SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-19, 11:06 AM   #1
Fred
Swabbie

Downloads: 821
Uploads: 0
Default Help required

Hello
First I am new to sub sim so hope this is in the right place to post.
Is it possible to change the number of torpedo tubes on a sub or if its not is it possible to reverse the direction of the tubes.
My total experience with modding is 1 week playing around with Silent 3ditor and the UPC files so I hope this is not a daft question. Any help would be appreciated.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-19, 03:54 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Hello
First I am new to sub sim so hope this is in the right place to post.
Is it possible to change the number of torpedo tubes on a sub or if its not is it possible to reverse the direction of the tubes.
My total experience with modding is 1 week playing around with Silent 3ditor and the UPC files so I hope this is not a daft question. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome aboard, Fred. Happy to have you with us.

As for your question about torpedo tube, it depends on the class of submarine. Most all classes of have different arrangements including bow and stern tubes. So reversing the direction of the tubes really isn't necessary. Hope this help. Check out the link below my sig for info on the US Submarines.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-19, 05:44 PM   #3
Fred
Swabbie

Cdrsubron7

Thanks for the speedy reply and the info on subs. I didn’t explain myself very well in the post. What I want to do is mod a late RN T class sub with 8 forward tubes and 2 stern. Having done a little more research I know tubes can be reversed as “Peabody” was credited on doing it on the RN T class in the download area.
To my knowledge there is no sub in the game with an 8 tube forward and 2 stern configuration so its got to be done from scratch.
As I said my total knowledge on moding is a week playing with this idea, it’s probably way out of my league and stupid to try. But who knows with a little help it might just be possible to do.
Old 03-20-19, 06:35 PM   #4
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Cdrsubron7

Thanks for the speedy reply and the info on subs. I didn’t explain myself very well in the post. What I want to do is mod a late RN T class sub with 8 forward tubes and 2 stern. Having done a little more research I know tubes can be reversed as “Peabody” was credited on doing it on the RN T class in the download area.
To my knowledge there is no sub in the game with an 8 tube forward and 2 stern configuration so its got to be done from scratch.
As I said my total knowledge on moding is a week playing with this idea, it’s probably way out of my league and stupid to try. But who knows with a little help it might just be possible to do.

Your probably right, but it would take one of the pro modders around here to say if it was actually possible. I wouldn't be surprised if it could be though.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-19, 10:44 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

keltos01 built a "T" Class sub, but I cannot find it by itself. It is in We Dive At Dawn (WDAD), a Bonus Mod for SubSim. keltos01 also did the Dutch T class, which has 10 tubes forward, found in his mod Zwaardvisch v1.3 - He has several threads around about his sub building, but I again, cannot find them... my "search" skills on the internet are about as good as my "search" skills when I'm looking for the car keys: "Honey, have you seen my car keys?"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-19, 06:36 AM   #6
Fred
Swabbie

propbeanie
Many thanks for the info on the WDAD T class will have a look for it. The one I found was in the “normal” download section. PS Love the Jimbuna quote.
Old 03-30-19, 12:36 PM   #7
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

I never learned 3D canvas type programs, but after 40 years of screwing around with computer games I'm a pretty fair hacker. So after reading this, I made a backup copy of the PORPOISE folder, fired up S3D;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4489

Then opened the NSS_Porpoise.sim file.

At the bottom is the wpn_SubTorpedoSys datablock, select Tubes, right click, select Add Array Item. Then go to one of the existing tubes, copy and paste the data from that, paste into the new tube;

door = NSS_P1_Door02_FRU_anim01
ext_door = NSS_P1_Door01_FRU_anim

Somebody who can use a 3D model editing program would have to add the actual graphics and animation, but yes, it is possible - I now have a Porpoise with 8 working forward tubes. Looks funky but it's operational, this was just 10 minutes of screwing around by an old fossil so I'm sure it could be improved on.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-19, 12:42 PM   #8
Sniper297
The Old Man

Picture posting thing wasn't working the other day, let's see if it is now;

Yep.
Old 03-30-19, 12:48 PM   #9
Sniper297
The Old Man

Pic of the S3D screen;

Old 04-02-19, 10:25 AM   #10
Fred
Swabbie

Sniper
Apologies for the late reply. Thanks for the help with the modding. I tried your way before but got nowhere so gave up. I must have been doing something wrong as I just had a second attempt using your instructions and it worked fine. I have got a working solution by altering the submarine UPC files then changing the other files like “data submarine” and “UPC data” files to match. Or even copying UPC file data from one sub to another. So I can now move torp tubes from back to front and swap guns around. It’s a working solution in that it sort of works but still has a few glitches and CTD a lot. When I get time I am going to try to combine both using the editor to change the sim files and alter the game file to match. Like you I don’t know a thing about graphics & animation, If I can get the programming cracked (Bloody difficult as I can’t read computer code) I’ll look into the other stuff later. Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-21-19, 08:25 PM   #11
The Kraken Wakes
Watch

Downloads: 5
Default programmer might be able to help

Hi Fred,
just reading an old post you did on torpedo tubes. I can just about read C programming and I have a hunch that SH4 was written in C++.
So I might be able to offer an opinion on the odd code fragment.

If you know how to swap guns please tell me. I use a Gato class.
I have various things I have learned how to do that I can also pass on...
instant reloads
super sub speed
awesomely powerful torpedoes
better armour on the sub
thousands of rounds of deck gun ammo.

Pm me if you like as I am not good at finding threads again,
regards
T K W
The Kraken Wakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-19, 03:17 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

RuthBrewer!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote