SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-11-17, 05:13 AM   #16
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Sometimes an old, analog, landline is really handy, if not essential, to have; I hope the worst is over for you and the missus, and kudos for checking up on the oldsters...

Re Catfish's question, I seemed to recall some SoCal companies offering special spray-on coatings designed to provide a degree of protection to homes during wildfires; I did a little bit of a lookup and found this article from 11/25/2007 about the products:

Fire retardants that protect the home --

http://www.latimes.com/business/real...v25-story.html

<O>
Old 10-11-17, 06:20 AM   #17
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I feel for homeowners in these areas. If they survive, they have lost their homes--and even though insurance can replace them all the trees on their property and in the area are gone forever.
Old 10-11-17, 07:40 AM   #18
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
I feel for homeowners in these areas. If they survive, they have lost their homes--and even though insurance can replace them all the trees on their property and in the area are gone forever.
All I saw on TV was sidewalks and chimneys left and whole neighborhoods wiped out.

Sad. sad, stay safe Aktung we would miss your strange, but quality personality
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 09:53 AM   #19
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
stay safe Aktung we would miss your strange, but quality personality
Hey! I resemble that remark! Just up from the all-night TV monitoring sofa(stiffnecked!!)no evac updates; newspapers at end of drive and a yellow sunrise.... and still no wind The chief has gone back to work after finally sleeping in his own bed. My two mine-canary cats are not twitchy from smoke inhalation as before-so I make the coffee; act normal; stay in pre-bugout mode's the game today. The map clarifies the situation: Lower red zone is two miles due west of me
https://california.liveuamap.com/en/2017/11-october-fire-on-mt-veeder-rd-mandatory-evacuation-ordered

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-11-17 at 10:24 AM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 02:29 PM   #20
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I also used to live in LA. LA is a great place to be from.
Old 10-12-17, 03:59 AM   #21
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Still in Uber bugout mode with three cars loaded with weird short-notice 'essentials'... Deeds, a sewing machine, wedding photos etc. Daughter had to go take original documents from her small museum as entire town of Calistoga to the north is is evacuated. 5000 people on the road to somewhere! I'm monitoring local channels for any sudden down turn in calm winds or movement of active fires just two miles to the west. This one is as bad as the Cobb Mtn/Middletown disaster of 2015-twenty miles north; Currently: over twenty dead and thousands of homes destroyed. As for the smoke: The worst hour was measured at Napa College on Tuesday at 8 a.m., breaking all records in the area. The air quality index of 486 for small particulate matter is so high it’s off the chart, Worst level =201-300 https://ww2.kqed.org/science/2017/10/11/bay-area-air-quality-worst-on-record-check-out-your-city/ An official 'spare the air' day is in effect through the weekend...jeeze! no barbequing! Correct 'particulate' breathing masks are in short supply at hardware stores. We do have a 19,000 gallon 747 Global supertanker helping for the firstime- really something impressive; video:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-12-17 at 04:23 AM.
Old 10-12-17, 05:07 AM   #22
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Still in Uber bugout mode with three cars loaded with weird short-notice 'essentials'...
10-12-2017, 03:59 AM ?????

you really are staying up all night ... get some sleep man.

Praying that you don't feel the heat ... good grieve hurricanes, fires, Trump, Rocket Man don't we have enough to worry about?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 05:44 AM   #23
vienna
Navy Seal

Aktungbby is like rust: he never sleeps...

<O>
Old 10-12-17, 07:07 AM   #24
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hey, he is not that corrosive!

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 07:49 AM   #25
vienna
Navy Seal

<O>
Old 10-12-17, 10:56 AM   #26
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
10-12-2017, 03:59 AM ?????

you really are staying up all night ... get some sleep man.

Praying that you don't feel the heat ... good grieve hurricanes, fires, Trump, Rocket Man don't we have enough to worry about?
I'm reminiscing the flash flood earlier this year in Feb that almost got me and now this. My wife and I are doing it in shifts; she's at the coffee table on laptop and the TV with the county gov channel with evac and fire activity updates. The N. Korean leader need not threaten to turn us to ash; we're doing a fine job on our own. After two quakes and now this, one agitated neighborhood housewife is referring to this as 'the slow apocalypse'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Aktungbby is like rust: he never sleeps...
<O>
Indeed! I am a night owl: probably the security work and long-haul trucker job influence. In these circumstances, it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Hey, he is not that corrosive!
....He said acidly.... At any rate, the fire activity due west of me approx. 8,000 ft. to the west, northwest, and now, southwest, has shifted almost due south during the last five hours. This particular fire is the Partrick Fire portion of the general conflagration now dubbed the LNU fire. Northerly winds and cool temps are in our favor...for the moment; the 30 mph winds did not occur as predicted; so for now: good. Smoke is still predominant and staying indoors is advised. If the winds shift back to normal westerly breezes and increase to 20-30 mph, the game can change drastically.http://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/wind-predictions-bring-napa-county-wildfire-uncertainties/article_3f8af9e0-4062-5c65-b307-0fd3353b9a91.html

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-12-17 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 06:05 PM   #27
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Take care Aktungbby.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 01:05 PM   #28
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Take care Aktungbby.
Quote:
#PartrickFire [update] west of Napa (Napa County) is now 12,379 acres and 18% contained.
slightly up from yesterday's 2% contained...winds from the NW expected to increase this evening. Saturday is expected to be difficult. Air quality is miserable; the color purple has just been introduced for worst condition 300-400 particulate level: ie Napa at 296 (was at 486!!!) ...what with the smoke haze 200 yard visibility Meets my morning paper morale boosting headline:

Old 10-13-17, 01:42 PM   #29
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default The true nature of a two-front 'LNU complex' war....

From the real-time situation map as I post: sitting with tv, radio, and computer... awaiting an evac order from the familyroom 'bunker': http://www.pressdemocrat.com/multimedia/7516058-181/pd-default-story-headline-xy

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-13-17 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-13-17, 01:49 PM   #30
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon9

Oh no, now it again looks like evacuating?!

Do you have breathing masks? Stay safe, and despite house and all: better leave in time!

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, wild fires