SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-20-17, 10:25 PM   #5041
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantParanoia View Post
Apologies if this has been reported before. I was playing the latest public beta and found that i could see the sun through ships when it's obscured behind them or below the horizon.

June 15, 1943. 0601 base time. Approx location 119 06'E, 0 44'N

RampantParanoia, was it just this one ship, or were there several that did the "see through nightie" like that? What graphics card are you using, and what do you have the game set to in the Game Settings screen? Not so much the screen size, but all the other options in there? Like the "Volumetric Fog", etc.??

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus View Post
Do you have to start campaign?
If you have just installled FotRSU, and you want to play a campaign, you do have to start a new campaign, and you cannot load a "Save" from a previous mod or stock, else you'll crash the game. However, you do not have to play a campaign. The Single Mission files (Quick Mission) should all work, as well as the Multiplayer Missions and the Quick Patrols. In addition, the Submarine School missions should all work. Let us know if you have any trouble...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 03:09 AM   #5042
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1105
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Sorry guys for not commenting earlier, but I've been out of town, and there was no internet nor cell phone contact... wow, kind of nice...

As for those shots torpedobait, the ships being hung in mid-air is from "flying in" on the exterior camera. However, the ships having spawned, then crashed and burned on a hillside is not cool... Which harbor are you at there?

s7rikeback, the two tugs with the BB are waiting for outbound traffic to go by them, then they'll "guide" the BB to her berth... 'Course, that never happens, but that's the story, and I'm sticking to it. A little later, you'll see a tanker sitting out there with some tugs...
- the "skinless" beauties you have there? I have no idea... They weren't naked last week... - btw, some of the ships you see "parked" around Ford Island at Pearl Harbor are more than just window dressing, they're there for "collision avoidance", so that some of the inbound and outbound vessels make their turns in appropriate places, and then don't go into "back-up mode", and start merging with their neighbors...

Very cool idea.

As to my zombies - I'm going to rebuild my game directory to see if it's something I've done. I had no time last night to investigate.
Old 07-21-17, 05:16 AM   #5043
RampantParanoia
Watch

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
RampantParanoia, was it just this one ship, or were there several that did the "see through nightie" like that? What graphics card are you using, and what do you have the game set to in the Game Settings screen? Not so much the screen size, but all the other options in there? Like the "Volumetric Fog", etc.??
I noticed it while attacking a 2 ship convoy and it did it on both ships. I can't remember for definite but I think it did it in other ships I encountered later in the patrol.

I have a GTX1060 and I've got everything turned up to max or ticked from memory. I'll post a screenshot of the settings page if I get a chance later.

Edit: Pic below

Last edited by RampantParanoia; 07-21-17 at 08:14 AM.
RampantParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 06:59 AM   #5044
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Date Stamp: December 9th 1941

What the hell is going on here?

Far to many zombie ships floating around.... and too much ship to ship cuddles...

My first full game launch since v.0.56 due to other in-game projects, where i seem to start and finish wthin the museum area only.

My last visit to pearl was as above with propbeanie, testing dredging, and fixing several drunk units, including the tanker that kept wipping out the sub pen, next to sub tender..

When we left, it was running nicely, all textures in place, no cuddling units, no zombies...

Guys, can any of you replicate this, before i nuke my install incase it's a cross contamination please?

Ok panic over,

It's a problem with the Maru Mod.

propbeanie has inserted ships into Pearl, in FOTRSU v0.63 which are now only in the IJN rosters of the Maru Mod. The allied variants were renamed.

I'm going to have to rebuild the Maru Mod from the ground up to make sure no other naming issues arises, basically swing all the names back around.

Time to get busy...
Old 07-21-17, 07:39 AM   #5045
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Flying Ships for Propbeanie

Propbeanie asked: "As for those shots torpedobait, the ships being hung in mid-air is from "flying in" on the exterior camera. However, the ships having spawned, then crashed and burned on a hillside is not cool... Which harbor are you at there?"

The harbor is Miyako (Northern Honshu). The "flying" ships were viewed with the "Next Ship" camera (>) and were shown to be mixed in with the single file convoy I was tracking. The Free Camera (F12) did not show themat all when I approached my target convoy, which I thought was even stranger. It only showed them burning on the hillside after I had dropped the agent and used it (F12) to peer into Miyako harbor. They appeared to be the same ships I had seen earlier, positionally with respect to each other, and by type.

The sequence of events was like this: I tracked a convoy by passive sonar. I had not encountered many single-file groups before, so curiosity got the better of me and I used the Next Ship cam to see what was out there. It showed me a ship in the convoy, but surrounding it were a number of burning ships, some completely airborne and obviously misplaced. Next I used the Free Cam to confirm the mess I had found. That one showed NO burning ships, only the five or six ships in the single file convoy.

Later, after dropping off an agent( per tasking) just outside Miyako harbor, I saw a lot of smoke over the harbor in the periscope, and used the Free Cam to investigate. That's when I saw the ships all aground, some up the hill far beyond where momentum might have taken them. Again, this was in the October-November 1943 time frame.
Thanks to a lot of help, I've fixed my problem of how to post pictures, Unfortunately, I no longer have them since I cleaned things up to install v0.63. Sigh.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 08:38 AM   #5046
CapitaCatalunya
Watch

Downloads: 110
Default Some more issues with the campaign...

Apart from oddly placed ressuply missions, I have noticed something weird. I'm on a Narwhal on a full campaign (starting 1941) on the Asiatic Fleet.

Although for the first months I could deliver supplies, troops and spies without a problem, of lately no matter how near I get to the coast the "send boat" command will not appear. I tried everything, slow, near, everything, it just will not fire, and I have even damage several subs because I get so near to the coast!!

Any help??
CapitaCatalunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 08:59 AM   #5047
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

All is well in Pearl this morning:

Something's wrong with Propbeanie's install. The mod is fine.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 09:14 AM   #5048
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
All is well in Pearl this morning:

Something's wrong with Propbeanie's install. The mod is fine.
Cool, it's my install that's up the creak without a paddle.

Disabling the Maru mod - makes everything work again.

Soon have it fixed...
Old 07-21-17, 10:11 AM   #5049
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantParanoia View Post
I noticed it while attacking a 2 ship convoy and it did it on both ships. I can't remember for definite but I think it did it in other ships I encountered later in the patrol.

I have a GTX1060 and I've got everything turned up to max or ticked from memory. I'll post a screenshot of the settings page if I get a chance later.

Edit: Pic below

We'll need a graphics expert to tell us about that "Vertical Sync". You could try it without that, and see what it does. For some reason (probably my computer), I have trouble increasing the "Particle Density", but again, we'll have to wait for expert opinion / facts... In the meantime, do you have other mods installed, or did you happen to load a "Save" from a previous version, or another mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Propbeanie asked: "As for those shots torpedobait, the ships being hung in mid-air is from "flying in" on the exterior camera. However, the ships having spawned, then crashed and burned on a hillside is not cool... Which harbor are you at there?"

The harbor is Miyako (Northern Honshu). The "flying" ships were viewed with the "Next Ship" camera (>) and were shown to be mixed in with the single file convoy I was tracking. The Free Camera (F12) did not show themat all when I approached my target convoy, which I thought was even stranger. It only showed them burning on the hillside after I had dropped the agent and used it (F12) to peer into Miyako harbor. They appeared to be the same ships I had seen earlier, positionally with respect to each other, and by type.

The sequence of events was like this: I tracked a convoy by passive sonar. I had not encountered many single-file groups before, so curiosity got the better of me and I used the Next Ship cam to see what was out there. It showed me a ship in the convoy, but surrounding it were a number of burning ships, some completely airborne and obviously misplaced. Next I used the Free Cam to confirm the mess I had found. That one showed NO burning ships, only the five or six ships in the single file convoy.

Later, after dropping off an agent( per tasking) just outside Miyako harbor, I saw a lot of smoke over the harbor in the periscope, and used the Free Cam to investigate. That's when I saw the ships all aground, some up the hill far beyond where momentum might have taken them. Again, this was in the October-November 1943 time frame.
Thanks to a lot of help, I've fixed my problem of how to post pictures, Unfortunately, I no longer have them since I cleaned things up to install v0.63. Sigh.
We want to get all locations in the game spawning ships not only in the water, but in water deep enough to handle not only the apparent visible draft, but also to allow for their "magnetic trigger" depth, which is the part where it looks like the vessel 'bounced' a bit out of the water. The problem with the Japanese ports is getting in close enough to observe, and not get shot-up... There is a setting in the ME for "Render accurate shoreline", that might be at play in Myako. We'll take a gander later today. Any issues like what CapitaCatalunya describes below?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitaCatalunya View Post
Apart from oddly placed ressuply missions, I have noticed something weird. I'm on a Narwhal on a full campaign (starting 1941) on the Asiatic Fleet.

Although for the first months I could deliver supplies, troops and spies without a problem, of lately no matter how near I get to the coast the "send boat" command will not appear. I tried everything, slow, near, everything, it just will not fire, and I have even damage several subs because I get so near to the coast!!

Any help??
Is the Narwhal available from the beginning at Manila (I'm not near a computer right now)? Are you using the in-game Narwhal, or the 'Donation-ware' Narwhal? The 'Donation-ware version is NOT compatible with FotRSU. How many of these type missions have you gotten? What was the date of your last insert mission? Do you have any other mods installed?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 11:07 AM   #5050
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Date Stamp: December 9th 1941

What the hell is going on here?
Guys, can any of you replicate this, before i nuke my install incase it's a cross contamination please?

Yes, "nuke" your files. I just checked 8 different campaign starts, with 3 different subs at "Sea", or at "Tender" positions.......all are the same harbor traffic, nothing wrong with them.

I see you've found the issue in your Maru setup......good to know, I'll not be using it!

==============

As far as the AI Jap Submarine additions. I'll be taking your latest "201_Japanese AI sub Mod for FOTRSU" and having these looked at regarding getting them into the Museum. Stay tuned; before making other changes/additions to them let's get them into the game folder first. From there we should be able to determine which ones we wish to use. Personally, I don't think we need more than a small handful.....we still need to have them incorporated into the mission files along with the stock AI subs. Plus, have them fire a torpedo. Propbeanie, as previously stated the stock subs don't react well underwater.....that's what these subs should do.....stay surfaced for us to shoot at. Fine tuning them after getting them into the regular "Sea" folder......I'll have them ready later today.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 11:27 AM   #5051
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Yes, "nuke" your files. I just checked 8 different campaign starts, with 3 different subs at "Sea", or at "Tender" positions.......all are the same harbor traffic, nothing wrong with them.

I see you've found the issue in your Maru setup......good to know, I'll not be using it!

==============

As far as the AI Jap Submarine additions. I'll be taking your latest "201_Japanese AI sub Mod for FOTRSU" and having these looked at regarding getting them into the Museum. Stay tuned; before making other changes/additions to them let's get them into the game folder first. From there we should be able to determine which ones we wish to use. Personally, I don't think we need more than a small handful.....we still need to have them incorporated into the mission files along with the stock AI subs. Plus, have them fire a torpedo. Propbeanie, as previously stated the stock subs don't react well underwater.....that's what these subs should do.....stay surfaced for us to shoot at. Fine tuning them after getting them into the regular "Sea" folder......I'll have them ready later today.
Yep, when we originally named and cloned the maru mod, we / i cloned and renamed the wrong segment.

Already half way into renaming the new clones.
Old 07-21-17, 12:24 PM   #5052
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Yep, when we originally named and cloned the maru mod, we / i cloned and renamed the wrong segment.

Already half way into renaming the new clones.
Why are you renaming??

I'm posting a PM to those involved about an issue I just ran into.....Please read team.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 03:19 PM   #5053
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

No more -remove instructions! We covered this a year ago and now suddenly every single person who has installed v0.63 is going to have to reinstall their game from scratch or use SH4CMS to repair their corrupted stock installation.

This stuff cannot happen! Forget -remove ever existed and NEVER USE IT AGAIN!

If you have downloaded and installed v0.63 your stock game is corrupted. Heck, MY stock game is corrupted and I just installed it two days ago. We will have to rebuild our installations with certified stock original files. Your savegame files in \MyDocuments should be fine as is. I apologize for the error.

The file in the Subsim download area is temporarily suspended--you will receive an error message. Diownloads will be resuming when I fix the mod.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 07-21-17 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-21-17, 04:52 PM   #5054
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
No more -remove instructions! We covered this a year ago and now suddenly every single person who has installed v0.63 is going to have to reinstall their game from scratch or use SH4CMS to repair their corrupted stock installation.

This stuff cannot happen! Forget -remove ever existed and NEVER USE IT AGAIN!

If you have downloaded and installed v0.63 your stock game is corrupted. Heck, MY stock game is corrupted and I just installed it two days ago. We will have to rebuild our installations with certified stock original files. Your savegame files in \MyDocuments should be fine as is. I apologize for the error.

The file in the Subsim download area is temporarily suspended--you will receive an error message. Diownloads will be resuming when I fix the mod.
My bad call Everyone.

I did the the above "fix" without thinking.

Really sorry to have let everyone down... And for wasting everyone's time in having to re-fix, re-download and re-install the beta, It was not my intention to do so.

Again sorry to the team, sorry to the many users, who have helped us improve the beta day by day, week by week.
Old 07-21-17, 05:03 PM   #5055
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

If we had to pick a disaster, this is the one I'd pick. Relatively harmless but annoying. Easy to fix.