SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-16, 01:48 PM   #1
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

radar [QST] Virtual machine running sh 3 on wn xp

Hello I am using windows 10 and i have a lot of crashes in silent hunter 3 generraly like even in wac 4.1 with only mag Ui installed I still get crashes on 512 time comp.
So i have a question who is familiar with virtual machine( Like allocated certain memory of hard disk and make virtual computer running windows xx) creation so someone could guide me how to create it.

Ask anything
Sorry for bad English
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-16, 02:40 PM   #2
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

I've used virtual machines before, but always through linux. I don't have win10...

but a few links I found.

XP Compatability mode in windows 10:

http://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-...on-windows-10/

This is what I searched for with google, I found several results.

windows 10 install windows xp virtualbox

It should show up as you start typing.

Main things I learned from installing a VM on linux is this:

Step 1: Learn how (i.e. google) to install the VM on your OS -in your case- windows 10.
Step 2: Then try to install it, if it works...
Step 3: Find instructions on installing the OS you want in the VM program. -This will change depending on how you install the OS.-
EXAMPLE: If I use a DVD to install the latest linux in a VM, the steps would be different than if I installed from an .iso file. (disk image)
Step 4: Install the OS. The advantage here is the virtual 'hard drive' that the OS goes on is just a file. If you make a mistake, you can simply delete the "virtual drive".

BE AWARE: a VM "fakes" hardware, so you won't have full advantage of the video and sound cards. Because your "real" OS (win10) is using them.
Some games will not work without a supported card, so unless the drivers are installed, which they will not install if the hardware (video card) is not there. And the driver 'thinks' it is not there because the VM is "faking" a basic PCI vga card, and not a new Radeon or Nvidia card.

I forget if it is AMD or Intel but, "IOMMU" has the ability to "pass" a video card to the VM.
HOWEVER it MUST NOT be in use, and it CANNOT be the main video card.

Example: I have 2 R7 370 video cards, they are in "Crossfire" mode. (both cards working together, Nvidia calls it "SLI") IOMMU cannot use the second card.
If I turn off crossfire (the 2 cards are now working seperately), and activate IOMMU in the bios, then I can use the card in slot 2 for the VM. But I would need drivers for it to install in the VM.
I would need Win98 drivers if I installed win98 on a VM. But since there are not any win98 drivers for the R7 370, then I could not do so.

Just some basic things to consider. I know it isn't a "walkthrough", but your PC hardware may prevent the VM from working as you hoped.

Hope it helps.

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 07-20-16 at 03:15 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote