SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-12-19, 04:27 AM   #16
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Uboat participated in many different types of missions. Not just patrols. It's possible they did dives. This is just the demo so I think it's ok for now. I want to know how to get historical flags!
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 02:03 PM   #17
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianmarine View Post
Sorry, but the sunken ship in the opening scenario is on the ground. The stuff which was looted, were crests floating. There are videos were you see clearly that a diver is going to the wreckage. Don`t know what you mean it is not realistic.
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize it was aground. When I say "not realistic" I have to answer with another question: How many u-boats looted sunken ships? Did u-boats carry diving suits? If the answer to either of those is "no" then it's not realistic at all.

All that said, it still looks like fun and I'm still thinking about getting it.
Old 04-12-19, 04:06 PM   #18
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Negative:

Nice looking bow wake, but no propeller wake? That just looks wrong.

Rule of subsims: No submarine game shall ever be released, ... without complaints made about the propeller modelling.
Old 04-12-19, 04:28 PM   #19
AKD
Watch

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkera View Post
I think its most likely the fact that a diver from a Uboat would dive to the bottom of the Nth Sea to a wreckage. Very much doubt this would be realistic or dare I saw possible.
From what I saw in the videos, it is so implausible as to be downright silly. Not sure what it adds at all. Would much rather see boarding a disabled ship, seizing intel, scuttling the ship with explosive charges (something else to acquire and manage in port) then having to make a decision on what to do with the crew (allow to leave in boats, capture, or kill) with different consequences.

Or if the devs insist on the need to make a decision that costs the life of a crew member: you send boarding party to seize intel and bring back to the sub, while intel is being brought back to the sub in the launch, one of your officers remains aboard the disabled freighter to emplace demolition charges. During this time the enemy is detected approaching and you must make a decision to torpedo the freighter with your officer still on board to hide of evidence of the intel seizure. Would also be a handy introduction to torpedoing a very easy target (unarmed and not moving).
AKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 05:26 AM   #20
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

Yeah the diver & looting thing got a bit of flak on the steam forums too, since its not too historical, but IMO its no big deal as its a really tiny part of the game.
Plus You don't HAVE to do it if you don't want to.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 05:32 AM   #21
Parkera
Gunner

Downloads: 99

Ive been checking out this guys streams (TMTC) he posts on You Tube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6P...Chp7vPaUA9shmw) for the game and his latest video (its a long one) covers some convoy action.

Game seems to me as a SH3 player to simplistic in areas but I still like the potential it could have and also there not pretending to be the replacement for SH so accepting the game as it is and the potential its got is where Im at.
Defo want to buy and play with myself and feel it could be a great game to revitalize the subsim genre of games and also the devs do say that they will be making it mod friendly so that as we know can take a game from good to great.
Parkera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 09:58 AM   #22
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Downloads: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Rule of subsims: No submarine game shall ever be released, ... without complaints made about the propeller modelling.
Or flags.
Elphaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 02:03 AM   #23
italianmarine
A-ganger

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
Or flags.
Regarding the flags it is a political problem. The original Flags are prohibited in many countries. (even in Germany)
They let you use them only for historically documentaries etc. but we have awesome modders here which will fix the problem for sure.
italianmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 03:29 AM   #24
Hjalfnar
Torpedoman

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKD View Post
From what I saw in the videos, it is so implausible as to be downright silly. Not sure what it adds at all. Would much rather see boarding a disabled ship, seizing intel, scuttling the ship with explosive charges (something else to acquire and manage in port) then having to make a decision on what to do with the crew (allow to leave in boats, capture, or kill) with different consequences.

Or if the devs insist on the need to make a decision that costs the life of a crew member: you send boarding party to seize intel and bring back to the sub, while intel is being brought back to the sub in the launch, one of your officers remains aboard the disabled freighter to emplace demolition charges. During this time the enemy is detected approaching and you must make a decision to torpedo the freighter with your officer still on board to hide of evidence of the intel seizure. Would also be a handy introduction to torpedoing a very easy target (unarmed and not moving).
Well, German submarines DID carry such suits. So it is not entirely unrealistic, though actually using them was pretty rare. They were actually intended for hull repairs at sea, but sometimes used for other stuff. I know of at least one case where a sub lost a torpedo and as they were in very shallow waters, the diver went down, attached a chain and they got it back up.
Hjalfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 08:09 AM   #25
AKD
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjalfnar View Post
Well, German submarines DID carry such suits. So it is not entirely unrealistic, though actually using them was pretty rare. They were actually intended for hull repairs at sea, but sometimes used for other stuff. I know of at least one case where a sub lost a torpedo and as they were in very shallow waters, the diver went down, attached a chain and they got it back up.
It's not the diving suit itself (and it would be perfectly reasonable for a u-boat crew to use such to effect repairs in certain conditions), but the scenario of its use that is absurd.

A 1939 scenario where your u-boat attempts to abide by prize regulations to secure an important piece of intel is far more plausible, and actually tells a story that fits in the history of the war, while allowing scope for some dramatic exaggeration that doesn't cross the line into absurdity.

Obviously it doesn't make or break the game, but it certainly sets an odd tone.
Old 04-16-19, 08:20 AM   #26
Hjalfnar
Torpedoman

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Obviously it doesn't make or break the game, but it certainly sets an odd tone.
Hm, I don't know...I like it. The mission begins BEFORE the beginning of hostilities between the United Kingdom and Germany. Also, the ship has run aground according to the tutorial description, so it does not lie in deep in the water. If the German Abwehr knows there was something valuable aboard, I think it is absolutely fine to send out a small submarine that most likely nobody would be able to properly identify in the dark of night and try to salvage SOMETHING.
Hjalfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 09:02 AM   #27
AKD
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjalfnar View Post
Hm, I don't know...I like it. The mission begins BEFORE the beginning of hostilities between the United Kingdom and Germany. Also, the ship has run aground according to the tutorial description, so it does not lie in deep in the water. If the German Abwehr knows there was something valuable aboard, I think it is absolutely fine to send out a small submarine that most likely nobody would be able to properly identify in the dark of night and try to salvage SOMETHING.
The mission begins on Sept 3 and continues into the night, therefore after the start of hostilities. The ship is described as having been sunk due to "sabotage" (huh?) and you clearly find the location in the middle of the North Sea...at night...in a storm...

Devs need to decide if tone of game is Kelly's Heroes or Das Boot. I'm getting a distinct sense of split personality from recent vids.

Anyways, real history can be just as dramatic, e.g.:

Quote:
At 21.08 hours on 30 Sep 1939 the neutral Gun (Master J.M. Persson) was stopped by U-3 about 30 miles northwest of Hanstholm. The master came aboard with the papers of the ship, which showed that she was carrying contraband. While the Germans interviewed the master, the vessel suddenly began moving and turned towards the U-boat. Warned by a similar behavior of Vendia earlier that day, U-3 evaded quickly and sent a boarding party of four men, led by WO Lt. Fraatz, aboard at 22.00 hours. Shortly thereafter the U-boat had to dive when a vessel was sighted heading for the stopped ship, this proved to be HMS Thistle (N 24) (LtCdr R.W. Stirling-Hamilton, RN) which was attacked with one G7a torpedo at 22.56 hours. The torpedo missed and the submarine dived shortly afterwards, although they were not aware of the attack. The submerged HMS Thistle passed under the stern of the steamer, not knowing that Germans were aboard and prepared the ship for scuttling. The submarine surfaced after one hour and left the area, encountering the lifeboat with the Swedish crew. They told them to return to their ship as she was still afloat, but in the meantime the seacocks had been opened and scuttling charges were placed. The boarding party left the Gun in one of her lifeboats and were picked up by the Danish steam merchant Dagmar along with the Swedish survivors. At 05.30 hours, U-3 stopped this steamer to take off the boarding party and then went to the drifting Gun to sink her by a torpedo at 09.10 hours.
Old 04-16-19, 09:51 AM   #28
italianmarine
A-ganger

Downloads: 42

Quote:
The mission begins on Sept 3 and continues into the night, therefore after the start of hostilities. The ship is described as having been sunk due to "sabotage" (huh?) and you clearly find the location in the middle of the North Sea...at night...in a storm...

Devs need to decide if tone of game is Kelly's Heroes or Das Boot. I'm getting a distinct sense of split personality from recent vids.

Anyways, real history can be just as dramatic, e.g.:
so do you prefer only two types of missions? espionage/infiltration and seek and destroy like in Silent Hunter since it is more historically correct?

I love all of the SH versions but I like that the missions here can vary, as shown in the streams, even though it might not be historically correct. UBOAT is not advertised as Sim, so if the devs like their vision, they should follow it. You know Hardcoresim players like us can`t pretend to much otherwise the game will not appeal to more casual players.

If it will be easy to mod I am more than confident that some modders will make it more historically correct, harder and more simbased.
italianmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 10:20 AM   #29
AKD
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianmarine View Post
so do you prefer only two types of missions? espionage/infiltration and seek and destroy like in Silent Hunter since it is more historically correct?

I love all of the SH versions but I like that the missions here can vary, as shown in the streams, even though it might not be historically correct. UBOAT is not advertised as Sim, so if the devs like their vision, they should follow it. You know Hardcoresim players like us can`t pretend to much otherwise the game will not appeal to more casual players.

If it will be easy to mod I am more than confident that some modders will make it more historically correct, harder and more simbased.
As I pointed out, all the same goals and challenges of the tutorial could be accomplished with an entirely plausible scenario, one that would actually give you more opportunity to learn useful aspects of the game, and open up more varied gameplay, especially in the first months of the war.

Dealing with the difficult and sometimes inconsistent orders from BdU regarding observation of prize rules and risking your crew to board ships is a real challenge consistent with the tone of Das Boot or This War of Mine (I believe the devs have directly compared their game to both).

Diving for treasure or blowing the cook's brains out for burning eggs (with no apparent consequences!) is not. This is not a simulation criticism, but a story-telling criticism.

Last edited by AKD; 04-16-19 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-16-19, 02:38 PM   #30
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post

I'm glad I'm abiding by the rules.