SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-13-07, 07:38 AM   #1
Crimsonghost99
Watch

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default [REQ] Increased Underwater Visibility

Hello all. I was wondering if there were a mod available that would allow for greater underwater visibility. Between the plankton ( at least I assume that is what all the floating green stuff is ) and the soup like consistency of the water its pretty hard to see anything. If anyone has one I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Crimsonghost99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 08:10 AM   #2
U-Bones
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 56

Redwine had one, Improved Underwater Visibility Stage 1, which I downloaded and use.
I can not find this thread ??

It is also mentioned in the MODS stickie, but the link goes to an unrelated damage control thread ?

Redwine, did you pull this MOD ?
U-Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 08:17 AM   #3
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

I guess this can also easily be done with the "MiniTweaker"
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=109854
Takes about 2 min to get in to it and just find "Water Transparency" or something like that. You also have "Underwater Fog" and stuff to play with. Its all in the "scene_dat.txt" file made by "nvdrifter"

Good explanation as to how by "MP" here
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...424#post495424
Old 04-13-07, 11:18 AM   #4
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

See this

remove or move to another folder :

placton: misc/impurity.dds
Water distortion: misc/turbulence.dds and underwater_disp_map.dds
Plants and rocks: library\undersea.dat and vegetation_kit.dat

it helps to have a nice and clear screenshots of underwater views, here is one but with underwater rocks

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 09:54 PM   #5
CaptainKobuk
Helmsman

Downloads: 0

I removed misc/impurity.dds to get rid of the seaweeds/plankton and the result was that the underwater view was then made totally dense and like pea soup. Like a game file was missing.

Can you just make a MOD that duplicates the cystal clear picture above, with exact instructions on how to move files. I'd also like to keep the rocks and vegetation on the seafloor. And just get rid of the floating green plankton. Exactly like the picture.

About the realism with this game's idea of what the water looks like. I've been to the Pacific in the game area. Unless there is some unusual plant or plankton bloom, the water is actually very clear. The average clarity all over the southwestern pacific is very clear. Exceptions are the coasts like around the York Peninsula of Australia where it's a saltwater swamp even in the ocean near shore. Tides create very murky waters there.

If i remember correctly, SH3 had different water clarity for different regions. Just an idea. Maybe the green floating plankton can be only associated with very shallow waters. Though i doubt that's achievable.'

thanks
CaptainKobuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 10:03 PM   #6
peewee
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 32

I'm using xp and by moving the impurity.dds to a seperate folder and adding 888 to the file name I've got rid of the plankton, but doing the same with the undersea and vegetation dats makes no difference at all, the rocks and seaweed are still there, I wonder if thats because dat files behave differently? I've not noticed any difference in the water clarity since removing the plankton, its exactly the same as before but without the green stuff floating around.

Last edited by peewee; 04-13-07 at 10:22 PM.
peewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 10:50 PM   #7
CaptainKobuk
Helmsman

Downloads: 0

I tried everything bit can't get rid of the green impurities in the water. The plankton or whatever.

I have XP, but still no go. Not a problem though that's irritating. Some places in the ocean really are full of floating green stuff. Like plant bloom.

Somebody will create a MOD that offers a solution soon enough i guess.
CaptainKobuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 09:46 AM   #8
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

I did this

I Removed the files from the library folder and stored in a new folder "Lybrary removed files" out of the sh4 folder.

(rocks and plants)
Undersea.dat
vegetation_kit.dat

And the same with the next files in the misc folder and moved to a new folder "misc removed files"

(water, placton and turbulence)
impurity.dds
underwater_disp_map.dds
turbulence.dds

I think that is very important remove and not rename the files, and move it to a previous folder or out of the sh4 files structure.

try this...i don´t understand how it can´t work in other computers.

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 05:15 AM   #9
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Begone foul Spam.

Reported.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 07:53 AM   #10
Zel
Sailor man

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee View Post
I'm using xp and by moving the impurity.dds to a seperate folder and adding 888 to the file name I've got rid of the plankton, but doing the same with the undersea and vegetation dats makes no difference at all, the rocks and seaweed are still there, I wonder if thats because dat files behave differently? I've not noticed any difference in the water clarity since removing the plankton, its exactly the same as before but without the green stuff floating around.

Yes, the dat files behave differently than the dds. The game will load them even if they are renamed. You can move them out of the sh4 folder.

In the scene.dat there is a value to modify visibility. Under Envdata -> underwater -> fog there is a value ZMax. Increasing ZMax will improve visibility.
Zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 09:43 AM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel View Post
Yes, the dat files behave differently than the dds. The game will load them even if they are renamed. You can move them out of the sh4 folder.

In the scene.dat there is a value to modify visibility. Under Envdata -> underwater -> fog there is a value ZMax. Increasing ZMax will improve visibility.
You do realize you're answering a post that was made three years ago?
Old 08-13-10, 01:31 PM   #12
Zel
Sailor man

Downloads: 8

Sorry about that. I didn't check the date..
Zel is offline   Reply With Quote