SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-08-17, 09:34 AM   #1
Uisce
Swabbie

Downloads: 49
Uploads: 0
Default [Suggestion] Just some thoughts

I love this game... PERIOD. My friends and I all play it at the same time on coms every night. Even though no coop/vs... (dear santa )

but having played the game for a while now, and having read as much as I can. If I may, I have a few thoughts to impart.
  1. I miss my plotting table. making mark points and fans and whipping out the abacus really do add to the experience for myself, and I am sure many of the Kaleuns here. I would love the ability to create points and draw lines and vectors directly on the tactical map. (possible mod request )
  2. The ability to enter course numbers directly instead of using the Tactical Map. I like the current method but in order for something like Voice Attack to be able to set course precisely as commanded you need that function... and by extent the ability to set torpedo launch vector/activate-distance without tactical map (keep tactical map method for snap-shots)
  3. I suppose this one is more of an extension of the last: the ability to select tubes directly from keyboard (1=1, 2=2, etc) or our own custom arrangement.

It would be cool if wire guided weapons could be fired without an initial course command (inheriting current vessel course upon firing). Basically firing straight ahead. or define course and place the mark (or enter it like above suggestion) before hitting a fire button. placing no mark behaves like the previous point. (also useful for dumb-fire torpedoes )

If you made it this far thank you for reading my post
I LOVE THIS GAME
Uisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 10:58 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I agree with most of your suggestions. I hope the devs will read this at some point.

Here some adds:

Tactical map:
For the map, and the tactical mini-map especially, what I suggest is the ability to toggle ON / OFF the trailing lines.
Reason: When evading torpedos, you want to see clearly the threats and all those trailing lines make it difficult.
Ability to plot markers and lines would be great so you can decide for an interception when the contacts are gone.

Strategic map:
Is nicely done, but for navigation I suggest to add the capability to plot waypoints and replicate the navigation helm to display and change the boat's speed and depth. Still you can manually overwrite it with the current method of navigation.
More important: Ability to pause the map while seeing everything (time freeze) and plan ahead.
Ability to enter 3D world at any time without combat engagement (for training purposes)

Single mission:
I have made it myself, but add a training mission that allows to chose ALL subs in the game against exercice targets.

General campaign:
I play a mod, but allow to chose all sides to play (RUS & US).

Thank you for a nice game !

Last edited by XenonSurf; 11-08-17 at 11:11 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 04:23 PM   #3
Uisce
Swabbie

^^ this

Also I may have a solution for the gripes I have heard and read from others.

regarding the jumping point of contact markers and the SOL%

during those times of uncertainty you could display a polygonal shape depicting the area of uncertainty.
I posted this in another thread, but i'll post it here as well for visibility and organization.
example 1

alternative example

you could imagine how wide that polygon would be if previous contact point was only SOL 40%. i'd imagine a threshold would have to be reached before this method appears. if not, any and all information coming from this would be useless.
and once contact is regained that "Projected contact point" becomes "regained contact point" and scales the uncertainty area to the new position. Remember just because you regained contact doesn't mean you know their range, speed or true course; you only have the new bearing.

Last edited by Uisce; 11-08-17 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-11-17, 01:13 AM   #4
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

"I like the current method but in order for something like Voice Attack to be able to set course precisely as commanded you need that function..."

VoiceAttack still works fine for ordering the general bell positions for speed since these are button presses. Since turns, dives/surfaces are also key commands, VA handles those very well since 10 presses give you 10 degs, etc. There are very few actions in the sim VA cannot do. Take a look at the keychart.

A glimpse of the profile I use:
https://spaces.hightail.com/space/qIn1aQLB0n

I have made this profile available as a link in the VA thread.

In addition, the free program "Auto Hot Key" lets you position the cursor over any screen position and click it.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 06:08 AM   #5
Uisce
Swabbie

Hey PV,

I am well aware of all of what was contained in your post. I use your VA profile Sir. (nice work btw)

"I like the current method but in order for something like Voice Attack to be able to set course precisely as commanded you need that function..."

I still think there needs to be more intimate control. It's not that I am ignorant of alternative methods, I just find them inelegant.

Cheers

-Uisce

Tags
critics, suggested features