SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-08, 01:46 PM   #11
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
PT, no worries. When I said "not constructive" I suppose what I'm getting at is... yes I know the fixed zoom level isn't for everyone, but folks have the choice, and I can't offer any more than that. If I knew a way to fix the pancake effect without breaking zooms, I'd do it. What bothered me about your post was, it's like you were saying that nobody else is going to like it at all... and I hope that's not true. Remember what I told you before, grasshopper: if you love your mod, it was worth making it; if one other person loves your mod, it was worth releasing it.

From a gameplay/functional point of view, for me personally, the only thing I miss (just a little bit) is the 1.5X zoom on the obs scope... the new attack scope zoom suits me fine, even if it's not a RL zoom level.
And what exactly happens if you add a 1.5x zoom to the obs periscope? Tecnically, if you fixed the waves to look good at 6x, when you zoom out to 1.5x (which is almost null zoom) they should look perfect as well... And even if they don't, you could use a 1x zoom, wouldn't it work?

If I make the waves look right at 6X and allow the player to zoom out to 1.5X, two things happen:
Firstly, the pancake effect happens in reverse i.e. the waves get bigger (huge).
Secondly, many graphical artefacts appear all over the place and the game becomes unstable (high chance of CTD).

And what if you set the attack zoom to fixed 6x? The double mast values is the only issue?

An attack scope fixed at 6X would be useless to high-realism players (like me :p) who get close to their targets.

Just throwing some "what ifs" to understand the mechanics, not requesting anything!
Above in green.