listen to the radio as I ogle at the interior. Very early access but its a fresh look at the genre.
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-19, 10:26 AM   #50
Jonesy
Sailor man

Downloads: 27

I decided to give it a change and bought it, but my first impressions by watching on youtube were right, this is just not for me, just asked steam for my money back.
Old 05-11-19, 01:08 PM   #51
Hjalfnar
Torpedoman

Downloads: 33

For me it is exactly what I wanted. Besides, the stats are speaking a clear language.

Wolfpack:
Below 20k sales, 19(!) viewers on Twitch on 4 channels, 14.000 followers on Steam, peak players yesterday below 200

UBOAT:
Below 100k sales, 1700 viewers on Twitch on 23 channels, 68,000 followers on Steam, peak players yesterday 2000

Overall a stunning success for UBOAT that might finally revive the dying subsim genre.
Hjalfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-19, 01:45 AM   #52
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 2

Well, erm, by "subsim genre" I suppose you all mean "WW2 subsim genre".
To me Cold Waters was certainly a beautiful beast that gave our beloved genre a good bowl of fresh air 2 years algo already (even if that air came directly from the 90s - but another proof that Microprose in its market segment was right all along ^^ )
Amiral Crapaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-19, 07:14 AM   #53
Nordmann
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain-James View Post
Well, erm, by "subsim genre" I suppose you all mean "WW2 subsim genre".
To me Cold Waters was certainly a beautiful beast that gave our beloved genre a good bowl of fresh air 2 years algo already (even if that air came directly from the 90s - but another proof that Microprose in its market segment was right all along ^^ )
I think we were lucky to get Cold Waters and UBOAT, the genre hasn't just been dying, it's been dead since 2010. Not even on hiatus, just flat out dead and buried.

I know some folks on here don't give a damn about new games, but I firmly believe that without them it's going to be harder and harder to keep people interested in the genre. New blood is essential to maintain a healthy community, and old games won't cut it.
Old 05-19-19, 08:26 AM   #54
difool2
Commander

Downloads: 30

The one constant with these latter day sims is their lack of any sort of truly open-ended dynamic campaigns. Now, you could argue various angles in response to that-d.c.'s are a devil to code, the "twitch" crowd has no patience for stalking a convoy over a period of hours, but the fact remains that, for whatever reason(s), we haven't gotten one since SH5. I just dislike precanned scenarios with little or no wider context/significance where it seems I am the only asset in the entire area fighting the good fight.
difool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-19, 12:02 PM   #55
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by difool2 View Post
The one constant with these latter day sims is their lack of any sort of truly open-ended dynamic campaigns. Now, you could argue various angles in response to that-d.c.'s are a devil to code, the "twitch" crowd has no patience for stalking a convoy over a period of hours, but the fact remains that, for whatever reason(s), we haven't gotten one since SH5. I just dislike precanned scenarios with little or no wider context/significance where it seems I am the only asset in the entire area fighting the good fight.
I've always believed the advent of 3d graphics are what fubared two things to not work well if at all in any game genre:

- saved games

- dynamic campaigns

It can be noted that that (3d graphics advent) is when these two functions started having problems/disappeared all together.

Sh5 was "easier" campaign - wise I imagine because of the work already done in Sh3 with one.