SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-28-14, 02:18 PM   #31
álvaro
Torpedoman

Downloads: 1474
Uploads: 0

I understand what you say, Hinrich Schwab and Sailor Steve but I want to feel the same the crew and the captain of a U-boat felt in a patrol and combat. I´m going to try it and I would like knowing if you could help me in my project.
Old 08-28-14, 05:45 PM   #32
jakethescot
Engineer

Downloads: 904

Quote:
Originally Posted by banryu79 View Post
Another rule of mine -- Never ever use more than x128 TC factor --

And yes, that means it takes a very long time to just complete a single war patrol... but I like it very much in this way!
If I want quick & cheap videogame fun I turn on my Xbox...
I stay at 64. One min. my time is about one hour game time. Real time when in sight of ship. Real time makes it easier to change out tired crew.
Old 08-28-14, 10:00 PM   #33
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by álvaro View Post
I understand what you say, Hinrich Schwab and Sailor Steve but I want to feel the same the crew and the captain of a U-boat felt in a patrol and combat.
Sitting in front of my computer in my own home, knowing that I am a couple of mouse clicks away from restarting a saved game if my in-game persona should be killed, I am confident that I don't have the slightest inkling of what the captain and crew of a U-boat felt. YMMV.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 04:11 AM   #34
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Quote:
.. I want to feel the same the crew and the captain of a U-boat felt in a patrol and combat.
Oh please be rational: the only way to "feel the same" is to "experience the same" and that's impossible. You are only playing a videogame (call it a simulation, if you like it, for me SH3 leans more towards the game and less towards the simulation thing. In this regard I see DW more towards the simulation than the game thing, to be honest).

I say again: you are playing, after all... and I bet we can consider ourself very very lucky to not experience war, in whatever form.

Good hunting
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 04:40 AM   #35
álvaro
Torpedoman

Es más que evidente que no has entendido nada de lo que quise decir, banryu79 . No dudes ni por un instante de lo racional que soy. Por supuesto que sé que SH3 es un juego, pero como amante de los U-boote y de su historia, puedo leer, ver películas y jugar a ese maravilloso simulador como me plazca. No subestimes a nadie, ni pienses que tus conocimientos sobre este tema en concreto, superan a los de otras personas.
Good hunting
Old 08-30-14, 06:48 AM   #36
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Es más que evidente que no has entendido nada de lo que quise decir, banryu79 . No dudes ni por un instante de lo racional que soy. Por supuesto que sé que SH3 es un juego, pero como amante de los U-boote y de su historia, puedo leer, ver películas y jugar a ese maravilloso simulador como me plazca. No subestimes a nadie, ni pienses que tus conocimientos sobre este tema en concreto, superan a los de otras personas.
Good hunting
Bueno, también leí tu mensaje pero no entendí exactamente lo que estuviste tratando de expresar. ¿Exactamente cómo pretendes sentir lo que ellos sentían? No vamos a poder sentir como es pasar varias semanas lejos de nuestros seres queridos sin cambio de ropa o la posibilidad de ducharnos durante un tiempazo, ni vamos a sentir el terror mortal de estar unos 200 metros bajo el mar luchando por nuestros vidas contra personas que nos quieren matar.

Si sientes que no usar la aceleración de tiempo o "TC" te ayuda en alguna forma, ¡qué bien! Hazlo. No obstante yo la uzo cada rato y no tengo vergüenza. Ni loco pienso pasar 8 horas persiguiendo un barco cuando pueda lograr lo mismo en menos de 8 minutos con TC64. Mi esposa me mataría si pasara tanto tiempo en la computadora.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-14, 07:54 AM   #37
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Ehm, why are you guys writing in Spannish all of a sudden? (Or is it portugese?, if so, sorry)
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-14, 10:52 AM   #38
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Ehm, why are you guys writing in Spannish all of a sudden? (Or is it portugese?, if so, sorry)
Pisces, if you cut and paste the posts into Google Translate, I think posters' intentions will become clear. Because it is so easy to translate another language, I'm not sure it serves any purpose. It certainly doesn't make the posts inaccessible to anyone. Perhaps poster felt more comfortable expressing himself in a different language and didn't trust the AI translators to render his thoughts accurately. Nonetheless, that is probably how the majority of forum members will read them.

BTW, it's Spanish.
Old 08-30-14, 11:36 AM   #39
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Yes, I figured as much. But that would imply that banryu79 is able to read Spanish aswel. Or else he would be just as mislead by a possibly wrong translation. Anyway, I'm sure banryu79 meant it with no offense. Please, let's all keep out nerves calm.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 04:47 AM   #40
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Yes, I figured as much. But that would imply that banryu79 is able to read Spanish aswel. Or else he would be just as mislead by a possibly wrong translation. Anyway, I'm sure banryu79 meant it with no offense. Please, let's all keep out nerves calm.
I can't read/understand Spanish at all, I can read & speak in Italian and English only. I simply didn't read álvaro answer nor trubled myself to try and translate it (so I still do not know what he wrote).

To be honest I considered his behaviour (answering me in Spanish) a bit disrespectful to me (even if he didn't intended to be disrespectful but only wanted to express himself better): I too have my diffculties trying to express myself in a language different from my native one.
If I have difficulties I take more time to think what and how to write; I also use online translator (WordReference) to help myself but I always strive to write in English: I think the burden of translation is mine, not of my readers.

For me is common sense, and netiquette.
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 06:11 AM   #41
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by banryu79 View Post
I can't read/understand Spanish at all, I can read & speak in Italian and English only. I simply didn't read álvaro answer nor trubled myself to try and translate it (so I still do not know what he wrote).

To be honest I considered his behaviour (answering me in Spanish) a bit disrespectful to me (even if he didn't intended to be disrespectful but only wanted to express himself better): I too have my diffculties trying to express myself in a language different from my native one.
If I have difficulties I take more time to think what and how to write; I also use online translator (WordReference) to help myself but I always strive to write in English: I think the burden of translation is mine, not of my readers.

For me is common sense, and netiquette.
And your efforts are appreciated.
Old 09-02-14, 12:16 PM   #42
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3

He said:

Which means something like:

It's more than evident that you haven't understood anything about what I meant to say, banryu79. Don't doubt even for an instant how rational I am. Of course I know that SH3 is a game, but as a lover of U-boats and their history, I can read, watch movies, and play this marvelous simulator as I please. Don't underestimate anyone, nor think that your knowledge of the topic is greater than that of other people.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 07:45 PM   #43
Draka
Lieutenant

Downloads: 322

Hey, gang - see a lot of names from back in the day. Old 'puter blew up, lost all my work - since then a lot of water under the keel. Just getting back into this.

As to the topic, I am one that uses this as a simulator. I research historical crews, then re-create them in my games. I also never go above 128TC, and once a contact appears then it's actual time all the way.

When I am in the presence of the enemy, I DO experience a lot (not all) of the stress and emotions that would occur to the real Kaleun. Just enough to appreciate what they went through. This is, to me, the real draw of this "game" - as someone else said if I want just entertainment I'll go play World of Warcraft or one of its ilk. Lot less work if nothing else .....

Draka
Draka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 02:39 AM   #44
álvaro
Torpedoman

http://historisches-marinearchiv.de/....php?lang_cl=2

German Crewlists of World War 2
Old 09-03-14, 08:42 AM   #45
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I want to come to álvaro's defense here. "Realism" does not mean "real". It's a term coined by 19th-century painters to denote art that "feels" real. No, we can never be a u-boat kaleun, and I'm somewhat glad about that, but we can feel like one in our own minds. To those who say we are only "playing" a "videogame" I ask: Do you use the easiest settings and just set out to kill everything in sight? Do you use the hardest settings and set out to kill everything in sight, so you can brag about how good you are? Or do you use settings that make you feel you are onboard a u-boat, as much as is possible in a "videogame"?

Realism isn't about what "is" real, but about what "feels" real to the observer. All álvaro was asking for was information on mods that would let him have that feeling. There was really no need to challenge him on that and tell him how wrong you think he is.

In the words of Rockin' Robbins: "Realism is in how you play, not in the game settings."