SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-12-14, 10:35 PM   #1
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0
Default Reinstall Question

Hi,

I have been deleting and reinstalling SH3 quite a bit the last few days while I try a bunch of mods for testing. I have the DVD with no starforce so this is really no trouble. I go to the programs menu in windows and uninstall SH3 and then I delete the Ubisoft folder and anything in my documents. Nice clean delete.

My question is should I be doing anything with my registry? Is it REALLY important that I get rid of anything with Ubisoft in my registry or can I just reinstall without this process?
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 07:35 AM   #2
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

As long as you have no problems you can continue as you are doing. It is best to uninstall via the SH3 disk however. If you have any problems you then must uninstall via the disk and use a safe registry cleaner to complete the uninstall. It is also a good idea after this to inspect your hard drive to make sure everything is really gone.
I suggest you use multi-install to mess around with mod trials, keep a fresh unmodified SH3 file, and just delete the old one and copy the fresh one to the directory.
And of course stay away from the program files.
Old 10-13-14, 07:47 AM   #3
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

"stay away from the program files."

Forgive me I do not follow. What do you mean by this?

Thanks for the tips BTW.
Old 10-13-14, 08:09 AM   #4
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
"stay away from the program files."

Forgive me I do not follow. What do you mean by this?

Thanks for the tips BTW.
He means that if you are using Win 7 or 8 to not install the game in the Program Files, rather create a separate folder in the C Drive and install there.

If you are doing a lot of testing there is a great little mod that basically scripts all of the units out of the game, drastically reducing load times, which is a great thing when testing mods, etc. I think it should be somewhere in the d\l section. If you can't find it PM me with your email and I can send it to you.

Also another idea is to create a separate install for testing purposes, again saves you from what you mention above At one time with SH3 I had probably 5-6 installs. A clean install for comparing files, one for just testing, and 2-3 others for playing.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 08:14 AM   #5
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

I have windows 7 and it is installed in programsX86.

Again, forgive me for not knowing but is this location ok and if not, why?
Old 10-13-14, 08:29 AM   #6
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
I have windows 7 and it is installed in programsX86.

Again, forgive me for not knowing but is this location ok and if not, why?
It's been known to be buggy when installing there. I am using SH3 with Win 8.1 and have installed it to a folder outside of the Program Files in C. I called it Submarine and installed everything there. Same with SH3 Commander, it has its own folder outside of C.

If you do a search you will see a bunch of threads on this. Though I must admit I have not used 7, went from XP to Win 8.

Back in the Day

Old 10-13-14, 08:39 AM   #7
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

32 bit ganes always default to the program x86 folder unless you tell it otherwise.

The guys are giving you good advice here.

What I would do is create a games folder.

So the installation path would look something like.

C:\Games\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 3

I play both SH4 and 5 and keep my games in the one folder.

I am waiting for my SH3 to arrive so all three games will be in the one folder Ubisoft.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 08:39 AM   #8
Draka
Lieutenant

Downloads: 322

The key point is that starting with Win7, Microsoft has started imposing a lot of restrictions on anything in the Program folders - either Program itself or Program (x86). These are measures that supposedly deter or impede hackers and other malicious programs. Part of it is not allowing any files in those folders to be changed except under very rigorous controls - so any .cfg files are fairly well wonked.

Main idea is to install any files that are constantly being written to in any other folders than the Program ones.

Draka
Draka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 08:47 AM   #9
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draka View Post
The key point is that starting with Win7, Microsoft has started imposing a lot of restrictions on anything in the Program folders - either Program itself or Program (x86). These are measures that supposedly deter or impede hackers and other malicious programs. Part of it is not allowing any files in those folders to be changed except under very rigorous controls - so any .cfg files are fairly well wonked.

Main idea is to install any files that are constantly being written to in any other folders than the Program ones.

Draka
Nicely said

Back in the Day

Old 10-13-14, 08:49 AM   #10
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
32 bit ganes always default to the program x86 folder unless you tell it otherwise.

The guys are giving you good advice here.

What I would do is create a games folder.

So the installation path would look something like.

C:\Games\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 3

I play both SH4 and 5 and keep my games in the one folder.

I am waiting for my SH3 to arrive so all three games will be in the one folder Ubisoft.
Nice advice as well.

Back in the Day

Old 10-13-14, 09:28 AM   #11
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Here is that mod I mentioned above:Here

From the read me:

This mod is to be used to rapidly load SH3 by replacing the campaign files with blank files.
This is to be used when one wishes to load a mission or test a modification of files not effected by the campaign files.
When this file is activated via JSGME the player cannot play the campaign.

Back in the Day

Old 10-13-14, 11:04 AM   #12
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Wow I never knew any of this! Thanks for all the advice and tips.

Uninstalled everything, used ccleaner, defragged, and installed in c:/simulations/silenthunter3/...

Best forum ever.
Old 10-14-14, 09:15 AM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draka View Post

Draka
Actually, it started with Vista. So those systems it applies to as well.

Someone in this thread called it "buggy". Well, it is behaving exactly as Microsoft intended it. Considering that the game was made in the XP-era before Vista came around, it (and the programs that some modders made) expects it can do some things it cannot do anymore without raising the eyebrows of the OS. In XP everyone got a administrator account by default with much more freedom. So potential malware had free reign on your system. Microsoft decided rightly to put a stop to it, or at least make it harder to go by unnoticed. But whether the solution was a good one is something that can be debated.

From a gamer's or modding perspective it is certainly an annoyance if you find out that changes you made to the files did not stick. It may look broken, but it really is just preventing false positive potential malware actions.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 03:29 PM   #14
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Default Reinstall Question

I said buggy :-)

Maybe not a great use of the word, it was more to explain that the game does not run well when set up in the Program(x86) as it was not meant to. Once folks realized to install it outside of the Program Files Win 7, 8 and Vista ( I avoided it like the plague ), things were not that bad.

Back in the Day

Last edited by ReallyDedPoet; 10-14-14 at 04:12 PM.