SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-23-17, 01:05 PM   #1
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
gear B-17s over Germany !

B-17s over Germany !

Hello folks,

Here is a small eye candy mod for those who love airplanes, as me.

This mod introduces entire formations of B17 Flying Fortresses, the so famous American bomber of the Second World War. Each formation is in fact a unique air unit : all the airplanes of the formation are contained in the same file. This method allows to correctly place each aircraft in the formation, and to spawn many bombers with only a very small impact on the graphics performances (FPS). For example, the single mission attached to this mod will spawn no less than 651 B17s !

I have created 6 different groups of bombers, based on historical documents and pictures. Also a new sound comes with the mod, to give the necessary noise made by all these airplanes !

The model of the B17 is not new, this is the one which comes with GWX 3.0. I've just simplified a bit the model (still to improve graphics performances) and reworked the texture.

Also, it is possible to give to each bombers the condensation trails which appeared at high altitudes. This can be made easilly by setting the right bomb loadout in the mission editor (choose "High Altitude instead of "basic").

Now, the next step will be to add these units in your campaign file.

WARNING !
This mod could have a very bad psychological effect on your crew ! Use with moderation !

Preview pictures : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...6&postcount=34

D/L link : http://www.mediafire.com/file/hsagg3...Formations.zip

Read carefully the installation instructions (readme file).

Have fun !

Last edited by Kendras; 04-01-17 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-23-17, 01:11 PM   #2
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Just to make you feel a little more useless at the end of the war (immersive mod) ! ...
Old 03-03-17, 12:28 PM   #3
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
I just need a little help from a (not necessarily) skilled man in 3D modelling.
What do you need?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 07:09 PM   #4
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
cool Welcome back !

Hi gap !

Very happy to see you again !

About this mod, let me explain what I would like to do :

I got the in-game screenshot above by adding one by one some B17 airplanes. But the FPS were reduced to something like 5 ! To avoid this and save ressources, two things have to be done :

1. to make a very simple model of a B17 with a very simple texture, because they will be seen at very high altitude, so details are not required at all. To save you some time, there is a good model in GWX. It just has to be simplified (less polygons, no guns ....) and done in a single part (no child nodes for wings, motors ....). Moreover, I just don't like the texture, and I would prefer two different textures : a plain white and a plain brown.

2. to create a new single air unit which will be in fact an ENTIRE B17 squadron made with your small models. I can easily do that :

Other formations are possible : http://www.battle-fields.com/commsce...hip-formations

Last edited by Kendras; 03-03-17 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-04-17, 06:41 AM   #5
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

... kendras, you do not need multiple models to create such a formation; one single model, with multiple instances, is enough.

Have a look into the Seafort files done by Jeff, or into the ship models I did. All the files contain repeated instances of individual 3D models.

Cheers
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 07:01 AM   #6
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
... kendras, you do not need multiple models to create such a formation; one single model, with multiple instances, is enough.

Have a look into the Seafort files done by Jeff, or into the ship models I did. All the files contain repeated instances of individual 3D models.

Cheers
Yes, that's exactly what I want to do : repeated instances of individual and simple 3D models.

Old 03-04-17, 07:57 AM   #7
gap
Navy Seal

Hi again Kendras, nice idea

reducing GWX's B-17 model to little more than a silhouette shouldn't pose many problems. The same for tweaking its texture

I have some doubts about your idea of merging an entire squadron into a single air unit though, as this may lead to some weird visual effects giving up the trick when the "super-unit" is going to turn and/or climb around its virtual center or mass. Moreover, you might need to keep wings and rudders separate from the fuselage, as the unit_Airplane controller points to them, and I am not sure what could happen if the relative fields are left blank, or made to point to dummy bones on the model.

Last: how do you think that 20 identical models rendered at once can hang up the game? Sure, reducing model's complexity can help to some degree, but personally I think the contrail particles have a bigger impact on FPS than the rendering of the model itself. Maybe you should consider reducing the number of particles too, though I must agree that the current effect looks very nice

By the way, found this picture on the web:

The caption reads: Large formation of Boeing B-17Fs of the 92nd Bomb Group flying over Germany, 1943 ca.
Old 03-04-17, 08:07 AM   #8
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I have some doubts about your idea of merging an entire squadron into a single air unit though, as this may lead to some weird visual effects giving up the trick when the "super-unit" is going to turn and/or climb around its virtual center or mass.
Yes, I thought about that too. It won't be a problem, since the squadrons will fly always straight forward.

Quote:
Moreover, you might need to keep wings and rudders separate from the fuselage, as the unit_Airplane controller points to them, and I am not sure what could happen if the relative fields are left blank, or made to point to dummy bones on the model.
Some air units have no independent 3D model for the wings.

Quote:
Last: how do you think that 20 identical models rendered at once can hang up the game? Sure, reducing model's complexity can help to some degree, but personally I think the contrail particles have a bigger impact on FPS than the rendering of the model itself. Maybe you should consider reducing the number of particles too.
Tests are needed for sure. First, I will reduce number of smoke trails from 4 to 2 per bomber, no difference will be noticed at high altitude.
Old 03-04-17, 08:16 AM   #9
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Moreover, you might need to keep wings and rudders separate from the fuselage, as the unit_Airplane controller points to them, and I am not sure what could happen if the relative fields are left blank, or made to point to dummy bones on the model.
I think this doesn't prevent airplanes which don't have this kind of tweaks to fly and turn.

It just adds this : a wing can be destroyed. And if the zone relative to the wing is not destroyable, when its hitpoints are all destroyed the airplane falls in the water even if you don't see the wing destroyed.

Last edited by Kendras; 03-04-17 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-04-17, 10:13 AM   #10
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes, I thought about that too. It won't be a problem, since the squadrons will fly always straight forward.
Quote:
Some air units have no independent 3D model for the wings.
Quote:
I think this doesn't prevent airplanes which don't have this kind of tweaks to fly and turn.

It just adds this : a wing can be destroyed. And if the zone relative to the wing is not destroyable, when its hitpoints are all destroyed the airplane falls in the water even if you don't see the wing destroyed.
Okay. If, as it is likely, SH aircraft physics are ridicolusly simplified, your idea might work

Quote:
First, I will reduce number of smoke trails from 4 to 2 per bomber, no difference will be noticed at high altitude.
Old 03-04-17, 11:18 AM   #11
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

First try in S3D :

Let's see if this can fly now !
Old 03-04-17, 12:42 PM   #12
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

CTD !

Mmmmhhhh .......
Old 03-04-17, 02:18 PM   #13
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Take a look at the K-Ship in GWX.
It uses wings but they are hidden.
Old 03-04-17, 04:18 PM   #14
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon7

Finished ! It's working fine !

I just have to add the particles generators.
Old 03-04-17, 04:22 PM   #15
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Nice!
Do a video!!