Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-19-18, 06:22 AM   #1
Miketney
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default OT: The Subsim Pet Thread

Hi, fellas! I thought of creating this new thread where we can light-heartedly discuss about the little furries in our lives, none other than our household pets. I own a ferret named Ozzy. Yup, it’s a weird pet to own, but I’m always fascinated by this type of critter. He’s a fun-loving bundle of joy, usually, plays and hangs out in his comfortable big ferret cage, munch on cooked eggs , and even cuddles with my wife while she watches TV. I hope to own one more someday, but for now, it’s just Ozzy and me for more fun-filled antics. What are your pet/s, guys?

Miketney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-18, 06:42 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

This is the Buna household family pet, Louie, a Lhasa Apso.

Below is him on his first day of arrival at eight weeks old and below that, almost five years old (July 22nd).

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-18, 03:34 PM   #3
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

This is in order from left to right: Sprinkles, Wendy and Dash.

Wendy is 15 years old and blind. She is a rescue from the Senior Dog Sanctuary. Love that little bugger!

Old 07-20-18, 03:11 AM   #4
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I take care of this loveable A-hole every now and then.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-18, 03:16 AM   #5
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

He looks lovable Dowly!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-18, 04:35 AM   #6
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Apologies for the long post but in our household we do have a few pets Most adopted or rescued from the streets

Dogs:

Tango - German Shepherd / Husky mix, got him when he was 1 year old from the previous owner who was not able to hold him in his small appartment and this boy needs his space to run about.

Happy Face

Toby - Rescue, dumped as a pup found by animal rescue hiding under a car with her sister who got adopted by someone else.

Cats:

Mouski - This one we got as a kitten from a teacher whos cat gave birth to a bundle of joy she's hitting the 18th yr old mark

Cinca - This one I found on the street as a kitten dumped, since it was night and she's all black I just passed her and it was our previous German Shepherd who basically stopped moving and stuck his nose against the small furball.

Aiko - my younger brother picked up this one. Picked her up at his GF place where they didn't like cats in the house so got constantly tossed outdoor nor did they spay the mom where this one is from.

Luna (Big red ginger), Carlo (small Ginger/white) Mona (black/Brown/Greyish) - Speaking of spaying/neutering your pets, I detest people for outlandishly refuse to do so if they don't plan to get kittens or pups. Nope they just dump the pregnant cat or dog or after it has given birth the whole nest instead of paying for the small price to get the animal spayed or neutered. Anyway Luna we spotted her on the street with 5 small ones, we quickly found out she isn't a feral cat, the younglins where a bit more wild except one which we could touch the others don't get very close. anyway one became roadkill and we noticed Luna got knocked up again...this is where me and my parents decided to take her in and give birth in our house of 6! new kittens and we managed to find good homes for 4 of them and got stuck with these two Mona and Carlo. We neutered Luna and managed to captured the 2 females of her first nest and neutered those as well to avoid the population in our neigbourhood to grow even bigger. Those 2 females and 2 brothers stay close to our house for obvious reasons that their bowls of water and food are getting refilled daily

Last edited by HunterICX; 07-20-18 at 05:12 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-18, 05:28 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

My grandfather had hunting dogs when I as a little boy, a wild bunch, but we played together. He also had a green parrot. A single one, which of course was not so good, but that was the time back then (60s and 70s), little understanding for the social needs of such animals.

At home, we first had a black collie, by fur looked like a border collie just in big size. Then came two Dachshounds, one with short and one with long hair. The short-haired was a battle tank, pure muscle, hard like wood the whole - huge - body. She had a psychic tick, but bullied away every dog stupid enough to approach her, she even fought and scared away dogs being much bigger in size. If it were not the looks of a Dachshound you would have sworn it was some pitbull-kind of dog, that muscular she was.The biggest, longest Dachshound I have ever seen. Nickname Kampfwurst - battle sausage. But she was shy, and gentle in character. She just could not stand other dogs, dogs hit her red button.

We had three budgies as well, extremely hand-tame and all day and night free, the cage never got locked, they even sat on our shoulders when we left the house for the garden. They were EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME, always with us, and a constant source of noise and good moods. Budgies and parrots living free in a household are amazing, and wonderful.
Old 07-20-18, 11:01 AM   #8
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
He looks lovable Dowly!!
He is really what I like about cats: he doesn't give two craps about entertaining anyone with his royal presence unless he wants something. In this particular case, he hadn't seen mom (her cat) for a couple of days so I got the honor of being his human scratching machine (lying on my lap). Not that I mind, he purrs like a truck.
Old 07-20-18, 01:08 PM   #9
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

This is Baby. My daughter got her for our grandson when he was about 4 years old. He named her. Now he is an 18 year old teenager who doesn't have time for cats. My wife and I have sort of adopted her. She has a thyroid condition that caused her to lose a lot of weight. She's a tad senile. This is what she does most of the time.

When she is home with just me I talk to her about world affairs, the weather and the mysteries of the universe. So far she has declined to comment on any subject.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-18, 01:16 PM   #10
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Those eyes melt my heart. Have a pat from Finland for me, will you?

EDIT: And many more years for the cat!
Old 07-20-18, 01:38 PM   #11
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Those eyes melt my heart. Have a pat from Finland for me, will you?
Done.

Quote:
And many more years for the cat!
Yea, she is hanging in there. She lost almost half her weight about 3 years ago and sometimes she is slow coming around in the morning. She gets treated pretty good.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 05:52 AM   #12
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

This has been a great thread Miketney. Welcome to Subsim as well. You are off to a great start. Platapus had a rather disturbing thread detailing a delinquent killing of another family's pet.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=238067

No one likes to see stories like this and I'm sure Platapus was equally upset. It's great to see members post pictures of not so much their animals but rather members of their family. In a number of cases, I know the pets of some Subsim members were rescues so again, it's great to see people open their hearts and homes to these animals. I'm sure they have saved their lives. I will be posting pictures of mine in the not so distant future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
When she is home with just me I talk to her about world affairs, the weather and the mysteries of the universe. So far she has declined to comment on any subject.

At least your cat pretends she is listening. Mine tend to ignore me completely and keep reading the paper.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 09:45 PM   #13
Johndee
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Default Any pet lover here?

When traveling with a dog in the car it is important to be safe. Having a dog, small or large, loose in the car can be distracting and dangerous for everyone. Dogs should be restrained while in the car but we want to make sure they are comfortable as well. I got her this dog car seat so that she will be safer while we travel.

Last edited by Johndee; 09-25-18 at 07:38 PM.
Johndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 10:33 PM   #14
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

Sure Johndee, there's lots of kind hearted people here with companion animals.

There's even a thread somewhere. How about you? Are you in Japan? Do you have pets?

I like Bunnies.
Old 09-25-18, 01:53 AM   #15
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Hi John, I'm a cat lover and only a half hour ago found him with a Brown Snake, I killed the snake and now the waiting game to see if he got bitten, this would be the third time, the vet said it would be his last!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote