Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-18, 04:38 AM   #1
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default Women are better drivers than men

.... oh no they bloody aren't: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=7870

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-than-men.html

At 09:55 this morning I was driving along Lighton Avenue in Kirton and a woman driver pulled out of Sentance Crescent right in front of me, forcing me to step on the brake... she neither slowed down nor looked as she came out.

I've been in an almost-wreck on so many occassions because of women driving like this, so I'd like to keep a diary here of future experiences just as a counter to the kind of claptrap above which we're now having pushed at us.
Old 03-31-18, 04:47 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Going on past personal experiences I would say that women in their early years are more cautious and adverse to taking risks unlike the young male, many of whom must think they are driving in a rally.

As both sexes mature they tend to become even more responsible but the figures suggest women have fewer accidents and that could be countered by the men claiming that women cause more accidents.

Spin a coin.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 03-31-18, 05:20 AM   #3
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Well I'll keep you posted...
Old 03-31-18, 05:25 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I'll call heads.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 03-31-18, 06:13 AM   #5
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Oooo, tails for me!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Old 03-31-18, 11:17 AM   #6
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

It's the cell phones, much more dangerous than firearms.
Old 03-31-18, 11:36 AM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I've been in an almost-wreck on so many occassions because of women driving like this, so I'd like to keep a diary here of future experiences just as a counter to the kind of claptrap above which we're now having pushed at us.
Personal experiences are never a good indicator of...well, anything. Since this has happened to you "on so many occasions", are you sure it isn't you who has a problem paying attention? Law enforcement and insurance records seem to indicate that women are less likely to have accidents, at least, as Jim pointed out, in younger drivers.

That does seem to be starting to change for the worse, as more and more idiots of both sexes seem to think they can text and drive safely.
Old 03-31-18, 11:48 AM   #8
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I mostly try to stay clear of Prius and Volvo drivers.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Old 03-31-18, 03:49 PM   #9
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Personal experiences are never a good indicator of...well, anything. Since this has happened to you "on so many occasions", are you sure it isn't you who has a problem paying attention?
How is a woman driver coming at me the wrong way round a roundabout anything to do with me not paying attention? And how are women suddenly pulling out of sidestreets and parking places right across my path anything to do with me not paying attention? And are aggressive female tailgaters there also because I'm not paying attention? I believe that it's because I am paying attention that I survive
Old 03-31-18, 04:42 PM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
How is a woman driver coming at me the wrong way round a roundabout anything to do with me not paying attention? And how are women suddenly pulling out of sidestreets and parking places right across my path anything to do with me not paying attention?
That's why I asked. People going the wrong way on a roundabout (I hate those things anyway) I can't do anything about. On the other hand, I had a friend a few years back who called me on his phone while driving. All of a sudden he yelled and swore then said something about the woman who had pulled out right in front of him. I didn't say anything at the time, but I had to wonder if her pulling out had really been that sudden.

I was in an accident thirteen years ago when something caught my eye off to the side of the highway. I probably only glanced for a second or two, but when I looked back the traffic was stopped right in front of me. My car was totaled and I was lucky to only have some bruised ribs plus some skin torn off my forearms (I hate airbags too). Entirely my fault, but it only takes one second.

Quote:
And are aggressive female tailgaters there also because I'm not paying attention?
I encounter lots of tailgaters of both persuasions. The number I think are actually being aggressive are fairly few. Most of them just find it easier to pull right behind somebody, not because they want to go faster but because it's easier to not think about what you're doing when the other car is that close. Just pull up and zone out.

It's not that I doubt your word, but it's been my experience that most people think they're better drivers than they actually are. Me, I know exactly how bad I am. On the other hand the LE and Insurance statistics say what they say for a reason.
Old 03-31-18, 04:43 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

^ Yankee left-side driving 101:roundabouts (like women) are "not for the faint of heart"...
Quote:
Horror stories about driving overseas are fun to tell, but driving in the British Isles is really only a problem for those who make it one. The most dangerous creature on the road is the panicked tourist. Drive defensively, observe, fit in, avoid big-city driving when you can, and wear your seat belt.
Having driven in Ireland, Scotland and England (not London-too dangerous for Yanks) and roundabouts in an eighteen-wheeler in New Jersey...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 03-31-18, 06:19 PM   #12
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Rounabouts are just now getting installed occasionally so people here are inexperienced with them, and judging by how many already do not understand, or comply with, yield signs and right of way rules it's not surprising. There is also a lot more just brazen lawlessness, people who just must be in the overtaking lane but don't overtake, people that are lost and do their thinking in the middle of the road, people who don't pay attention at traffic lights, people who run red lights, people who clog intersections, well just people being people but at speeds fast enough to kill.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Old 03-31-18, 06:58 PM   #13
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

That surprises me what you say about roundabouts, I assumed you used them of old. They are fraught with problems, not least because they are not all the same; some have multiple approach lanes/exits and when these ones are in the middle of a big city with the arrows on the roads indicating your direction of travel obscured by other vehicles... well... mistakes are often made. I make them, so I don't profess to be the ideal road user, but I am a careful one
Old 03-31-18, 11:10 PM   #14
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

My motorcycle used to be my only mode of transportation. I rode it nearly every day for years - rain or shine ... or even snow! Being so vulnerable and easily overlooked on the road tends to make one more attentive to what other drivers are doing - and planning to do. I don't do other things while I'm driving. I look around and check my mirrors often, and ninety-nine times out of one hundred I can tell you what another driver is going to do. Anticipating that and staying out of harm's way has kept me out of many bad situations.

In summary: everyone on the road is a bad driver ... except me.

Seriously though, it does help to think as though everyone else is trying to hit you and drive accordingly. It's called "defensive driving", and it can save your life. That's how I survived all those years on the bike - because it really did seem like everyone was out to kill me.
Old 04-01-18, 02:29 AM   #15
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

^Good and proper advice.

We have a road-safety slogan in the UK aimed at protecting motorcyclists... THINK ONCE, THINK TWICE, THINK BIKE... although it must also include awareness of cyclists. Emerging from side roads is a time to be especially aware (not an issue at all for that driver I encountered yesterday, but she was probably thinking about more important things).