SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-21-08, 07:17 AM   #181
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'm very happy with the wave textures. My only thoughts so far are:

1. I wish the UZO yellow lines were a little bit easier to use but then I always have my WO to give me range if necessary.

2. I wish the waves could be bigger....i've been through Drakes Passage in the Southern Atlantic and i've seen big waves, nothing in SH3 or 4 comes near it yet. The boat tends to cut through the waves rather than riding them, if it rode them better then bigger waves would be great.

3. The clouds look really nice

4. With the sun behind me at dawn the pink tinge on the clouds looks great but the sky ahead of me should be darker.

5. The above are not criticism....just thoughts, nothing more. Its a great mod as i'm sure you know already
Old 04-21-08, 07:28 AM   #182
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
I'm very happy with the wave textures. My only thoughts so far are:

1. I wish the UZO yellow lines were a little bit easier to use but then I always have my WO to give me range if necessary.

How do you mean? What would make them easier?

2. I wish the waves could be bigger....i've been through Drakes Passage in the Southern Atlantic and i've seen big waves, nothing in SH3 or 4 comes near it yet. The boat tends to cut through the waves rather than riding them, if it rode them better then bigger waves would be great.

I wish lots of things about the waves. They are fairly editable but I left them exactly as they are in GWX because they affect many gameplay elements, such as:
- your fuel economy (which the GWX team have carefully balanced in 2.1)
- ship sinking dynamics (if I change the waves, it might make ships harder or easier to sink, and - much worse - in some cases it can make ships sink without you even shooting at them)

[As an aside, this is one of the reasons why I don't use EDE: those secondary explosions cause more damage to the ships, making them all much too easy to sink, IMO]

Waves could, and probably should, be edited, but the amount of testing required to make sure the game balance isn't upset would be rediculous, and there are other problems, too (see my posts in the "Thomsen's Waves" thread). So I'm staying away from this one.

3. The clouds look really nice

4. With the sun behind me at dawn the pink tinge on the clouds looks great but the sky ahead of me should be darker.

I do appreciate the feedback and I'm not disagreeing with you, but on this one I have to say: that's as good as I can get it. It took me an age to get it the way it is now; most of the dev time for OLCE2 was spent trying to get partial cloud right, it's by far the most difficult type of weather in SH3, mostly because of annoying engine limitations. So I won't be changing it now.

5. The above are not criticism....just thoughts, nothing more. Its a great mod as i'm sure you know already
Great feedback, thanks. Questions/answers above in green.
Old 04-21-08, 07:33 AM   #183
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

@Lopo, thanks
Old 04-21-08, 08:00 AM   #184
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Default 1.3 update in development...

Currently, the Ubermod uses a modified version of the GWX 2.0 particle effects. These effects were improved in GWX 2.1 so I'm updating the Ubermod to include those nice 2.1 effects.

The Ubermod will still be incompatible with EDE.

The Ubermod will still be compatible with Rubini's Water Stream mod.

Also coming in 1.3, the WO's weather report will now state visibility in km (English language only, and this change will only affect OLC GUI Special players).

Cheers,
OLC

Last edited by onelifecrisis; 04-21-08 at 08:34 AM.
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 09:55 AM   #185
Lapazeus
Watch

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0

Now that I've tested the actual gameplay a bit, I have a quick question about the GUI. I timed the target's speed with the chronometer and did the regular procedures, but I noticed that there's no scratch mark on the silver wiz wheel. I assume I still get the speed at 58° on the innermost scale, where the scratch used to be. Am I correct?
Lapazeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 10:04 AM   #186
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapazeus
Now that I've tested the actual gameplay a bit, I have a quick question about the GUI. I timed the target's speed with the chronometer and did the regular procedures, but I noticed that there's no scratch mark on the silver wiz wheel. I assume I still get the speed at 58° on the innermost scale, where the scratch used to be. Am I correct?
Correct. Actually there is a scratch mark there, but it's admittedly more difficult to make out than the old one.
Old 04-21-08, 11:35 AM   #187
Lapazeus
Watch

Downloads: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Correct. Actually there is a scratch mark there, but it's admittedly more difficult to make out than the old one.
Ah, yes. I see it now . It's perfectly visible, if you know what you're looking for.
Lapazeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 03:01 PM   #188
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Default Ubermod v1.3 released, plus videos!

Ubermod 1.3 is now available for download.
Changes in this version:
  • Included the GWX 2.1 particle effects (Ubermod 1.2 used the GWX 2.0 particle effects).
  • Changed the wording of the OLC GUI Special WO Weather Report (English language only).
  • Fixed the marking lines on the OLC GUI Special UZO (in 1.2 these were still the same as they are in OLC GUI 1.2.3, but OLC GUI Special doesn't have doubled mast values, so the numbers on the UZO marking lines have been doubled in 1.3 to compensate). The procedure for getting the range using the UZO in Ubermod 1.3 is: multiply the mast value of the ship by the number next to the vertical mark (seen in the UZO) which is level with the top of the ship's mast.
I've also uploaded two videos to FF. The text below is copied and pasted from post #1:

Ubermod Videos
Following the releases of GWX 2.1 and my Ubermod, I started a new career in a Type VIIB (2nd Flotilla, September 1939) with full realism except for external cameras (which I enabled for testing purposes ).

On my first patrol, while en-route to my patrol grid, I encountered a small, lone merchant in rough seas and torpedo'd it. The next day the skies cleared and the wind died down to 3m/s, and I bumped unexpectedly into a convoy. I submerged and watched the convoy approach, and realised I was in a ready-made attack position. As I had no map data whatsoever I had to improvise and use the tools, so I set FRAPS recording, thinking it would make a good demo video. You can download the full, unedited attack here. I was a little lazy in that I didn't bother to check flags, but the location of the convoy, and the presence of a Southampton class in the middle of it, made it a reasonable bet that the ships were British. In the video, Mark 1 (on the map) shows where I was when my watch crew first spotted the convoy.

When I came back to PD the Southampton class was stranded and required a coup de grâce. The medium cargo had limped on with the rest of the convoy.

I caught up with the enemy at sunset, but they had changed course and so I was once again attacking without map data. Nevertheless, I decided on a surface attack. The entire approach and attack, again unedited, can be downloaded here. My eels all missed their targets because the UZO marking lines were still set for double mast values (straight after this attack I released v1.3 of the Ubermod with fixed UZO marking lines ) so the range values I entered into the TDC were half of what they should have been. But, the video still serves as good demo for night time surface attacks in the Ubermod.

These two attacks are both audacious and would not work later in the war... but hey, it's the happy times! Might as well enjoy them.
Old 04-21-08, 06:23 PM   #189
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Fixed the marking lines on the OLC GUI Special UZO (in 1.2 these were still the same as they are in OLC GUI 1.2.3, but OLC GUI Special doesn't have doubled mast values, so the numbers on the UZO marking lines have been doubled in 1.3 to compensate). The procedure for getting the range using the UZO in Ubermod 1.3 is: multiply the mast value of the ship by the number next to the vertical mark (seen in the UZO) which is level with the top of the ship's mast.
Thanks mate, exactly what i was looking for.....sorry i wasn't more explicit in my original post. I wish I was a sub sim dev in my day job rather than being a gerkin slicer in McDoogals....oh well, you want FRENCH fries with that?
Old 04-22-08, 09:54 AM   #190
Lopo
Lieutenant

Downloads: 477
Default Oops

Well, I have just a little problem with the sun ... all is working fine and OLCE2 is a gem.
I have a flat sun even with the fix. I tried a lot of ärragements for my videocard (GeForce 8800GT) with nHancer in order to have a real sun... and I have it only with application for AA and AF selected but the price is high for the rest of the game!!!

Can somebody help me, please, to have a sun bright and shining because I only know how to sink a ship and absolutely not how to do with these stuff...

Thanks

Here is my videocard parameters with nHancer:

http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?i...e1copiehx9.jpg
http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?i...e2copiefm9.jpg
http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?i...e3copievv1.jpg

Cheers

Lopo

Lopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 09:56 AM   #191
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopo
Well, I have just a little problem with the sun ... all is working fine and OLCE2 is a gem.
I have a flat sun even with the fix. I tried a lot of ärragements for my videocard (GeForce 8800GT) with nHancer in order to have a real sun... and I have it only with application for AA and AF selected but the price is high for the rest of the game!!!

Can somebody help me, please, to have a sun bright and shining because I only know how to sink a ship and absolutely not how to do with these stuff...

Thanks

Cheers

Lopo
Do you get a flat sun without OLCE2 installed?
Old 04-22-08, 02:07 PM   #192
Lopo
Lieutenant

Default ...

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

Cheers

Lopo
Of course, you're right...

With GWX2.1 correctly installed and the same videocard parameters, I have a big flat sun!
I think that's something with serie GF8XXX videocards and absolutely not with your mod. I know that ATI users don't have the same problem. But I don't know how fix it...

Old 04-22-08, 02:15 PM   #193
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Default Ubermod 1.4 released.

Changes in this version:
  • Minor tweaks to all overcast weather colours.
  • Tweaked the colour of the underwater fog in clear/partial weather.
It's uploading to FF now.
Old 04-22-08, 02:18 PM   #194
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

Cheers

Lopo

With GWX2.1 correctly installed and the same videocard parameters, I have a big flat sun!
I think that's something with serie GF8XXX videocards and absolutely not with your mod. I know that ATI users don't have the same problem. But I don't know how fix it...
I have an ATI card and it's the same for me. AA settings (including adaptive AA) have a big effect. If I turn off all AA and don't apply my sun fix, I have a flat sun in OLCE2. If I max out both normal and adaptive AA and apply the OLCE2 sun fix (not advised) the sun halo takes up half the sky and is totally blinding.

You'll have to enable a bit of AA to fix it.
Old 04-22-08, 02:22 PM   #195
Lopo
Lieutenant

Default ...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

Cheers

Lopo

I have an ATI card and it's the same for me. AA settings (including adaptive AA) have a big effect. If I turn off all AA and don't apply my sun fix, I have a flat sun in OLCE2. If I max out both normal and adaptive AA and apply the OLCE2 sun fix (not advised) the sun halo takes up half the sky and is totally blinding.

You'll have to enable a bit of AA to fix it.
Thanks a lot for your quick answer...
I'll try it after downloading your last version. You are an untiring perfectionist. I like it... Thanks for all