SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-08, 07:04 PM   #1
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3
Default What title?

OLC was here!

Last edited by onelifecrisis; 01-02-09 at 06:20 PM. Reason: What reason?
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-08, 02:07 PM   #2
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis

P.S.
Here's the binocs view:

There are missing some textures, is it not? The water is looking like silk. It appears to be a fabric silk throwed over a table. It's very complicated to make water look like water when you increase the waves height like this. Makes the game look realistic, but makes the game look ugly. The other pictures looks good. I was playing with OLCE and I noticed that the waves are never never never calm. Can't be like that all the time, depending on the wind yes the ocean can look like a lake sometimes.

If I could throw you a wrench, this would be it. Too many waves, waves too high, looks ugly. But the general idea is brilliant, keep it up!
Old 03-31-08, 02:25 PM   #3
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
There are missing some textures, is it not? The water is looking like silk. It appears to be a fabric silk throwed over a table. It's very complicated to make water look like water when you increase the waves height like this. Makes the game look realistic, but makes the game look ugly. The other pictures looks good. I was playing with OLCE and I noticed that the waves are never never never calm. Can't be like that all the time, depending on the wind yes the ocean can look like a lake sometimes.

If I could throw you a wrench, this would be it. Too many waves, waves too high, looks ugly. But the general idea is brilliant, keep it up!
First off let me point out that the waves in OLCE are exactly the same size and shape - in all weather conditions - as they are in GWX 2.0 (8km). They may look more "three dimensional" because of the changes I've made to reflections, but that's entirely graphical and entirely intended.

As for the ocean never being flat, I can't understand what you're talking about... check out the first screenshot in the OLCE thread. That's 0m/s and it looks pretty flat to me. :hmm:

Now as for the "silky waves" yes I know what you mean, I noticed it too, and set about fixing it when the combimod was in development. What I found is that I can change it so that the distant waves look better and more textured, but at the cost of making nearby waves look awful in a normal (non-zoomed) view. There doesn't seem to be a way around this, so I went back to the normal OLCE wave bumps and reflections (that's what you see in the screens on post #1 of this thread) and while I agree that those distant waves don't look as good as they could, they still look (to me) ten times better than the normal flat-as-a-pancake view.
Old 03-31-08, 02:32 PM   #4
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:

First off let me point out that the waves in OLCE are exactly the same size and shape - in all weather conditions - as they are in GWX 2.0 (8km). They may look more "three dimensional" because of the changes I've made to reflections, but that's entirely graphical and entirely intended.

As for the ocean never being flat, I can't understand what you're talking about... check out the first screenshot in the OLCE thread. That's 0m/s and it looks pretty flat to me. :hmm:

Now as for the "silky waves" yes I know what you mean, I noticed it too, and set about fixing it when the combimod was in development. What I found is that I can change it so that the distant waves look better and more textured, but at the cost of making nearby waves look awful in a normal (non-zoomed) view. There doesn't seem to be a way around this, so I went back to the normal OLCE wave bumps and reflections (that's what you see in the screens on post #1 of this thread) and while I agree that those distant waves don't look as good as they could, they still look (to me) ten times better than the normal flat-as-a-pancake view.
Did you tried doing that and also darkning what water color a bit? IMHO they are just too grey. A dark blue, more close to black (that direction, not that color) would look a lot better. I was over the water thousand of times already in real life and the water looks VERY much darker then that. Besides, I think that if you cut down the reflections on the waves, it will look much less silky and much more realistic. Its a silky "mirror" the way it is now.
Old 03-31-08, 02:52 PM   #5
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Did you tried doing that and also darkning what water color a bit? IMHO they are just too grey. A dark blue, more close to black (that direction, not that color) would look a lot better. I was over the water thousand of times already in real life and the water looks VERY much darker then that. Besides, I think that if you cut down the reflections on the waves, it will look much less silky and much more realistic. Its a silky "mirror" the way it is now.
Again we're thinking alike (though as an aside, this all seems much more like OLCE critique than combimod critique to me :hmm: ... but anyway... ) and yes, I tried darkening the water and "lessening" the reflections. These things sound good in theory but don't look right in practice, at least not to me. The reflections can't really be "lessened"... for example if I make the reflections semi-transparent, all you see "through" them is the fog colour, not the water underneath them. If I make the water darker it increases the amount of percieved "geometry" (those ugly squares) on the reflections. If I decrease the amount of reflectivity by increasing either the fresnel coefficient or the normal scale (which amount to the same thing) you end up losing percieved texturing on the waves, because most of the "texture" is actually distorted reflection.

I know OLCE doesn't look like real life. It just looks as good as I've been able to make it look within the constraints of the engine (and the constraints of my skill :p).

I just captured a combimod vid... should give you a better idea than the screens, so you can throw more wrenches :p

Uploading to youtube now...
Old 03-31-08, 03:14 PM   #6
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

YouTube res is rubbish as always but here it is.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nHdvxwDUkdM

BTW, wind speed is 9m/s in that video.
Old 03-31-08, 02:28 PM   #7
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Oh and one other thing... the waves in the screen you posted are 15m/s waves.
Old 04-20-08, 04:12 AM   #8
robbythesub
Captain

Downloads: 302
Default Download link

Hello

Very interested in your mod, but cant seem to see the link to the download here?

Thank you
robbythesub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 04:14 AM   #9
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbythesub
Hello

Very interested in your mod, but cant seem to see the link to the download here?

Thank you
The link is in post #1.
Nevermind... here:
http://files.filefront.com/OLC+Uberm.../fileinfo.html
Old 04-20-08, 07:44 PM   #10
Samwolf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 37

Does OLCE2 already have the Realweather fix applied? Couldn't find anything in the readme about it. Thanks

GWX 3, JSGME 2.3, Sh3 Commander 3.2 SH3 Gen 8.1, Water Stream for U-boats, LRT LITE 2.0, Lifeboats for SH3

Samwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 07:54 PM   #11
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwolf
Does OLCE2 already have the Realweather fix applied? Couldn't find anything in the readme about it. Thanks
Yes, it's included.
Old 04-21-08, 04:27 AM   #12
Einsman
Engineer

Location: In one place in the Atlantic, say A Coruña, Galiza (Spain)
Downloads: 187

OLC... You are a Genius!!!

Thank you for your job!
Einsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 09:40 AM   #13
Einsman
Engineer

Location: In one place in the Atlantic, say A Coruña, Galiza (Spain)
Downloads: 187

Hi!

Yesterday, I had the oportunity to play in SH3 with OLC Ubermod 1.3 and...

... It's hard (waves over scope) ... It's real... It's a great mod.

Living Silent Hunter III with OLC in combination with GWX 2.1 and SH3 Commander ... It's just another game!
Einsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 03:44 AM   #14
bruschi sauro
Frogman

Downloads: 64

this mod is ready for jsgme?
bruschi sauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 09:20 AM   #15
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder