SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #16
frau kaleun
Valkyrie
 
frau kaleun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Posts: 12,718
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard313 View Post
Now if I can just find that das boot mod I've seen from time to time i'll be all set.
Ah... but which Das Boot mod?

There are mods to give your officer icons faces from DB, mods to make the interior of your boat look more like the one in DB, mods to put your crew in DB-style fashions, mods to make the outside of your boat look like the one in DB, mods to put sounds from DB into your game...

...altho I think some of the latter was done with GWX, if I'm not mistaken the crash dive sound effect is one of the "ALAAAAAAAARM" sequences from the movie.
__________________
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #17
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rome
Posts: 4,237
Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default

Just hope you finished the tutorials on stock... cause in GWX, well...... you're toast...

And wait till you get comfortable with GWX before adding more mods. There's a LOT of mods that were incorporated into GWX, and you wouldn't want to duplicate or mess up something. Play a career, or at least a half dozen patrols, until you start adding more mods so get a feel for what stock-GWX should feel like, then start modding. That way if you do start getting errs, you'll know what baseline is.
__________________
Luck is a residue of Design.


Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:56 AM   #18
Sailor Steve
Jammin' Again
 
Sailor Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: High in the mountains of Utah
Posts: 50,276
Downloads: 607
Uploads: 249


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
...altho I think some of the latter was done with GWX, if I'm not mistaken the crash dive sound effect is one of the "ALAAAAAAAARM" sequences from the movie.
Yes it is, specifically the one from the end when they're attaced off Gibraltar. If you listen carefully you can hear the plane fly over.

They stole it from me. I stole it from the original DBSM made for SH2.

"Stole" being a relative term, of course. Everybody asked everybody else's permission.
__________________
"If mankind minus one were of one opinion, then mankind is no more justified in silencing the one than the one – if he had the power – would be justified in silencing mankind."
—John Stuart Mill



Sailor Steve is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:26 AM   #19
Howard313
Engineer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: America
Posts: 211
Downloads: 102
Uploads: 0
Default

well, the mod is installed, and everything seems to be running smoothly, no detectable slow-down unless i'm at port, which is nothing new and that happened in stock sh3. (Whoever made this thing deserves a medal btw.) I did find something rather....strange though.

I was midway though a patrol and I encountered a sort of ghost-ship, completely red in color with two light-posts on it, no flag of any colors. I watched it for a while and it never moved, just kind of sit dead in the water, so out of curiosity i fired two torpedoes at it, both of which struck their target, the ship broke in half and sank rapidly to the bottom of the ocean.

I checked the Captain's log to see if i got any tonnage from it, the kill wasn't recorded. *twilight zone music*
__________________

Howard313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:48 AM   #20
King_Zog
Soundman
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London
Posts: 143
Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard313 View Post
well, the mod is installed, and everything seems to be running smoothly, no detectable slow-down unless i'm at port, which is nothing new and that happened in stock sh3. (Whoever made this thing deserves a medal btw.) I did find something rather....strange though.

I was midway though a patrol and I encountered a sort of ghost-ship, completely red in color with two light-posts on it, no flag of any colors. I watched it for a while and it never moved, just kind of sit dead in the water, so out of curiosity i fired two torpedoes at it, both of which struck their target, the ship broke in half and sank rapidly to the bottom of the ocean.

I checked the Captain's log to see if i got any tonnage from it, the kill wasn't recorded. *twilight zone music*
What you encountered sounds like a 'light ship', basically a ship that acts like a light house for use when it is impractical or too difficult to build one in the relevent location, you can read about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_ship As far as I know GWX incorperates them just for added extra eye candy/immersion purposes and they are not 'game play' effecting, which is probably why you didn't receive any record of the sinking. Although it could have been a bug...

Edit: It's worth mentioning that like hospital ships, light ships were considered neutral during wartime by international treaties as they served a humanitarian purpose for the shipping of all nations. Although again much like hospital ships, this neutrality wasn't always respected and on occasion light ships were attacked and sunk during world war 2.

Last edited by King_Zog; 03-25-2011 at 04:18 AM.
King_Zog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:20 AM   #21
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rome
Posts: 4,237
Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default

Yessir, you sank some scenery.
__________________
Luck is a residue of Design.


Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:28 AM   #22
Howard313
Engineer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: America
Posts: 211
Downloads: 102
Uploads: 0
Default

Curses! Yeah that fits the description quite perfectly. Leave it to me to mistake a floating lighthouse for the Flying Dutchman.
__________________

Howard313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #23
frau kaleun
Valkyrie
 
frau kaleun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Posts: 12,718
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard313 View Post
Curses! Yeah that fits the description quite perfectly. Leave it to me to mistake a floating lighthouse for the Flying Dutchman.
Not that she isn't out there as well...

Okay I don't know that the Flying Dutchman is in GWX, altho I think Jimbuna had a cool video of a ghostly encounter stashed away somewhere...

But I'm pretty sure the USS Cyclops is. (At least she's in my Sea folder, and I think GWX probably put her there.)
__________________
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #24
HW3
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Irrigon Oregon
Posts: 5,501
Downloads: 425
Uploads: 0


Default

The Flying Dutchman would be labeled NFD in the Sea folder.
__________________

Silently hunting in SH5 with TWoS mod
"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #25
Madox58
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,578
Downloads: 72
Uploads: 12
Default

GWX has the U.S.S. Cyclops.

Not the DutchMan.


Madox58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #26
frau kaleun
Valkyrie
 
frau kaleun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Posts: 12,718
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0


Default

Yeah, I hadn't checked but I was sure there was no NFD in my Sea folder. I expect the Dutchman has to be added in somehow.

Is the Cyclops the one that has the Subsim "keelhauled" avatar peering out of one of the portholes? I know I've seen pics of that one around here somewhere.
__________________
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #27
Madox58
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,578
Downloads: 72
Uploads: 12
Default

Yep.
You see it several times in the Vid.
And in Game if you ply the Bermuda Triangle at the right times.
Madox58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #28
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea


SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Watching over U-253
Posts: 3,528
Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Yessir, you sank some scenery.
No worries, everything's fair in love and war - besides, scenery doesn't shoot back...
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:33 AM   #29
HW3
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Irrigon Oregon
Posts: 5,501
Downloads: 425
Uploads: 0


Default

The Flying Dutchman is setup to possibly show when the game calls for a Netherlands Frigate class 11 after May 5, 1941.
__________________

Silently hunting in SH5 with TWoS mod
"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:59 AM   #30
Howard313
Engineer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: America
Posts: 211
Downloads: 102
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Just hope you finished the tutorials on stock... cause in GWX, well...... you're toast...

And wait till you get comfortable with GWX before adding more mods. There's a LOT of mods that were incorporated into GWX, and you wouldn't want to duplicate or mess up something. Play a career, or at least a half dozen patrols, until you start adding more mods so get a feel for what stock-GWX should feel like, then start modding. That way if you do start getting errs, you'll know what baseline is.
The GWX mod actually satisfied what I WANTED the das boot mod for, and that was the German voices, more specifically "ALAAAAAAAAARM!!!" I don't know if it's just me but the voice in stock sh3 just seems kind of monotone when he's shouting it.

Ruins the atmosphere yknow what'm sayin? mhmm?
__________________

Howard313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problem , sh3 , steam , technical

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2019 Subsim